FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2006, 12:14 AM   #16
elchango36
WWJCD

I prefer a proper manual transmission.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:20 AM   #17
Wally
I Know More Than You

I have the 6L80E gearbag in my new car and haven't been tempted once to use the manual function.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:22 PM   #18
jcutsh
CF Enthusiast

I always keep a vehicle around with an automatic transmission, just in case I break my left leg.
My daily driver is a stick. I feel in control with a stick and clutch.

However, IMHO, I think the real issue boils down to:

A. Lazy or slow learners = automatic
B. Industrious or adventurous = manual

Robert Benchley (1889-1945) noted, "no matter how well-intended, any reply to a dumba$$ question will inevitably appear smarta$$ed"
jcutsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 06:02 PM   #19
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcutsh
I always keep a vehicle around with an automatic transmission, just in case I break my left leg.

Wow, insulting AND ignorant in one post. And after the beautifully written post on the miata that's a sticky, too.

So what's this, jcutch?

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/adesso/rex1.wmv

How about this 455 powered car?

F*ck you calling people who LIKE good automatics "lazy or slow learners." YOU are the REASON I getso pissed about little kids that think they know ANYTHING about transmissions.

Not a one of you have the f*cking ability to learn anything. And I'm not talking about preference here. *I* perfer a good manual transmission. I'm not talking about opinion, merely the lack of facts and lack of experience that lets you hold tightly to opinions htat have no merit or basis in fact. It's about using re-TARDED logic and insults like you do. More control? Not even CLOSE in 99.999999% of driving. More fun? Not in 99.999999% of driving. You think a manual trans Yugo is more fun that that automatic equipped RX7 V8 or that 455 Pontiac? Get a clue. What's fun in a car revolves VERY little around a transmission. Maybe if the REST of the car is a boring POS to start with, a manual MIGHT make it more interesting, but in general? Not a chance.

F*ck. I almost let this slide until this ignorant insulting crap was posted.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 07:27 PM   #20
jcutsh
CF Enthusiast

Wow ChrisV,
Where did that come from? Nowhere in my post did I say that manuals were better than automatics. I believe the post was about people.

I am not a kid. I have been driving 51 years and in that time I have taught hundreds of people how to drive.

I know people who have been driving for 25 years, who canít drive around the block in a standard shift. And they donít want too. I know people who never were able to learn how to drive a manual. Too many people just want to drive around in an easy chair that does all the work for them.

That has nothing to do with whether a standard is better then an automatic! That is for another thread.

The post wasnít about cars. It was about attitudes of the types of people I have had experience with.

I made blanket statements. Perhaps you should have let this slide.

Robert Benchley (1889-1945) noted, "no matter how well-intended, any reply to a dumba$$ question will inevitably appear smarta$$ed"
Old 10-10-2006, 08:10 PM   #21
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
This has been discussed on numerous occasions, usually with somebody saying "I like manual transmission because it gives me more control...." and then ChrisV will say "you ignorant moron, teh auto is just as good for control....look at my RX-7". Or atleast that's what usually happens anyway, lol.
<<< Nuff said

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 08:21 PM   #22
jcutsh
CF Enthusiast

Cliffy,
Thanks for the lesson in the proper use of a nail gun. LOL

Old 10-10-2006, 08:27 PM   #23
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

I enjoy driving a manual more, it IS more fun for me, and I do feel like I have more control.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:34 PM   #24
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacFan27
I enjoy driving a manual more, it IS more fun for me, and I do feel like I have more control.

So, when yore' driving on I84 from Alentown to Harrisburg, how does having a clutch pedal make you "enjoy" it more, and how EXACTLY do you have more control?

PROVE it. Since you make the assertion, you get to PROVE how much more "control" you actually have, when 99% of the time on the road you aren't even MOVING the shifter, but you ARE using the steering wheel and throttle pedal.

AND if you've been driving more than 2 weeks, MOST of your shifting is unnoticed. You don't go "look at me, I SHIFTED" each time you move that lever, right? So PROVE to me that someething you don't even NOTICE adds to your control over what *I* had in that goddamn RX7! PROVE IT, MF! Then come down one state, ride with me in my 5 speed manual Fiat and PROVE that shifting adds more control or fun to my commute over something like the cars I picutered. Again, YOU make the assertion, YOU PROVE IT.

You don't even KNOW what having "control" over your car means.

