FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2006, 12:34 AM   #16
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Haha I love the name D-Boii, personally I'd go for the TC
Old 10-10-2006, 12:47 AM   #17
DoughboyVT
CF Newbie

naa, im not big on moding... i just plan on basically takin what i get from the dealer.... and i plan on getting the 3s at a little over 18k... and i also built the tC at scion.com and with the options i would probably want, it comes out to about the same, maybe a little more even.
DoughboyVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 01:51 PM   #18
Bronxie
Dont know crap about cars

I think the mazda looks a little girly, but if you were going for the mazda3 s, I'd go for that over the tc. If you're just getting the regular mazda, I'd pick the tc.

Oh yeah, and you shouldn't make decisions with your feelings, like for example, "I didn't like the first two scions that came out", as it obviously has no relevance to this decision lol

Driving a lotus is more thrilling than sex.
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 02:15 PM   #19
jaydez
CF Newbie

what made the decision for me was looking at the kind of people I saw driving both cars.

The Madza was mostly driven by young people who are out of school and commuting to work. The tC was mostly driven by teenage girls.

When I told my friend I was looking at the tC he told me I would never live it down if I bought it becasue he, and everyone we hang out with, sees it as a chick car.

I still vote for the Mazda3
jaydez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 02:27 PM   #20
Bronxie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydez
what made the decision for me was looking at the kind of people I saw driving both cars.

The Madza was mostly driven by young people who are out of school and commuting to work. The tC was mostly driven by teenage girls.

When I told my friend I was looking at the tC he told me I would never live it down if I bought it becasue he, and everyone we hang out with, sees it as a chick car.

I still vote for the Mazda3

Dude the mazda is such a bitch car, just look at it!!!!

Old 10-10-2006, 02:48 PM   #21
jaydez
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxie
Dude the mazda is such a bitch car, just look at it!!!!

true... so it the tC... then again the same can be said for just about any compact.
jaydez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 04:19 PM   #22
elchango36
WWJCD

Mazda 3 hatchback
Old 10-10-2006, 08:55 PM   #23
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by oplease19
I didn't say it was for everyone. I didn't say he HAD to get a Supra. I didn't say he was an idiot if he didn't get one. I offered an alternative that he might not have thought of, and laid out the reasons why I think it's a better choice.
As for performance, everyone considers performance, though everyone may put it in a different place on their priority list. Both the cars he mentioned are sporty cars, so I'm just nudging him towards an actual sports car that has the advantage of being rare. And, yes, a non-turbo Supra has a big performane edge over the cars mentioned. It's 0-60 time is nearly 2 seconds faster, which is an easily felt difference when driving. And it's handling is muxh better than these front-drivers. As for cost, the most likely scenario is that over 6 years he may spend $1200 more on repairs - it's a Toyota, it's probably not going to have a major problem. It'll just need brakes, timing belt, hoses, and one or 2 extraordinary things like a power steering pump or alternator. That $1200 would be more than offset by the retained value.
Alright, maybe I was a little harsh, but I still stand by what I said. Where did you get the impression that a Supra would be a good car for him? Are you just recommending it to anyone looking at cars, no matter what their criteria is? He's looking at new, practical, FWD cars, and you recommend just the opposite. I'm all for giving people options, but if you're not basing your options on what he said, well, we might as well just throw out random makes and models.

Also, I don't care if it's a Toyota, a ~10 y/o car is going to have more than $1200 in repair bills over 6 years. He doesn't seem to be the type of person who's got the desire/ability to work on his own car. Plus with a Supra it's more likely to be stolen, more likely to get tickets, way worse in bad weather, and I'm betting that insurance and gas will cost more. All this hassle or a person that obviosly doesn't want a performance car anyways.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 08:56 PM   #24
Bronxie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydez
true... so it the tC... then again the same can be said for just about any compact.

Yeah the tc is too lol. I guess there's no way around it.

Old 10-11-2006, 02:22 AM   #25
Monsta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oplease19
For the price of one of these cars you could get a low-mileage MKIV Toyota Supra. You'd have a car that looks much better; that performs much better; that very few people have and so stands out; and whose very low production #s, combined with it's popularity due to movies and video games and it's engine that can handle WAY more horsepower than stock, means it will depreciate very little. In six years either of the cars you mentioned will have lost 60 to 80% of their value. The Supra will probably lose from zero to 20%.
Dropping $18,000+ on a car with no warranty is...

Unless this guy makes a decent amount of money and has a backup car, he shouldn't do it. $1200 repair costs? Ha ha! An a/c compressor alone would bust that budget. Oh, and it will need an a/c compressor...and a clutch...and a window motor...etc. And when he's getting the Supra fixed, what would he drive around in? No rental provided for him. What if something major went wrong? Like a blown gasket or a cracked block? With no warranty? Straight cash homey...out his pocket. Are Supra parts cheap?

Low mileage Supra for $18,000? What's low mileage to you? Regardless, any Supra under 75,000 miles STARTS at $31,000. They average $40,000. And...AND...chances are if you find a Supra you're gonna have to fly across the country to get that bitch.

Don't buy a 10 year old used car for the price of a nice new one unless you're well braced for the niggles it presents when compared to the new car you could've had. You're support group will love you more for it.
Monsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 03:32 AM   #26
DoughboyVT
CF Newbie

alright, let me clarify some more...

u guys have gotten most of it right... im not one to work on my own car, im not a big car buff... im simply about to get my first new car after driving a 91 buick park ave for 6 years that i got from my ****in grandmother.

basically i want a more or less new car, its gotta hopefully be under 20k, i want it to have good gas milage, decent power, good safety, decent comfort, decent practicality (ie, can move shit if i need to), and looks decent/sporty-ish.

so with that i had more or less narrowed it to the tC and 3... i also looked at the new pontiac G5.

so with all that in mind, im open to any other suggestions u guys might have...
Old 10-11-2006, 04:12 AM   #27
Bronxie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoughboyVT
alright, let me clarify some more...

u guys have gotten most of it right... im not one to work on my own car, im not a big car buff... im simply about to get my first new car after driving a 91 buick park ave for 6 years that i got from my ****in grandmother.

basically i want a more or less new car, its gotta hopefully be under 20k, i want it to have good gas milage, decent power, good safety, decent comfort, decent practicality (ie, can move shit if i need to), and looks decent/sporty-ish.

so with that i had more or less narrowed it to the tC and 3... i also looked at the new pontiac G5.

so with all that in mind, im open to any other suggestions u guys might have...
Subaru impreza? Comes with awd.

Old 10-11-2006, 04:29 AM   #28
DoughboyVT
CF Newbie

i can get a newer impreza for under 20k?
Old 10-11-2006, 05:03 AM   #29
oplease19
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsta
Dropping $18,000+ on a car with no warranty is...

Unless this guy makes a decent amount of money and has a backup car, he shouldn't do it. $1200 repair costs? Ha ha! An a/c compressor alone would bust that budget. Oh, and it will need an a/c compressor...and a clutch...and a window motor...etc. And when he's getting the Supra fixed, what would he drive around in? No rental provided for him. What if something major went wrong? Like a blown gasket or a cracked block? With no warranty? Straight cash homey...out his pocket. Are Supra parts cheap?

Low mileage Supra for $18,000? What's low mileage to you? Regardless, any Supra under 75,000 miles STARTS at $31,000. They average $40,000. And...AND...chances are if you find a Supra you're gonna have to fly across the country to get that bitch.

Don't buy a 10 year old used car for the price of a nice new one unless you're well braced for the niggles it presents when compared to the new car you could've had. You're support group will love you more for it.

Wow, you couldn't be more wrong about more things if you were Donald Rumsfeld. Having owned a 1988 Toyota Celica GT-S for 17 years that I bought brand new, I can tell you your repair fears are overstated. You must buy American cars or German cars. Buy well-made, reliable cars and you won't have such issues. NEVER needed any A/C work. NEVER needed any major work at all. Just brakes, batteries, tires, mufflers, timing belts, and an alternator the whole 18 years. And I didn't baby it, and I drove it aggressively. Now, you may read that and say, 'See, you should buy a brand new car...'. BUT what I took from it was that I should save my money and buy used - let someone else take the big depreciation hit, and then have the fearful attitude you have about repairs and sell, with me reaping the benefits of the repair fears being overstated (again, buying a Toyota or Honda, not some unreliable thing).
And your Supra prices are WAY off - I was talking about a low-mileage non-turbo, but the prices you are quoting are more than you could get a low-mileage turbo for. Just because some sellers are advertising absurd prices in hopes of finding a sucker doesn't mean those are the actual market prices. It's like those news reports that appear periodically saying 'tickets for this concert or that big game are going for $$$$$'. No, they aren't. Some fool may have overpaid on ebay, and some rip-off artist ticket agencies may be asking the absurd price, but there are plenty around for lower prices. Just look. As for your rental bit - yes, it is possible that a used car buyer may need to rent a car in the event of a repair. Enterprise, $19/day. It's not a big expense, and if it worries you so much just get rental coverage on your auto insurance.
For whatever performance level you want, I think you're better off buying a used car with that performance and saving the $10,000. The yearly interest alone that $10,000 will earn will probably be more than the yearly repairs on the car. Plus you will have also saved on sales tax, yearly insurance, and yearly excise tax. Or, if you're set on spending X amount of dollars on a car, you're better off getting the much higher quality used car those dollars will get, than the lower-quality new car. $15,000 will get you a Yaris or Scion xB, or a low-mileage Supra or Jaguar XK or Acura TL or whatever.

Last edited by oplease19 : 10-11-2006 at 05:36 AM.
oplease19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 05:24 AM   #30
oplease19
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoughboyVT
i can get a newer impreza for under 20k?

I just did a quick check at Edmunds.com . A 2004 should be around $14,000. You should use their site to figure out what you should pay for a used car.

http://www.edmunds.com/used/2004/sub...5/options.html
oplease19 is offline   Reply With Quote