Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2006, 04:14 PM   #16
Bronxie
Dont know crap about cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
Remember, his EXACT words were:
" If you were in my position. What would you choose?
lets just say, you have a budget. a very tight budget."

The definition of tight, TIGHT budget is not much money. He says $20k, that's either not a tight budget, OR it's enough to build a killer older car. $2000 is enough to build a fast, V8 RX7 like mine now. His budget is TEN TIMES that of the Grassroots Motorsports Magazine $200x Challenge competitors... If they can build an 11 second quarter mile, 1 G handiling, V8 RX7 for $2000, think what the extra $18k woudl get...

The POINT Bronxie, is that if you want to be a tuner, but you have no money, is to stop looking at NEW cars. That's how to be INTELLIGENT and get the MOST out of your money. And it's MY answer for if *I* was in his position.

Buying new and then tuning it is throwing money away on a rapidly depreciating liability that wont' get you what you want becuae most of your money is tied up in the base vehicle. Either you forget what it's like to be on a low budget, or you simply don't have the brains God gave a rock yet when it comes to financial intelligence (due to having more money than you need at a very young age).

Jeez, all I said was that maybe he has a different idea of what a tight budget is...lol

And not that you care, but I AM searching for older cars to buy and tune. I am currently on the hunt for a first generation miata, maybe a 96 model because it has the upgraded safety features and obd I think.

My dad bought my bmws, and he likes to buy them new. If he told me that I had 40k+ to spend and I can get any car I want for that price, you think I would have chosen my convertible? I would have gotten a used car, because even if I am not tuning it, a used car can be just as good as new, and because of the lowered price, I can get a better car. For example, I can buy a 2006 bmw 325cic for 44k, or I can buy a 2005 porsche boxster with maybe 30k miles on it for the same price.

I don't like the fact that you're being presumptuous about my situation, but those are the facts and that's the truth.

To be honest, though, I was a different car person when I got my first BMW, or as I like to describe it as, I had a different "car identity", and I had approved of the first bmw, and I also chose the second one, but at some point during the 8 weeks I was waiting for it to be built, I had like a revelation of some sort. I didn't want a heavy, slow, automatic sunday cruiser. Unfortunately my dad didn't buy it and came up with some lame excuse for not getting me a cheaper car, like a z4, or spending like 1-2k more and buying me a brand new porsche boxster. He's a very smart man, but he can be like me sometimes and be arrogant and prideful and not listen to people.

I would prefer a relatively newer car, maybe an 03 or an 04 depending on the type of car, and then an older, less expensive car to be my little toy.

But thanks for completely passing judgement on me about a situation you had next to no clue about.

Driving a lotus is more thrilling than sex.
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 04:18 PM   #17
elchango36
WWJCD

Quote:
Remember, his EXACT words were:
" If you were in my position. What would you choose?
lets just say, you have a budget. a very tight budget."

The definition of tight, TIGHT budget is not much money. He says $20k, that's either not a tight budget, OR it's enough to build a killer older car. $2000 is enough to build a fast, V8 RX7 like mine now. His budget is TEN TIMES that of the Grassroots Motorsports Magazine $200x Challenge competitors... If they can build an 11 second quarter mile, 1 G handiling, V8 RX7 for $2000, think what the extra $18k woudl get...

The POINT Bronxie, is that if you want to be a tuner, but you have no money, is to stop looking at NEW cars. That's how to be INTELLIGENT and get the MOST out of your money. And it's MY answer for if *I* was in his position.

Buying new and then tuning it is throwing money away on a rapidly depreciating liability that wont' get you what you want becuae most of your money is tied up in the base vehicle. Either you forget what it's like to be on a low budget, or you simply don't have the brains God gave a rock yet when it comes to financial intelligence (due to having more money than you need at a very young age).
Precisely!!! And I was about to sugget a 3rd gen RX7, MKII MR2, MkIV Supra, or an E36 M3. You could build one hellava car with that much money. Those cars are what I'd be looking at if I had $20k.
Old 10-14-2006, 12:11 AM   #18
jimbolion
CF Newbie

okay, maybe "in my position" needs to be explained a little more.

for the past couple of years, its been nothing but second hand cars. and im sick of it. 93 jetta, 99 explorer, 95 diamonte. yeah.

and when i say 20k, its how much i plan to spend total, not on tuner parts, but on a car.

your absolutely right, i should get a used car and tune it up. but its still the same shit. i buy a pretty good low milage car and find that i cant touch it until its paid off.

i literally have only 300 bucks. yeah. by the time id get 20k is the time we run out of oil in this planet.

the rabbit = golf? is gti a new model? cause i could have sworn the older rabbit was in the 90's or 80's. looked like ass monkey.
jimbolion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 12:14 AM   #19
jaydez
CF Newbie

rabbit = golf. GTI = High Perf Rabbit... like... ummm... a jackrabbit.
jaydez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 01:21 AM   #20
jimbolion
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydez
rabbit = golf. GTI = High Perf Rabbit... like... ummm... a jackrabbit.

does that mean .... rabbit + turbo = gti = bugs bunny?
Old 10-14-2006, 01:25 AM   #21
jaydez
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbolion
does that mean .... rabbit + turbo = gti = bugs bunny?

bugs bunny was never fast... he was just smarter than Elmer Fudd.

but yeah Rabbit + turbo = GTI
jaydez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 05:12 PM   #22
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbolion
okay, maybe "in my position" needs to be explained a little more.

for the past couple of years, its been nothing but second hand cars. and im sick of it. 93 jetta, 99 explorer, 95 diamonte. yeah.

and when i say 20k, its how much i plan to spend total, not on tuner parts, but on a car.

your absolutely right, i should get a used car and tune it up. but its still the same shit. i buy a pretty good low milage car and find that i cant touch it until its paid off.

i literally have only 300 bucks. yeah. by the time id get 20k is the time we run out of oil in this planet.

