Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2006, 10:31 PM   #1
UrbanAccel
CF Newbie

Larger rim sizes and lower profile tires unsafe?

Hi everyone, I'm in need of a change of tires and rims for my car, and I've heard that larger rims with lower profile tires are less safe than cars with larger tires and smaller rims. Is there any truth to this?

Thanks in advance
UrbanAccel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 12:54 AM   #2
True_Brit
Has a new job!

ive heard you have to adapt parts of the car if the rims are much bigger than average, same as lower profile tyre! thats all i can help with!

www.myspace.com/jhn123
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
........Greek warrior cant reply because hes probably beating it like it owes him money.
True_Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 01:06 AM   #3
jaydez
CF Newbie

if the wheels are too big (dubs or higher) and your car looks like a goofy rollerskate then your brakes probably arent strong enough to stop the rotating mass of the wheel efficently. Dubs are VERY heave and you performance and gas milage WILL suffer.

if you have a civif with 15 inch wheels on it and upgrade to 17s with rubber bandaids weapped around them you should be safe.

as the side wall gets smaller the ride will get alot rougher though.... and watch out for potholes, they will f*** up your new rims.
jaydez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 02:37 AM   #4
Bronxie
Dont know crap about cars

If you get too big, you could actually take away from performance.

Driving a lotus is more thrilling than sex.
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 03:23 AM   #5
salimander13
Teach me, I'm learning

doesn't bigger wheels mess with the odometer? also you lose distance in your turn radius, lose acceleration, you have to replace the tires more often, bumpy ride, going really slow up and down steep driveways and speed bumps...just to name a couple of things you want to look for
Old 10-13-2006, 01:48 PM   #6
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

If the overall diameter is much larger or smaller, then yes, your speedometer/odometer will be off.

If the overall mass of the wheel is increased a lot then yes, it can take more effort to accellerate or decellerate. BUT, aluminum is lighter than steel belted rubber, and so the tire often weighs more than the wheel itself. So a shorter sidewall can actually end up with LESS weight/mass at the outer end of the rotating mass, offsetting the slightly higher weight of the wheel (though, as was mentioned, going from a 14" or 15" to a 19" or 20+" wheel will be even more negative). There exists the possibility that a 17" wheel with a tall sidewall tire (like the stock setup on a big SUV) will weigh more, and have more mass farther from the hub than a 20-22" wheel with a thin sidewall performance tire.

A shorter sidewall WILL ride rougher, but will have ore precise response to steering input. Your turning radius MIGHT change if your tires can no longer turn the full amount, but for most cars that can handle large wheels, that's not an issue.

In fact, the performance issues shouldn't be an issue on street cars anyhow as you aren't using all your car's performance to start with. If you HAVE to use all your car's performance to keep up with traffic, then you have more problems than wheels.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote