Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2002, 04:56 AM   #1
suprarx7TT
CF Newbie

Transmissions

I dont know if a post like this has been made , but which transmission do you preffer , auto, or manual? Why and why not?
suprarx7TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 07:03 PM   #2
Mike

Manual

Can you make an automatic car into a manual car? If you can how much would it cost and will there be any problems with the transmissions?
Old 01-19-2003, 07:43 AM   #3
57ock
CF Addict

Re: Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
Can you make an automatic car into a manual car? If you can how much would it cost and will there be any problems with the transmissions?

Yeah you can. Cost wise its not very much, but just depends where you go. Its not very hard to do yourself. The hardest part is setting up the clutch pedal.

Australian prices its about 400 AUD for a gearbox.. depending on the car too. thats about 300 USD.

To get it fitted. not sure.. shouldn't be too much. After all, its not a big job.

I much prefer manual because it gives you better control. Auto is great for city driving.
Old 01-19-2003, 10:40 PM   #4
Mike

Thanks suprarx7TT
Old 02-06-2003, 12:16 PM   #5
RichG
CF Enthusiast

manual

Nayner = Good
RichG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 02:55 AM   #6
Aten

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57ock
Quote:

Yeah you can. Cost wise its not very much, but just depends where you go. Its not very hard to do yourself. The hardest part is setting up the clutch pedal.

Australian prices its about 400 AUD for a gearbox.. depending on the car too. thats about 300 USD.

To get it fitted. not sure.. shouldn't be too much. After all, its not a big job.

I much prefer manual because it gives you better control. Auto is great for city driving.

Have you ever touched a manual underneath a vehicle in your life? putting a manual in is easy compared to an automatic, but its not easy putting them in EVER. youre very lucky if you can get the splines to line up on your first time. Its not hard at all setting up the clutch, you just bolt in the different pedal base from a used car. Since noone makes mechanical clutches anymore theres not usually a problem setting them up. I suppose it depends on what cars youre working with, I work with RWD mostly that are a bitch to put auto trannys in because theyre heavier than ****. Manuals have to be aligned on the splines otherwise you could break shit when you start driving.

Automatics are better for city, also better for strip(powerglides and professional C4s baby), but for street its better to go with a manual, to get the best out of an auto you need a higher stall and brazed fins(with an anti balloon plate for nitrous)

manuals are harder on engines, lugging ****s up bearing surfaces, but is more economic in fuel efficiency. Plus manuals never overheat, unless you start burning the clutch which is a different story. Beating on an auto tranny can burn your clutchs and bands up, which is twice as bad as burning a clutch on your stick tranny. If you happen to back into anything with your car, you could blow up your auto tranny(I think only on RWD but not sure)

Heh if you drive in subzero temps every once in a while then it may not be a good idea to get an auto, autos wont drive when theyre cold, and you never ever want to know the smell when your auto tranny starts on fire.
Old 03-05-2003, 04:03 AM   #7
Aten

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57ock
Quote:

Have you ever touched a manual underneath a vehicle in your life? putting a manual in is easy compared to an automatic, but its not easy putting them in EVER. youre very lucky if you can get the splines to line up on your first time. Its not hard at all setting up the clutch, you just bolt in the different pedal base from a used car. Since noone makes mechanical clutches anymore theres not usually a problem setting them up. I suppose it depends on what cars youre working with, I work with RWD mostly that are a bitch to put auto trannys in because theyre heavier than ****. Manuals have to be aligned on the splines otherwise you could break shit when you start driving.

Automatics are better for city, also better for strip(powerglides and professional C4s baby), but for street its better to go with a manual, to get the best out of an auto you need a higher stall and brazed fins(with an anti balloon plate for nitrous)

manuals are harder on engines, lugging ****s up bearing surfaces, but is more economic in fuel efficiency. Plus manuals never overheat, unless you start burning the clutch which is a different story. Beating on an auto tranny can burn your clutchs and bands up, which is twice as bad as burning a clutch on your stick tranny. If you happen to back into anything with your car, you could blow up your auto tranny(I think only on RWD but not sure)

Heh if you drive in subzero temps every once in a while then it may not be a good idea to get an auto, autos wont drive when theyre cold, and you never ever want to know the smell when your auto tranny starts on fire.