If you can only scrape together $300, you should just realize that you shoudl NOT go into debt on a new car that depreciates faster than you can pay for it. Seriously, don't be stupid with your money or your time.

Look at the car in my sig. It's more fun to be seen in and to drive than a new econobox wannabe tuner car. And I paid $100 for it and spent another $2500 fixing it up. The reason youre "sick" of "hand me down cars" is you have teh teenager mentality of instant gratification and if it's olde than last week it's too old to own/be seen in. YOu need to get over that and look at fun cars that you like and wil not suck you dry of money, though if you can only scrape together $300, you might have to set aside any plans for a while...

Quote:
the rabbit = golf? is gti a new model? cause i could have sworn the older rabbit was in the 90's or 80's. looked like ass monkey.

The Rabbit is the new Golf, as of this year (I linked to it). The US used to get the rabbit from '74-83, and I think they look good (of course, I'm biased as I've owned a couple and raced them).

They were designed by Guigiaro in italy in the early '70s (the same time he designed the first Lotus Esprit, as well as a number of other cars). Very crisp Italian styling for a German car.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 06:14 PM   #23
Bronxie

Quote:
If you can only scrape together $300, you should just realize that you shoudl NOT go into debt on a new car that depreciates faster than you can pay for it. Seriously, don't be stupid with your money or your time.

Look at the car in my sig. It's more fun to be seen in and to drive than a new econobox wannabe tuner car. And I paid $100 for it and spent another $2500 fixing it up. The reason youre "sick" of "hand me down cars" is you have teh teenager mentality of instant gratification and if it's olde than last week it's too old to own/be seen in. YOu need to get over that and look at fun cars that you like and wil not suck you dry of money, though if you can only scrape together $300, you might have to set aside any plans for a while...

The Rabbit is the new Golf, as of this year (I linked to it). The US used to get the rabbit from '74-83, and I think they look good (of course, I'm biased as I've owned a couple and raced them).

They were designed by Guigiaro in italy in the early '70s (the same time he designed the first Lotus Esprit, as well as a number of other cars). Very crisp Italian styling for a German car.

I think it's important for some to get a car that has styling that won't go out of style, like your rx-7 you showed. I don't think that will go out of style for a long time.

Old 10-15-2006, 01:46 AM   #24
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxie
I think it's important for some to get a car that has styling that won't go out of style, like your rx-7 you showed. I don't think that will go out of style for a long time.
Do you mean "wont go out of style for a long time"? or "It will still look fresh for a long time"? As the way I see it, the RX-7 will always be stylish, but it wont necessarily always look that fresh...

jim, so you're saying you want to finance a car rather than pay the $20,000 out right? That's what I'm seeing anyway!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48

Last edited by Cliffy : 10-15-2006 at 01:53 AM.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 02:11 AM   #25
Bronxie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Do you mean "wont go out of style for a long time"? or "It will still look fresh for a long time"? As the way I see it, the RX-7 will always be stylish, but it wont necessarily always look that fresh...

jim, so you're saying you want to finance a car rather than pay the $20,000 out right? That's what I'm seeing anyway!

Style of course. Freshness is dependent upon the owner more-so the car itself :P

Old 10-15-2006, 02:41 AM   #26
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxie

And not that you care, but I AM searching for older cars to buy and tune. I am currently on the hunt for a first generation miata, maybe a 96 model because it has the upgraded safety features and obd I think.

OBD-2 is evil, EVIL!!!! Don't bother with it.

Heres a cool Miata, very cool. Has the KLDE from the Probe GT/MX6/626 etc.

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread...7&page=1&pp=25

http://videos.streetfire.net/categor...46018290ef.htm

Theres also Miatas with LS1s around. Thats a tad more expensive, though...
Old 10-15-2006, 03:35 AM   #27
jimbolion
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy

i think he meant style ....

like ... i didnt know what a supra was until 2 years ago when i really got into cars. but now that i do, everytime i see one, my eyes become and my jaw compeltely drops. i thikn thats what he meant about wont go out of style for a long time.
Old 10-15-2006, 03:47 AM   #28
nighthawk
Part Time Active User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacFan27
OBD-2 is evil, EVIL!!!! Don't bother with it.

Heres a cool Miata, very cool. Has the KLDE from the Probe GT/MX6/626 etc.

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread...7&page=1&pp=25

http://videos.streetfire.net/categor...46018290ef.htm

Theres also Miatas with LS1s around. Thats a tad more expensive, though...

DAMN that miata sounds mean as hell

"There is a big difference between being fast and powerful and just being loud and annoying."
nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 04:22 AM   #29
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Yeah although I don't see why you wouldn't just swap a V8 in there rather than the V6, prolly a little more costly and time consuming, but much much more positives...

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 04:37 AM   #30
Bronxie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythias
Yeah although I don't see why you wouldn't just swap a V8 in there rather than the V6, prolly a little more costly and time consuming, but much much more positives...

There's actually miatas like that called monster miatas where they put v8s in them. Supposedly the engine bays of miatas are large and can fit a v8 because mazda originally intended to use a bigger engine.