Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2006, 05:33 PM   #1
intraining
CF Newbie

Transmission fluid in the gas?

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum, but I searched for this and couldn't find it anywhere.

I heard about this the other day, from a friend of a friend who said he did it as a prank, and I just want to know if it's even possible and what damage, if any, it would do to a car's engine.

Apparently, according to this guy, if you put transmission fluid into someone's gas tank, it will cause the area under the hood to smoke profusely, but won't do any real damage to the car. Does this make any sense to you guys?

I would assume that it would either stall out the car, or severely damage some of the engine parts.

Can someone let me know?

Personally, I think the guy was full of it, but if this is true, then I can see countless prank opportunities in my future...I just don't want to mess up anybody's car. That, and the wife, are two things of a friend's you simply don't mess around with!

Thanks, guys!
intraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 06:57 PM   #2
metallikat
CF Newbie

well, from what i understand, using ATF (automatic transmission fluid to you newbies) in the fuel will really clean out carbon deposits and gunk of that sort. its like taking Seafoam (god bless that stuff) and sucking it through your intake manifold vac port. really cleans her out. im not certain on the specifics of doing that ATF trick, but maybe theres someone who does know. and the only damage i could possibly see this doing by putting ATF in someones gas tank, is possibly damaging the oxygent sensor and/or the catalytic converter.
metallikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 10:54 PM   #3
jackal2000
CF Enthusiast

i would think it would foul the spark plugs and cause misfires??
Old 09-21-2006, 01:44 AM   #4
metallikat
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackal2000
i would think it would foul the spark plugs and cause misfires??
....no.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:52 AM   #5
thefonz
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallikat
....no.

Wouldn't it depend on how much ATF was put in?
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 02:49 AM   #6
metallikat
CF Newbie

atf is 1)not as thick as oil 2)made up completely different than oil and 3)...of course it depends on how much atf you use. but who in their right mind would put more than 1 quart in the tank, and even that is kinda overkill. half a quart for every 10 gallons should suffice, if one chose to use this trick.

so i suppose yeah, it would depend on how much atf was put in...but thats like saying "A dose of red wine everyday is healthy for you" then some ninny comes along and asks "well wouldnt it depend on how much red wine you drank?" that really was a stupid question dude...
Old 09-21-2006, 03:52 AM   #7
newyorker
MXman

Your friend is a moron
newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 11:20 AM   #8
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
Your friend is a moron

...because newyorker knows his own...

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 01:54 PM   #9
Bronxie
Dont know crap about cars

Quote:
atf is 1)not as thick as oil 2)made up completely different than oil and 3)...of course it depends on how much atf you use. but who in their right mind would put more than 1 quart in the tank, and even that is kinda overkill. half a quart for every 10 gallons should suffice, if one chose to use this trick.

so i suppose yeah, it would depend on how much atf was put in...but thats like saying "A dose of red wine everyday is healthy for you" then some ninny comes along and asks "well wouldnt it depend on how much red wine you drank?" that really was a stupid question dude...

Lol @ ninny

Driving a lotus is more thrilling than sex.
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 02:49 PM   #10
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger65
...because newyorker knows his own...
that doesnt make sense
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 11:36 PM   #11
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
that doesnt make sense

...not to you, no...

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 11:49 PM   #12
thefonz
CF Addict

Quote:

It was said more out of humor but I don't think it was stupid. If you got some dumbass trying to do this cause they heard about it from someone and think, 'hey i'll try that'. So the car has maybe 3 gallons of gas left in it, and the D.A. thinks 'hey, more atf, more smoke.... let's put in like a gallon dude, this will be funny as crap'.
We have no idea of knowing their thought process. So your response saying no it won't foul out plugs or cause a misfire is correct? Not exactly, but I know what you mean.Your quote "but who in their right mind would put more than 1 quart in the tank, and even that is kinda overkill. half a quart for every 10 gallons should suffice, if one chose to use this trick." Exactly my point!
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 12:23 AM   #13
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
well, from what i understand, using ATF (automatic transmission fluid to you newbies) in the fuel will really clean out carbon deposits and gunk of that sort. its like taking Seafoam (god bless that stuff) and sucking it through your intake manifold vac port. really cleans her out. im not certain on the specifics of doing that ATF trick, but maybe theres someone who does know. and the only damage i could possibly see this doing by putting ATF in someones gas tank, is possibly damaging the oxygent sensor and/or the catalytic converter.
Quote:

Strange, isn't it? Someone who would pass along misinformation such as this crap, calling others newbies. Well newb, the bullsh*t that you're passing along as knowledge, while not 100% incorrect, is nowhere near correct.

Once upon a long time ago it was semi-common practice to slowly pour ATF down the carburetor while running the engine at about 2500-3000 rpm. All this did was super heat the combustion chamber for a short time which would help to break up carbon deposits and potentially lubricate the intake valve guides. While it was never the right thing to do, it was used by shadetrees and occasionally professionals alike to get a bit more life out of an engine before it had to be disassembled and decoked.

Running ATF in any amount in a modern cars gas tank is not only idiotic, it is also unnecessary and counter productive. Due to modern engine management and unleaded gas, even most poorly maintained engines will have near zero carbon deposits at well over 150k miles. In addition to that, continually running ATF through the engine will cause the PCM to flag potentially several DTC's along with rapidly destroying the O2 sensors and the catalytic converter(s).

Finally, your comment about ATF not being as thick as engine oil is in a word, ignorant. Surprise. Dexron III, inarguably the most common ATF worldwide, has a viscosity of approximately 5w20. The same viscosity engine oil that many (most?) manufacturers are going to as engine tolerances become closer.

Just think, all you had to do was say nothing at all instead of speaking up and removing all doubt. Think about it.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 02:16 AM   #14
jackal2000
CF Enthusiast

welcome back hobo!! lol
Old 09-22-2006, 02:45 AM   #15
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Would this work the same way seafoam does or no?

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote