Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2006, 10:49 PM   #31
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsta
In cars, I prefer manuals because I like the mechanical feel and having full control of my shift points. I like the added difficulty of a manual. I like my car rolling back. I like the ability to produce controlled wheelspin while in motion. I like the generally smaller price of manual cars. I like not having to pay $40,000+ for an automatic car that I like that can mimic the control offered by my manual. I like engine braking. I like spinning my wheels through a corner with clutch and throttle play. I like being able to buy an older car with a manual and not having to worry much about the fun of it being ruined by the transmission. Most older automatics really suck. I like the increased performance a stock car has with a stick. I like the instant acceleration or gear selection I get everytime with a manual unless it's my f*ck up or a mechanical problem. I like the idea of one day teaching my son about girls, football...and driving a stick.

"Ya see, it's just like running the football or banging a girl...find the hole (in traffic), grab your stick/ball and ease into it, accelerate until you find your running gear...now bring it home."

But the number one reason I prefer manual cars is because I like manual cars. Anything I like must be awesome.
wow is this guy for real? lmao sounds like a drunk monkey to me
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 11:23 PM   #32
jcutsh
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
I resemble that remark!
+
Hi Wally,
I am sure that you donít when you want to.

Congrats on the new car. Now go run that bag thru itís paces and report back here. Lol

Robert Benchley (1889-1945) noted, "no matter how well-intended, any reply to a dumba$$ question will inevitably appear smarta$$ed"
jcutsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 11:39 PM   #33
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
wow is this guy for real? lmao sounds like a drunk monkey to me

What does a drunk monkey sound like?
Old 10-10-2006, 11:47 PM   #34
Wally
I Know More Than You

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcutsh
+
Hi Wally,
I am sure that you donít when you want to.

Congrats on the new car. Now go run that bag thru itís paces and report back here. Lol

Hi John. Well I have other means to get my jollies with a manual car, but I did let the car open up a tad the other day.... around the 125 mph mark through some twisties and it behaved quite nicely.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:49 PM   #35
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
Hi John. Well I have other means to get my jollies with a manual car, but I did let the car open up a tad the other day.... around the 125 mph mark through some twisties and it behaved quite nicely.
I was reading this article about the Porsche Cayman S (I think) being driven through Australia, and is it true that there really is no speed limit on your highways?
Old 10-11-2006, 12:07 AM   #36
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
So, when yore' driving on I84 from Alentown to Harrisburg, how does having a clutch pedal make you "enjoy" it more, and how EXACTLY do you have more control?

PROVE it. Since you make the assertion, you get to PROVE how much more "control" you actually have, when 99% of the time on the road you aren't even MOVING the shifter, but you ARE using the steering wheel and throttle pedal.

AND if you've been driving more than 2 weeks, MOST of your shifting is unnoticed. You don't go "look at me, I SHIFTED" each time you move that lever, right? So PROVE to me that someething you don't even NOTICE adds to your control over what *I* had in that goddamn RX7! PROVE IT, MF! Then come down one state, ride with me in my 5 speed manual Fiat and PROVE that shifting adds more control or fun to my commute over something like the cars I picutered. Again, YOU make the assertion, YOU PROVE IT.

You don't even KNOW what having "control" over your car means.

It's no different to you so everyone must feel the same way? I repeat, I feel like I have more control because I can shift when I please. I can downshift one gear, I can downshift two, hell I can go from 4th to 1st at any time if it pleases me, I can drive slow and shift at redline if I want, or I can floor it and shift at 3000 if I feel like it, and I enjoy having that sense of control. Regardless of how it feels to you, it feels to me like I have more control. That sense of control makes it fun for me. Having more to do while I drive with my hands and feet is more fun to me. Why do you give a shit that I feel a manual is more fun than an automatic? I've driven both and I know what I enjoy more. Thats the only explanation you deserve.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:30 AM   #37
Wally
I Know More Than You

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
I was reading this article about the Porsche Cayman S (I think) being driven through Australia, and is it true that there really is no speed limit on your highways?

That would be the Northern Territory. In most states it's 110 kph.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:47 AM   #38
Bronxie
Dont know crap about cars

Quote:
So, when yore' driving on I84 from Alentown to Harrisburg, how does having a clutch pedal make you "enjoy" it more, and how EXACTLY do you have more control?

PROVE it. Since you make the assertion, you get to PROVE how much more "control" you actually have, when 99% of the time on the road you aren't even MOVING the shifter, but you ARE using the steering wheel and throttle pedal.

AND if you've been driving more than 2 weeks, MOST of your shifting is unnoticed. You don't go "look at me, I SHIFTED" each time you move that blever, right? So PROVE to me that someething you don't even NOTICE adds to your control over what *I* had in that goddamn RX7! PROVE IT, MF! Then come down one state, ride with me in my 5 speed manual Fiat and PROVE that shifting adds more control or fun to my commute over something like the cars I picutered. Again, YOU make the assertion, YOU PROVE IT.

You don't even KNOW what having "control" over your car means.

Wow, relax man

First of all, most people are not driving on the highways for miles and miles, and if you live where I live, driving on the highways involves weaving through traffic at relatively low speeds. There's a REASON why road tests for licensing are taken on regular city roads, because DRIVING IN A STRAIGHT LINE at a constant speed is very simple and does not have many dynamics to it. Learning to drive in accordance to law is about the dynamics of the road and some people enjoy a manual more for that. You're using a particular circumstance to say that automatic and manual are the same, and that doesn't quite tell the whole story.

Ok, secondly. Of course you have MORE control in a MANUAL transmission. Keyword: MANUAL, as in MANUALLY operated, as opposed to an automatic which is, AUTOMATICALLY operated. You are controlling when you shift and at what rpms. I can't believe you'd even MAKE that argument. The closest thing I have to that kind of control in an automatic is auto-manual in my BMW, but even that will upshift and downshift for you if necessary, and there's a slight delay in shifting and engaging that gear. You don't notice that you're shifting when you're driving normally unless you want to drive differently. This is when having MORE CONTROL comes into play. Automatics do adapt to a driving style, but are still very limited because you still don't decide when to shift, even if the vehicle is shifting at the time you should shift, you still are not doing it. That's why you have more control in a manual. It's kind of simple.

You're identifying things that are consistent through all cars. Utilizing the throttle and the wheel. OK, thanks. We know that. So what's the difference between the two transmissions? I don't need to repeat that.

I have seen a common trend with you. You don't allow people to have personal opinions. You want them to hold your opinions for some odd reason. This is no different. Someone likes manual operation more because they find it enjoyable, and you cynicize them for it.

You preach against ignorance and promote open-mindedness, but you're contradicting your overlying purpose by judging people for having a preference :\

Driving a lotus is more thrilling than sex.
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 01:51 AM   #39
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxie
Wow, relax man

First of all, most people are not driving on the highways for miles and miles, and if you live where I live, driving on the highways involves weaving through traffic at relatively low speeds. There's a REASON why road tests for licensing are taken on regular city roads, because DRIVING IN A STRAIGHT LINE at a constant speed is very simple and does not have many dynamics to it. Learning to drive in accordance to law is about the dynamics of the road and some people enjoy a manual more for that. You're using a particular circumstance to say that automatic and manual are the same, and that doesn't quite tell the whole story.

Ok, secondly. Of course you have MORE control in a MANUAL transmission. Keyword: MANUAL, as in MANUALLY operated, as opposed to an automatic which is, AUTOMATICALLY operated. You are controlling when you shift and at what rpms. I can't believe you'd even MAKE that argument. The closest thing I have to that kind of control in an automatic is auto-manual in my BMW, but even that will upshift and downshift for you if necessary, and there's a slight delay in shifting and engaging that gear. You don't notice that you're shifting when you're driving normally unless you want to drive differently. This is when having MORE CONTROL comes into play. Automatics do adapt to a driving style, but are still very limited because you still don't decide when to shift, even if the vehicle is shifting at the time you should shift, you still are not doing it. That's why you have more control in a manual. It's kind of simple.

You're identifying things that are consistent through all cars. Utilizing the throttle and the wheel. OK, thanks. We know that. So what's the difference between the two transmissions? I don't need to repeat that.

I have seen a common trend with you. You don't allow people to have personal opinions. You want them to hold your opinions for some odd reason. This is no different. Someone likes manual operation more because they find it enjoyable, and you cynicize them for it.

You preach against ignorance and promote open-mindedness, but you're contradicting your overlying purpose by judging people for having a preference :\

Agreed.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:39 AM   #40
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew
What does a drunk monkey sound like?
It wasnt direct, but simply a reference. Lets see...his sexual reference to the stick shift, ego, and repetitive use of the phrase "i like"
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 03:13 AM   #41
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Let me repeat myself, since it's not getting through, then go back and read my posts again:

I prefer a good manual. My daily driver is a manual. Every car I've bought new had been a manual, even when I've had the choice not to.

Now read my responses again.

I'm not keeping people from having opinions. I"m asking them to f*cking THINK before stating them as assertions. I'm asking them to PROVE their assertions if they are making them that way. Apparently that's a thing some of you can't handle doing, and think it's hypocritical of me to ask of you.

Fine, opinions are king, f*ck all the knowledge and thought that you base them on. Have a nice day.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 03:13 AM   #42
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew
Agreed.

x2 and what PontiacFan posted, I would've said something like that.

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 03:49 AM   #43
Bronxie
Dont know crap about cars

Quote:
Let me repeat myself, since it's not getting through, then go back and read my posts again:

I prefer a good manual. My daily driver is a manual. Every car I've bought new had been a manual, even when I've had the choice not to.

Now read my responses again.

I'm not keeping people from having opinions. I"m asking them to f*cking THINK before stating them as assertions. I'm asking them to PROVE their assertions if they are making them that way. Apparently that's a thing some of you can't handle doing, and think it's hypocritical of me to ask of you.

Fine, opinions are king, f*ck all the knowledge and thought that you base them on. Have a nice day.

Well, what facts are there that would oppose our opinions? Maybe if you explained more instead of just being angry I could better entertain your purposes :\

Driving a lotus is more thrilling than sex.
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 03:52 AM   #44
Monsta
Banned

ChrisV wants manual supporters on the forum to prove they like manuals. You manual supporters should stop stating that you like manuals as fact. It may not be fact.

ChrisV why do you prefer manual vehicles?
Monsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 03:52 AM   #45
thefonz
CF Addict

A teacher can only be as good as his student allows him to be.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote