Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2006, 05:28 AM   #1
oplease19
CF Newbie

What Happened to Pop-Up Headlights?

I was looking at a picture of the new Supra in Road and Track, and said to myself, 'The front looks ugly.' But then, virtually all cars' fronts look ugly now. I don't think any cars have pop-up headlights anymore. There's no way that that is a design decision - some designers would choose pop-up headlights just because it is different. So it must be a government regulation. What is it, and can we change it? These endlessly ugly fronts bug me.
oplease19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 05:35 AM   #2
chris_knows
๑۩۞

I like pop-up headlights too (At least on some cars)...Here's what I found, the RX-7 (Ceased production in 2002) had them, same as the Firebird (Also 2002), the C5 (2004), the NSX (2002), Esprit (2004)...Here's why:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
]it has fallen out of favour, owing in large part to the added cost, weight, and complexity, and reliability problems with the mechanisms in older cars. Internationalized ECE auto safety regulations have also recently incorporated pedestrian-protection provisions restricting protuberances from car bodies, making it more difficult and expensive to design compliant pop-up headlamps.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hidden_headlights
Old 10-07-2006, 05:44 AM   #3
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

There's a reason why most cars no longer have them.

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 06:46 AM   #4
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
I like pop-up headlights too (At least on some cars)...Here's what I found, the RX-7 (Ceased production in 2002) had them, same as the Firebird (Also 2002), the C5 (2004), the NSX (2002), Esprit (2004)...]
Don't forget late 80s Accords, C4 and C5 Corvettes, and 1st gen Miatas.

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 06:49 AM   #5
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimario
Don't forget late 80s Accords, C4 and C5 Corvettes, and 1st gen Miatas.
There was a list on Wikipedia but I was just naming the latest cars I found in that list lol...Miatas had pop-up headlights? I just realized that lol.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:30 AM   #6
oplease19
CF Newbie

I might as well tell a funny pop-up headlight story. I used to have a 1988 Celica GT-S. I still lived at home. I would park my car as close as possible to the bay window, and my father would complain and say it was too close, I might hit the house. Once I got in the car at night and turned on the headlights. The pop-ups hit the bottom of the bay window before going all the way up. Shoot! I turned the lights off hoping I didn't damage anything. But the lights wouldn't go down without going all the way up. Double shoot! So I got out to push down on the front of the car to make room for the lights to go all the way up. But I'm light and couldn't get it to go down enough. So I went inside to ask my father to do it, wondering if he would be madder about the window or about the implication that he was fat. It was one of those, "Dad, don't be mad, but..." moments.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:37 AM   #7
oplease19
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
I like pop-up headlights too (At least on some cars)...Here's what I found, the RX-7 (Ceased production in 2002) had them, same as the Firebird (Also 2002), the C5 (2004), the NSX (2002), Esprit (2004)...Here's why:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hidden_headlights
Cool. I think some manufacturers would decide their car could handle the extra weight/cost. After all, they probably always added weight and cost, but some cars always still had them. Now, none. I think the ECE regulation mentioned was probably the death blow. I'd love to see the return of pop-up headlights to some cars. The Vette's looked much better with them, and the mechanism was cool - they didn't just go up through an approx. 90 degree arc. They spun around the other way through about a 200 degree arc.
Old 10-07-2006, 01:32 PM   #8
Cliffy
CF Loafer

I think pop-up headlights are too out dated these days, I think cars look better without them! Also, if a headlight bulb blew in first generation MX-5's, you had to change the whole unit if memory serves me!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 02:49 PM   #9
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by oplease19
I might as well tell a funny pop-up headlight story. I used to have a 1988 Celica GT-S. I still lived at home. I would park my car as close as possible to the bay window, and my father would complain and say it was too close, I might hit the house. Once I got in the car at night and turned on the headlights. The pop-ups hit the bottom of the bay window before going all the way up. Shoot! I turned the lights off hoping I didn't damage anything. But the lights wouldn't go down without going all the way up. Double shoot! So I got out to push down on the front of the car to make room for the lights to go all the way up. But I'm light and couldn't get it to go down enough. So I went inside to ask my father to do it, wondering if he would be madder about the window or about the implication that he was fat. It was one of those, "Dad, don't be mad, but..." moments.

Heres an idea - back the car up.
Old 10-07-2006, 03:53 PM   #10
Inygknok
El del Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by oplease19
I was looking at a picture of the new Supra in Road and Track, and said to myself, 'The front looks ugly.' But then, virtually all cars' fronts look ugly now. I don't think any cars have pop-up headlights anymore. There's no way that that is a design decision - some designers would choose pop-up headlights just because it is different. So it must be a government regulation. What is it, and can we change it? These endlessly ugly fronts bug me.
I changed mine for flush headlights

Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 04:32 PM   #11
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
I think pop-up headlights are too out dated these days, I think cars look better without them! Also, if a headlight bulb blew in first generation MX-5's, you had to change the whole unit if memory serves me!
A lot of cars look better without pop-up headlights, but then there's just a few that look better and stand out with them.
Old 10-07-2006, 04:59 PM   #12
oplease19
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacFan27
Wow, what incredible, outside the box thinking! I should have thought of that!
It was wedged under the bay window, which also had a piece that was on the outer edge, between where the headlights were jammed and the rest of the car, that was lower than the base of the window. Backing up would/could have damaged the window. That was sorta the point...
Old 10-07-2006, 08:20 PM   #13
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacFan27

Yea that was a pretty stupid comment.

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 08:46 PM   #14
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

To me cars with pop up headlights kind of all look the same, at least when the lights are off. Headlights give the car a distinct look, If you can't see them, then everything looks kind of like a C4 Corvette, at least to me.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 12:01 AM   #15
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

i like mine....

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote