Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-21-2006, 07:52 PM   #16
Bronxie
Dont know crap about cars
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Westchester Co., NY
Posts: 1,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythias
Maybe because it's a new kind of transmission, that might be why. Here's the answer, sacrifices must be made, in this case, NO you can't have every little ****ing thing you want, a transmission that does everything by itself, then has the option to be fully manual as well. What the **** sense would that make? Oh I think maybe I'll use the clutch and drive it myself for awhile, ok maybe now I'll let it just work by itself. There would be NO ****ING POINT. If this transmission does everything for you and has all the advantages, why the **** would you want the option to use the clutch yourself? Just so you can? If you want a manual, go buy a ****ing manual, if you want one of the most sophisticated automatic transmissions out there, that so far beats manual by a mile because it is superior, buy the SMG.

Hey, maybe I want every option it can offer because it costs 6000 "****ing" dollars.

Why would you want the option of choosing how to drive? SAME ****ING REASON THEY HAVE THE OPTION OF ALLOWING THE DRIVER TO SHIFT AND ALSO USE THE AUTO-MODE.

So it's STUPID that you might want to use the clutch for manual driving, but it's not stupid that they actually offer the ability to select and change gears and also the option of auto? How stupid are you, and how contradictory is that?

If there is NO point, then what is the "****ING POINT" of having the auto-mode and the "manual" mode? OH. According to you, I guess there isn't one, huh, dumb shit?
__________________


Driving a lotus is more thrilling than sex.
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 10:57 PM   #17
2PInZ
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 12
ok sweet....thanks for that explanation.

And yes, the nonSMG looks stupid. lolz
2PInZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 03:11 AM   #18
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-
 
Mathew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 2,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxie
Why would you want the option of choosing how to drive? SAME ****ING REASON THEY HAVE THE OPTION OF ALLOWING THE DRIVER TO SHIFT AND ALSO USE THE AUTO-MODE.

You're still not getting it. They didn't create this transmission so people would have the option to manually shift. If that was the case, it would just be a regular automatic with manual shift (tiptronic). The reason they made this transmission is because it shifts FASTER than a manual. It is the faster option for racing, and it IS DERIVED FROM RACING (which you ignorantly denied). Are you aware that conventional manual transmissions are not that common in racing, while SMG's are? Like most car technologies, SMG has trickled down from something more advanced, in this case racing.

As for auto mode, they just threw it in because it was possible.

And the reason its $6000, and I already explained this, is because its advanced technology, and its more complicated than a regular manual.

Finally, as Pythias stated, buy a manual if you want a manual, buy an automatic if you want an automatic. Having both is silly, and would be much more expensive.
__________________
Mathew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 04:22 AM   #19
Bronxie
Dont know crap about cars
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Westchester Co., NY
Posts: 1,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew
You're still not getting it. They didn't create this transmission so people would have the option to manually shift. If that was the case, it would just be a regular automatic with manual shift (tiptronic). The reason they made this transmission is because it shifts FASTER than a manual. It is the faster option for racing, and it IS DERIVED FROM RACING (which you ignorantly denied). Are you aware that conventional manual transmissions are not that common in racing, while SMG's are? Like most car technologies, SMG has trickled down from something more advanced, in this case racing.

As for auto mode, they just threw it in because it was possible.

And the reason its $6000, and I already explained this, is because its advanced technology, and its more complicated than a regular manual.

Finally, as Pythias stated, buy a manual if you want a manual, buy an automatic if you want an automatic. Having both is silly, and would be much more expensive.
Buying both is silly, yet this incorporates both into the technology. How contradictory..

I never questioned why it was 6000 dollars.

You said they threw in auto because they can. Ok, once again, same goes for the full manual. Why couldn't they?

Before we keep going back and forth and back and forth again, let me explain why a full manual might be desired. Some (me included) consider manual to be fun. The throwing of the stick and kicking of the clutch releases energy that you build up from adrenaline. There are some things you can do with a clutch that are useful. For example, when I brake in a manual I don't downshift. I go into neutral and brake, and then I creep up using the clutch. Can you do that with an smg? Also, have you ever done a clutchkick drift? You might not ALWAYS want the clutch to be controlled by the car. It's not ALWAYS going to be about speed and how fast and smooth it can shift.

You work for a dealership, right? Have you not noticed the technology advancement patterns? Basically, the companies add what they can standard so long as it doesn't necessarily affect you as a driver. For example, does BMW ask you if you want rain sensor wipers? No. They put them in, and if you don't want it, turn it off. This is the concept I am trying to get at. They could allow you to control the transmission fully, and if you don't want to use it, then just don't.

The confliction I see is with the shifter type. Obviously, this wouldn't work well as a fully functional manual for that reason. So I merely suggested, why not a system that allows both? It wouldn't affect the driver, and it wouldn't greatly affect the company. It might even be profitable.

Can you get the 7 series with an smg?
__________________


Driving a lotus is more thrilling than sex.
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 04:58 AM   #20
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-
 
Mathew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 2,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxie
Buying both is silly, yet this incorporates both into the technology. How contradictory..

I never questioned why it was 6000 dollars.

You said they threw in auto because they can. Ok, once again, same goes for the full manual. Why couldn't they?

Before we keep going back and forth and back and forth again, let me explain why a full manual might be desired. Some (me included) consider manual to be fun. The throwing of the stick and kicking of the clutch releases energy that you build up from adrenaline. There are some things you can do with a clutch that are useful. For example, when I brake in a manual I don't downshift. I go into neutral and brake, and then I creep up using the clutch. Can you do that with an smg? Also, have you ever done a clutchkick drift? You might not ALWAYS want the clutch to be controlled by the car. It's not ALWAYS going to be about speed and how fast and smooth it can shift.

You work for a dealership, right? Have you not noticed the technology advancement patterns? Basically, the companies add what they can standard so long as it doesn't necessarily affect you as a driver. For example, does BMW ask you if you want rain sensor wipers? No. They put them in, and if you don't want it, turn it off. This is the concept I am trying to get at. They could allow you to control the transmission fully, and if you don't want to use it, then just don't.

The confliction I see is with the shifter type. Obviously, this wouldn't work well as a fully functional manual for that reason. So I merely suggested, why not a system that allows both? It wouldn't affect the driver, and it wouldn't greatly affect the company. It might even be profitable.

Can you get the 7 series with an smg?


An optional clutch pedal would be costly and unpopular. I see how you like the idea, but the average BMW driver doesn't want a manual and automatic in the same car. It would cost too much to develop and would be too expensive as an option to be profitable.

No. Like I said, SMG is about speed. Its rough and jerky, but its faster. People don't buy a 7 to be 3 tenths faster. No one would buy an SMG 7, thats why they don't sell it.
__________________
Mathew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 04:23 AM   #21
skeetin870
CF Enthusiast
 
skeetin870's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Tulsa Ok
Posts: 208
One of the reasons that you could not shift conventionally is because it is my understanding that a SMG has its gears arranged in the transmission housing housing in such a complex pattern that the human in control would have a hell of a time learning to do it.

And yes in the M5 at least the SMG does kinda suck in auto mode and lifting to shift in manual is kinda weird at first.
__________________

skeetin870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 07:50 AM   #22
DannyDarko
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 28
Don't worry about it, he is a drifter and not a real driver...

he's just mad the car industry is making his sport less functional, to make the car faster.
DannyDarko is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.