Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2006, 01:48 AM   #1
M_Smith12
CF Newbie

Car of Truck??

Whats up everyone...so iI just turned 16 and my parents are talking about getting me a car and they say i can choose a car/truck I want as long as I pay for it. So I would like to get some type of car that will let me do a lot to it (tune it, rims, body kit, exhaust etc.) but I'm also from Kansas so I have that Counrty boy in me that wants to get me a truck. I don't know all that i can do to a truck so i really can't decide. So I'm hoping some of you guys can give me some ideas as to what would be better for me to get (a car or truck) and what could I be able to do that car or truck

thanks

p.s

I posted this in the motorsports section not knowing i was in that section so sry about that
M_Smith12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 03:03 AM   #2
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

What do you want? None of us can make that decision for you. What kinds of cars do you like? How much do you have to spend? Do you want the truck to be a functional towing machine, or just a front seat with a bed in the back for show?
Old 10-04-2006, 04:10 AM   #3
Leech3030
CF Newbie

Are you looking for power or tuner

Leech3030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 05:04 AM   #4
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Well for trucks, these sites can help give you some ideas on what can be done:

http://www.stylinconcepts.com/
http://www.sporttruckdirect.com/
http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/
http://www.eastcoastcustoms.com/

That seems to be mostly for smaller trucks (Ranger, S10/S15..) though..

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 05:50 AM   #5
Bronxie
Dont know crap about cars

If you're getting a truck, that's cool, trucks have their places in the world too. But just don't be a douche and get like a rear spoiler.. Nothing is more perturbing than seeing a huge truck drive by with a rear spoiler on the end of its trunk, like it actually has some tactical advantage, or they're gonna go racing the truck and want to create resistance so the truck doesn't fly away or something at high speeds.

Driving a lotus is more thrilling than sex.
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 07:22 PM   #6
M_Smith12
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacFan27
What do you want? None of us can make that decision for you. What kinds of cars do you like? How much do you have to spend? Do you want the truck to be a functional towing machine, or just a front seat with a bed in the back for show?

Umm I'm prolly leaning towards getting a car just for the fact that trucks will take up a lot of gas. For the most part I like cars that I can mod and that has plenty of parts available and they'll be easy to find as well. But then I don't want to get like a civic just for the fact that a lot of people have them. I'm trying to look for something unique but not to unique to where its nearly impossible to find any of the parts that I want to install on the car
Old 10-04-2006, 08:24 PM   #7
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

Alright, how much you looking to spend?
Old 10-04-2006, 08:40 PM   #8
M_Smith12
CF Newbie

Umm I would prolly say 10 grand at the most just soo i'll have a couple grand to spend on parts and what not
Old 10-04-2006, 09:37 PM   #9
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

An El Camino (or Caballero for the Canucks) might be the ticket. I wouldn't put a body kit on it, but a shiny black paint job, wheels, cowl hood, and exhaust would be real nice. Probably not great for offroading, but it's got the usefullness of a truckbed. I'd get one with a 350 V8, or plan on doing a swap. There are a million parts out there for the 350. Ford made a similiar vehicle called the Ranchero, but El Camino > Ranchero IMHO. You'll be beating the ricers you might have become had you gotten a tuner car, and getting thumbs up from the truck guys at the same time .

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 09:38 PM   #10
Bronxie
Dont know crap about cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by giant016
An El Camino (or Caballero for the Canucks) might be the ticket. I wouldn't put a body kit on it, but a shiny black paint job, wheels, cowl hood, and exhaust would be real nice. Probably not great for offroading, but it's got the usefullness of a truckbed. I'd get one with a 350 V8, or plan on doing a swap. There are a million parts out there for the 350. Ford made a similiar vehicle called the Ranchero, but El Camino > Ranchero IMHO. You'll be beating the ricers you might have become had you gotten a tuner car, and getting thumbs up from the truck guys at the same time .
Because who doesn't want a thumbs up from a truck guy?

Driving a lotus is more thrilling than sex.
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 10:10 PM   #11
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

The El Camino is definetly cool. Check out 99+ Mustang GTs and 98+ Camaro Z28s/Trans Ams, and 98/99 DSM-AWDs as well.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:32 PM   #12
M_Smith12
CF Newbie

I definitly like the fact that its kinda like a truck/car but aren't those hard to find? What do you guys think should be my next pick just in case i don't find one around my area?
Old 10-04-2006, 11:13 PM   #13
Satty101
CF's L body Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Smith12
I definitly like the fact that its kinda like a truck/car but aren't those hard to find? What do you guys think should be my next pick just in case i don't find one around my area?

Not as hard to find as you might think. There's a lot of El Caminos/Rancheros around my area. In the summer there's atleast 5 for sale. Last summer/late spring there was a VERY nice numbers matching 70 El Camino SS which had a hopped up 454 with a Muncie 4-speed manual. Nice new gold paint with the black racing stripes on a new cowl induction hood. Insanely clean, frame off restoration and almost everything was new. Beautiful car but they wanted 22,xxx for it. However, sticking more to your price range, there's a decent Ford Ranchero, I beleive it's a late 60's early 70's. Deep red, with matching wheels. Not sure on the engine though. They want 6,999 for it and it's at a dealer that offers 5-year 50,000 mile warrenties. They're around. just gotta know where to look.

As far as your original question on what we think you should get. There's really no way to answer that question since we don't know you as a person. Based on my opinion however, trucks are a lot of fun with mud, loose gravel parking lots (doughnuts anyone??? ) and general hauling/towing. I've had my Isuzu for about 2-3 months now (it's an S-10 with a different front end FYI), and I've been mudding somewhere in the neighborhood of 8 times (2wd too. Only got stuck once), lost count on the amount of stupid yet fun things I've done in gravel parking lots, towed a lifted 85 Toyota 4WD flatbed truck with a 1500lbs trailer and have yet to have any problems with it minus a dent in my bed (long story) and being on my 4th air filter (mud gets in there quite easily...). It's just the 2.2L Chevy engine with the 5-speed manual tranny and I still get 350-400 miles on a 17 gallon tank depending how I hard I drive on it. I've owned 6 cars, and 2 trucks. I like the trucks a lot, but I like speed too. So now I'm getting my 7th car (9th vehicle) and keeping my truck so I can drive either or depending on my mood or needs.

1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS (PC'd)
1994 Chevrolet Beretta Z26 Q4 (W41 M90'd)
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 (4WD)

My wife's cars:

1971 Dodge Charger SE (stock and original 383 auto)
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX (kid-hauler)
Satty101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 11:40 PM   #14
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Maybe some of these are in your area..:

http://elcaminocentral.com/forum-19.html

Also, I personally like the 'Choo Choo' front end conversion you can do on the late 70's/80's version (although it is alittle expensive).. http://www.dixiemontecarlodepot.com/items/DM10117.html

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"

Last edited by car_crazy89 : 10-04-2006 at 11:42 PM.
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote