Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2006, 06:00 AM   #16
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by x1/9-rally
I gotta say that I'm getting tired of these " I just turned 14 and 3/17 and my mommy and daddy said they would spend 35k to 50k to buy me a new car so I can show off to my friends and wrap it around a telephone pole in the first month.So what should mommy and daddy buy me?". You know what? Get a life! Why are you asking some dudes on the internet what you should buy? Why don't you do the research and test drive every car you might like and see what the pros and cons of each car are and go from there. If I had 35k to spend on a car, I would buy a 90 to 94 awd turbo DSM for 3000(for a nice one) and dump the rest in the motor and drivetrain and have the fastest 4 banger car in town. And if I was your dad I wouldn't buy you sh*t. You know what my dad said when I asked if he would buy me a car? Get a job and buy one yourself. Oh you want a Playstation 2? Get a Job. Your telling me you want a dirt bike? Get a Job. And now that I think about it, I should thank my dad for not buying me everything I want, cause I value everything (well almost) I bought with the money I have earned. So get a job instead of begging your parents for everything and maybe you won't turn out to be a spoiled brat that'll live in his parents basement for the rest of his life . And thats my rant.
Yea. My school is in a pretty rich suburban area and almost everyone is a prep with a new car. These are the kind of people that think everything is going to be that way forever, but then when reality strikes, they turn into the people that go on and on and on about famine in India. Get a job, and work for your shit, because your parents might give it to you now, but when you get into the real world, youre in for a BIG change. I would much rather own my civic that I worked for, than have my parents buy me a brand new car.
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 10:54 PM   #17
2PInZ
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
Yea. These are the kind of people that think everything is going to be that way forever, but then when reality strikes, they turn into the people that go on and on and on about famine in India. Get a job, and work for your shit, because your parents might give it to you now, but when you get into the real world, youre in for a BIG change. I would much rather own my civic that I worked for, than have my parents buy me a brand new car.

Don't worry dude, I'm from India...and yes i was lower class there....or i guess my dad was...and he took my family from there to detroit next to 8mile road, to florida, to Fairfax County....wealthiest income county in USA...so dont talk to me about not knowing the real world. I give all 100% credit to my dad....and if he's willing to buy me a m3, why not? Yeah i agree with you at the same time....there's madd kids here who would freak out the second they left this area....watching them walk through streets of philly or some of the rougher parts of the country would be shit to put on YouTube....but w/e.

Bttw....my parents not buying me an m3 until i get a 2100 on the SAT....so boo. I better frikin hit that up.
2PInZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 11:00 PM   #18
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2PInZ
Don't worry dude, I'm from India...and yes i was lower class there....or i guess my dad was...and he took my family from there to detroit next to 8mile road, to florida, to Fairfax County....wealthiest income county in USA...so dont talk to me about not knowing the real world. I give all 100% credit to my dad....and if he's willing to buy me a m3, why not? Yeah i agree with you at the same time....there's madd kids here who would freak out the second they left this area....watching them walk through streets of philly or some of the rougher parts of the country would be shit to put on YouTube....but w/e.

Bttw....my parents not buying me an m3 until i get a 2100 on the SAT....so boo. I better frikin hit that up.
2100? I thought the SATs only went up to like 1800 lol.

EDIT: Googled it, a perfect score is 2400. lol
Old 09-24-2006, 12:13 AM   #19
macarose
CF Newbie

Quote:

First of all, you're probably a phony and a fraud. No high school junior or senior with a decent education would write the way you do.

Second, if you indeed write it's VERY doubtful that you have the capability to handle this situation in the right manner....

A smart person would do this.

1) Offer the parents the opportunity to buy a used, safe and reliable car for you that costs a lot less money.

2) Ask them if half the difference in the budget can be invested in a mutual fund that yoyu would have access to once you graduate college.

This would actually be a good opportunity for you and your dad to learn more about investing in general. It would also give you the capability to pursue a healthy down payment on a home, apartment, or condo when you graduate.

By the time you're 30, that $10-20k initial investment would be worth anywhere between $50k (given an 8% equity return and 5% property return) to $100K (given an approximate 12% and 7% return respectively).

This is also assuming you're smart enough to have two other people rent out your property to pay for the mortgage, insurance, and taxes.
Good luck!
macarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 12:27 AM   #20
macarose
CF Newbie

Quote:

First of all, you're probably a phony and a fraud. No high school junior or senior with a decent education would write the way you do.

Second, if you indeed write it's VERY doubtful that you have the capability to handle this situation in the right manner....

1) Offer the parents the opportunity to buy a used, safe and reliable car for you that costs a lot less money.

2) Ask them if half the difference in the budget can be invested in a mutual fund that yoyu would have access to once you graduate college.

This would actually be a good opportunity for you and your dad to learn more about investing in general. It would also give you the capability to pursue a healthy down payment on a home, apartment, or condo when you graduate.

By the time you're 30, that $10-20k initial investment would be worth anywhere between $50k (given an 8% equity return and 5% property return) to $100K (given an approximate 12% and 7% return respectively).

This is also assuming you're smart enough to have two other people rent out your property to pay for the mortgage, insurance, and taxes.
Good luck!
Old 09-24-2006, 06:16 PM   #21
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by macarose

Good luck!
First off, I was about to congradulate the kid for having better grammar then your average person who posts on this forum and is actually from this country. So many highschool kids come on here and think they're texting to their friends.

Also, although what you suggested may be the smart thing to do, he's a kid in highschool. If you think a kid is going to do that you are sorely mistaken. He's got the rest of his life to be boring. He's young, he's got $ (well...his dad's) and he doesn't have a family to support.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 07:48 PM   #22
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxie
Why should he have to kill himself even if he is spoiled? What is this anti-kids-getting-decent-cars trend?

99% of the time on the internet, it's bullshit and lying to puff yourself up fo peopel you dont' even know. The rest of the time, kids don't appreciate what has been bought for them and simply use it to show off with, and insult those who DON'T get things handed to them.

Showing off isn't bad in and of itself, but showing off what your parents can buy for you doesn't show anything of your own abilities, skills, etc. it's like buying your own winning trophy instead of earning it. And simply doing good in school isn't earning it, as many of us who had no money growing up ALSO did well in school.

My first car was a $100 Pinto, that I went racing with. My stepson's first car is going to be my old '63 Comet S22 hardtop that we are going to restore together. Yeah, he'll show off in it, as a classic car, but it'll be showing off what HE learned how to do and how he used his own sweat equity and skill to bring back to life.

And he doesn't have to go on the internet and ask people he doesn't know what expensive gift he should recieve frm his parents...

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 09:21 PM   #23
Bronxie
Dont know crap about cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
99% of the time on the internet, it's bullshit and lying to puff yourself up fo peopel you dont' even know. The rest of the time, kids don't appreciate what has been bought for them and simply use it to show off with, and insult those who DON'T get things handed to them.

Showing off isn't bad in and of itself, but showing off what your parents can buy for you doesn't show anything of your own abilities, skills, etc. it's like buying your own winning trophy instead of earning it. And simply doing good in school isn't earning it, as many of us who had no money growing up ALSO did well in school.

My first car was a $100 Pinto, that I went racing with. My stepson's first car is going to be my old '63 Comet S22 hardtop that we are going to restore together. Yeah, he'll show off in it, as a classic car, but it'll be showing off what HE learned how to do and how he used his own sweat equity and skill to bring back to life.

And he doesn't have to go on the internet and ask people he doesn't know what expensive gift he should recieve frm his parents...

Yep I agree. I am not proud of what my dad bought me, not just for cars, but anything. I am working hard to earn my own money. I have my business with my two friends. www.activtecsolutions.com

Driving a lotus is more thrilling than sex.
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 09:59 PM   #24
macarose
CF Newbie

Hmmm.... I think it's deja vu all over again.

I grew up in Englewood Cliffs, NJ. Not too far away from your neck of the woods.

The reason why I suggested you do what I mentioned is that I ended up doing that my senior year. The investment that I made at the time was Chrysler and I bought it for $11 a share. I sold it soon after Mercedes bought them out many years latrer.

At that point in my life though I was not nearly as active as you appear to be in terms of business. Hell, I spent most of my time reading car magazines in the back of the class, shooting pool, and dating all the wrong women (for the right reasons).

My advice is to find a cheap sporty car that will be easy for you to work on and maintain once you graduate. An Acura Integra or Honda Prelude would actually fit the scene quite well and the good news is that if and when you want to customize, there are literally a slew of parts out there. In fact, either of those two models are far superior to most vehicles in the 25k range these days. The aftermarket has served both cars well.

Best Regards

macarose

Last edited by macarose : 09-24-2006 at 10:01 PM.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:49 AM   #25
Bronxie

Fairfax county isn't "the highest income county in the USA" anyways

By the way, your dad sounds a lot like my dad. He came from Iran to the USA by himself when he was 14. He didn't have any money. He went to med school in the dominican republic, somehow into residency even being a foreign medical graduate, and we lived in the Bronx with little money, until he got out of residency about 4 years ago, when we moved to upstate NY. We moved to westchester county a couple years later/ago, and being 4 years removed from residency, he owns two offices in NYC, he is the regional medical director for his company for the east coast, and yes, he bought me two BMWs (one which I gave to my sister cause I'm a good brother) He's a very hard worker and I have the utmost respect for him

Some day I'll pay him back ten fold

Old 09-26-2006, 09:45 PM   #26
2PInZ
CF Newbie

Quote:
Fairfax county isn't "the highest income county in the USA" anyways

It's the highest income county in USA, not wealthiest. I think our neighbor Loudoun County surpassed us recently tho :/ I moved here recently so i'm not sure

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairfax_County%2C_Virginia

I just read it there, so that's why i said it. I moved here from a pretty middle/low income neighborhood, so i guess im kinda psyched to see all these hummers/benzes/porches everywhere

Redskins suck.

Last edited by 2PInZ : 09-26-2006 at 09:49 PM.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:58 PM   #27
Bronxie

Quote:
It's the highest income county in USA, not wealthiest. I think our neighbor Loudoun County surpassed us recently tho :/ I moved here recently so i'm not sure

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairfax_County%2C_Virginia

I just read it there, so that's why i said it. I moved here from a pretty middle/low income neighborhood, so i guess im kinda psyched to see all these hummers/benzes/porches everywhere

Redskins suck.
Lol @ classifying hummers with mercedes and porsches.

Old 09-27-2006, 01:08 AM   #28
2PInZ
CF Newbie

Quote:
Lol @ classifying hummers with mercedes and porsches.

?

i know omg lmfao lmfao omg hahahha

-_-
Old 09-27-2006, 03:59 AM   #29
Bronxie

Quote:
?

i know omg lmfao lmfao omg hahahha

-_-

Because I said "lol" then suddenly that means I said something to the effect of "OMG LMFAO LMFAO HAHSHDHDS LOLLL"?

Classifying hummers with mercedes and porsches is like classifying apples with bricks

Old 09-27-2006, 05:58 PM   #30
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

Quote:
Because I said "lol" then suddenly that means I said something to the effect of "OMG LMFAO LMFAO HAHSHDHDS LOLLL"?

Classifying hummers with mercedes and porsches is like classifying apples with bricks
Not really, they're all expensive.

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote