Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-13-2006, 03:31 AM   #1
jimbolion
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 20
If you were in my position. What would you choose?

have you guys ever wondered ... where the **** did the vw golf go ?

Last edited by jimbolion : 07-27-2008 at 11:35 PM.
jimbolion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 03:45 AM   #2
Bronxie
Dont know crap about cars
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Westchester Co., NY
Posts: 1,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbolion
lets just say, you have a budget. a very tight budget.

lets also say that your a tuner enthusiast, but has a budget looking for a good tuner vehicle for about 20k.

now, lets say you researched most of the car companies out there and narrowed it down to ...

2006 rabbit - 14k (no tuner parts found online)
2006 gti - 21k (not much tuner parts found online)
2007 civic si 21k (over-rated, but has billions of tuner parts available)
2007 eclipse 19k (chick magnet)
2007 mazda3 hatch - 18k (0 - 60 in 5.2 seconds impressive for a hatch)
2006 rsx - 20k (201hp @ 7800 rpm)

yeah. what would you choose ?


have you guys ever wondered ... where the **** did the vw golf go ?

Wtf @ the mazda3 going 0-60 in 5.2 seconds. That's NOT accurate at all.

And I believe only the rsx S gets 201 hp. The regular one gets about 160.

Anyways I would definitely go for the civic si, since there is a huge market for tuner parts like you said, and it's the lightest of the bunch, delivering the most engine power as well. The rest don't even compare.
__________________


Driving a lotus is more thrilling than sex.
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 04:15 AM   #3
jimbolion
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 20
its just an estimate. or what i hear from others.


but yeah.
jimbolion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 04:33 AM   #4
newyorker
MXman
 
newyorker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,291
the 07 si is not overrated...200 ponies + light car=fun
__________________
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 04:37 AM   #5
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire
 
PontiacFan27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Grove City, PA
Posts: 1,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
the 07 si is not overrated...200 ponies + light car=fun

No torque = loooooong time to get to 200 hp. That 200 hp is at like 9k RPM, so most of the time you're thinking "is it gonna go anytime soon?", hence the 7 second 0-60s.

Go for the GTi. There aren't many parts out there because its new, give it time. That is if you like hatches. Personally I'd go for something RWD and torquey, like a 2000 Trans Am WS6 6 speed perhaps. Thats in the 20k range for a low (30k or so) mileage range in great condition.
__________________
PontiacFan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 06:35 AM   #6
elchango36
WWJCD
 
elchango36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Last year @ SIUC
Posts: 2,122
Are you only looking at brand spankin new cars?
__________________
elchango36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 11:13 AM   #7
True_Brit
Has a new job!
 
True_Brit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Falmouth, Backward County, UK
Posts: 2,432
WTF is a Rabbit???
__________________

www.myspace.com/jhn123
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
........Greek warrior cant reply because hes probably beating it like it owes him money.
True_Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 11:28 AM   #8
jimbolion
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 20
yeah because all the cars above are manual transmission because i feel less manly with an automatic transmission honda civic ex.

and if im gonna piss away money buying a 5 spd engine, i might as well buy a brand new car that fit my 20k budget.


a rabbit is that new 2.5 liter volkswagen hatchback.
jimbolion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 12:16 PM   #9
True_Brit
Has a new job!
 
True_Brit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Falmouth, Backward County, UK
Posts: 2,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbolion
yeah because all the cars above are manual transmission because i feel less manly with an automatic transmission honda civic ex.

and if im gonna piss away money buying a 5 spd engine, i might as well buy a brand new car that fit my 20k budget.


a rabbit is that new 2.5 liter volkswagen hatchback.
the only vw rabbit ive known is the other name gor a Golf!
hang on, im thinking fox!
i dont know of a rabbit!!!
__________________

www.myspace.com/jhn123
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
........Greek warrior cant reply because hes probably beating it like it owes him money.

Last edited by True_Brit : 10-13-2006 at 12:23 PM.
True_Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 01:59 PM   #10
ChrisV
The Big Meaney
 
ChrisV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: People's Republic of Maryland
Posts: 3,714
The US used to get the A1 Golf as the Rabbit from '74-83. VWoA is reintroducing the Rabbit name for the basic Golf: http://www.vw.com/rabbit/

And I'm going to have to echo elchango... if, as you say "lets just say, you have a budget. a very tight budget."

I would NEVER, EVER look at new cars on a tight budget. A $20k budget would build a killer used car, from an RX7 FC or even a decent FD to a REAL ITR, a fast VW Corrado, etc. Like these:





Once you go tuner, you void most warranties, and warranties are the ONLY reason to buy new.
__________________
I'm not mean. You're just a wuss.



www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 02:13 PM   #11
Bronxie
Dont know crap about cars
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Westchester Co., NY
Posts: 1,386
Chrisv, what is that red car? It looks great.

And maybe his idea of a tight budget is different? Shrug.
__________________


Driving a lotus is more thrilling than sex.
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 03:25 PM   #12
jaydez
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxie
Chrisv, what is that red car? It looks great.

And maybe his idea of a tight budget is different? Shrug.


read the front plate
jaydez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 03:36 PM   #13
ChrisV
The Big Meaney
 
ChrisV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: People's Republic of Maryland
Posts: 3,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxie
Chrisv, what is that red car? It looks great.

And maybe his idea of a tight budget is different? Shrug.

Remember, his EXACT words were:
" If you were in my position. What would you choose?
lets just say, you have a budget. a very tight budget."

The definition of tight, TIGHT budget is not much money. He says $20k, that's either not a tight budget, OR it's enough to build a killer older car. $2000 is enough to build a fast, V8 RX7 like mine now. His budget is TEN TIMES that of the Grassroots Motorsports Magazine $200x Challenge competitors... If they can build an 11 second quarter mile, 1 G handiling, V8 RX7 for $2000, think what the extra $18k woudl get...

The POINT Bronxie, is that if you want to be a tuner, but you have no money, is to stop looking at NEW cars. That's how to be INTELLIGENT and get the MOST out of your money. And it's MY answer for if *I* was in his position.

Buying new and then tuning it is throwing money away on a rapidly depreciating liability that wont' get you what you want becuae most of your money is tied up in the base vehicle. Either you forget what it's like to be on a low budget, or you simply don't have the brains God gave a rock yet when it comes to financial intelligence (due to having more money than you need at a very young age).
__________________
I'm not mean. You're just a wuss.



www.midatlantic7s.com

Last edited by ChrisV : 10-13-2006 at 03:43 PM.
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 03:38 PM   #14
ChrisV
The Big Meaney
 
ChrisV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: People's Republic of Maryland
Posts: 3,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydez
read the front plate

Yup. An FD RX7 (available from '93-97 here in the US. FD is the chassis code for the third generation of RX7). Widely regarded as one of the most beautiful cars to ever come out of Japan. Unfortunately saddled with a relatively powerful, but relatively unreliable twin turbo rotary engine.
__________________
I'm not mean. You're just a wuss.



www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 04:08 PM   #15
jaydez
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 40
If you are working with a limited budget, im assuming gas money is tight too. You have to take into account that all of them except the Rabbit and the Mazda3 take premium.

My vote is the Mazda... most useful of the bunch, decent aftermarket, and very reliable... not to mention fun as hell to drive.
jaydez is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.