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 10-10-2006, 08:36 PM   #25
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
So, when yore' driving on I84 from Alentown to Harrisburg, how does having a clutch pedal make you "enjoy" it more, and how EXACTLY do you have more control?

PROVE it. Since you make the assertion, you get to PROVE how much more "control" you actually have, when 99% of the time on the road you aren't even MOVING the shifter, but you ARE using the steering wheel and throttle pedal.

AND if you've been driving more than 2 weeks, MOST of your shifting is unnoticed. You don't go "look at me, I SHIFTED" each time you move that lever, right? So PROVE to me that someething you don't even NOTICE adds to your control over what *I* had in that goddamn RX7! PROVE IT, MF! Then come down one state, ride with me in my 5 speed manual Fiat and PROVE that shifting adds more control or fun to my commute over something like the cars I picutered. Again, YOU make the assertion, YOU PROVE IT.

You don't even KNOW what having "control" over your car means.
I think he probably said what he did......because he knew what you'd say. Honestly, you're soooo predictable, lol.

Oh, and John, no probs......as long as you got the hang of it now, lol

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Old 10-10-2006, 08:36 PM   #26
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Wow ChrisV,
Where did that come from? Nowhere in my post did I say that manuals were better than automatics. I believe the post was about people.

Quote:

And thus, since I like those automatics, SPECIFICALLY built those cars, your assertion of automatics are for "lazy and slow learners" is a DIRECT INSULT to ME. F*cker. Get that through your pea brain.

You've NEVER driven a car like those. You don't know HALF of what automatic cars are about.

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 10-10-2006, 08:41 PM   #27
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
I think he probably said what he did......because he knew I'm <Text Removed>. Honestly, I'm soooo predictable, lol

Maybe you might want to get a clue, Cliffster. Start promoting actual kmnowledge instead of letting unfounded opinion pass for knowledge. Oh, that's right, you little f*cks know everyting already and think that actually striving to be more knowledgeable and learn something is a waste of f*cking time. Apparently that IS true. For you, it's a waste of time because your two brain cells are overloaded as is.

I was leaving it alone until the direct goddamn insult.

Yeah, I'm predictable. I want people to actually THINK, and if they are going to make an assertion of fact, then they need to back it up. I don't CARE if an opinion is different as long as the assertion is well backed up. But why bother, that woud require thought, which you and yours are incapable of.

www.midatlantic7s.com

Last edited by Cliffy : 10-10-2006 at 08:51 PM.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:50 PM   #28
Monsta
Banned

In cars, I prefer manuals because I like the mechanical feel and having full control of my shift points. I like the added difficulty of a manual. I like my car rolling back. I like the ability to produce controlled wheelspin while in motion. I like the generally smaller price of manual cars. I like not having to pay $40,000+ for an automatic car that I like that can mimic the control offered by my manual. I like engine braking. I like spinning my wheels through a corner with clutch and throttle play. I like being able to buy an older car with a manual and not having to worry much about the fun of it being ruined by the transmission. Most older automatics really suck. I like the increased performance a stock car has with a stick. I like the instant acceleration or gear selection I get everytime with a manual unless it's my f*ck up or a mechanical problem. I like the idea of one day teaching my son about girls, football...and driving a stick.

"Ya see, it's just like running the football or banging a girl...find the hole (in traffic), grab your stick/ball and ease into it, accelerate until you find your running gear...now bring it home."

But the number one reason I prefer manual cars is because I like manual cars. Anything I like must be awesome.

Last edited by Monsta : 10-10-2006 at 08:52 PM.
Monsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 08:53 PM   #29
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
Maybe you might want to get a clue, Cliffster. Start promoting actual kmnowledge instead of letting unfounded opinion pass for knowledge. Oh, that's right, you little f*cks know everyting already and think that actually striving to be more knowledgeable and learn something is a waste of f*cking time. Apparently that IS true. For you, it's a waste of time because your two brain cells are overloaded as is.

I was leaving it alone until the direct goddamn insult.

Yeah, I'm predictable. I want people to actually THINK, and if they are going to make an assertion of fact, then they need to back it up. I don't CARE if an opinion is different as long as the assertion is well backed up. But why bother, that woud require thought, which you and yours are incapable of.
I'm not even gonna waste much time on you.....As I said. You're just predictable. My previous post was an attempt to bring some humour into this thread, but you clearly lack said sense of humour.

Old 10-10-2006, 10:46 PM   #30
Wally
I Know More Than You

Quote:

I resemble that remark!