Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2006, 11:20 PM   #16
Wally
I Know More Than You

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99integra
1993 Ford Ranger, 2.3 liter 4 cylinder, 5 spd.

I was wondering what I could do to free up some horsepower, I'm gonna be getting a chip that showed gains of 10-12 hp and then a K&N intake. What else is there that I can do that will maybe free up some weight and give me some more ponies? Has to be less than 500

What do you currently get? Is this a Mazda engine or US genre?

I don't know much about any 2.3 litre, but I would expect if it is jap pedigree you would be looking at 90kW in sedan form and maybe 80kW in pickup (designed for more power at lower revs = more torque potential). So I guess you rarely use the vehicle for it's intended purpose and want to get some tailgate action? Cheap mods rarely result in much gain, unless you are doing the labour yourself.

Chances are the cam is relatively short duration short overlap. If the engine is OHC with rockers, you might get a quick gain simply by changing the rocker ratio up a decimal point.

The TBs on most run of the mill cars will strangle air flow and you should look at replacing, however you may need to employ a SAFC type controller to maintain fueling and/or timing. The snorkel, plenum spigot and filter box intakes need to have a greater cross sectional area than the TB (measured at the choke/throttle plate).

The exhaust side changes rarely result in significant gains, although the increased noise certainly provides the perception that there has been. Young blokes will swear by this mod as they change their driving habits to gear change by growl. They will even produce a dyno chart to prove it. Maybe a set of port balancing extractors is the go here, but expect to rev a little harder. Of course the intermediate and tail pipes will need to be looked at too.

Beware the Ebay resistor that changes the intake air temp sensor reading. When the engine gives up the ghost from either bore wash or burnt exhaust valves, the seller won't be there for you to repair under warranty.

Last edited by Wally : 10-16-2006 at 11:22 PM.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 11:36 PM   #17
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchango36
Which one's? gimme years or a pic.
I love your car I want it like whoa soo uhh lemme know when you sell her

That style
Old 10-17-2006, 03:17 AM   #18
elchango36
WWJCD

Quote:
I love your car I want it like whoa soo uhh lemme know when you sell her

That style
Thanks!

I see you fancy the 6th gens. Not bad. Check your PM's in about 5 minutes.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:24 PM   #19
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythias
...Then don't waste your time, stop spending money on useless sh*t, and either save up money and sell this truck for something more modifiable, or start looking into an engine swap, because pulling 10hp out of that truck would be a waste of time and money.

1993 Ford Ranger, 2.3 liter 4 cylinder, 5 spd.

I was wondering what I could do to free up some horsepower, I'm gonna be getting a chip that showed gains of 10-12 hp and then a K&N intake. What else is there that I can do that will maybe free up some weight and give me some more ponies? Has to be less than 500

Wrong, a chip for your nearly stock truck will give you next to no power, I will put both my Mustangs on it, and this is something I thought you would've known by now, advertised usually means divide that by 5.. As for a K&N, just get the filter, the intake is just a waste of money. As for the weight, not a ton of weight to free up. Stop wasting your time and money on this truck, and if nothing else the engine.

Just because its not worth it to you doesn't mean its not worth it to him. The chip would advance timing and modify the fuel maps, which would give power. For the throttle body, you can always find someone to bore it out for you. Its alot cheaper than buying a whole new bigger one.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:36 PM   #20
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

An open question to everyone involved in this thread.

Why are you wasting your time? How many times has little Steven asked about performance mods for his truck (and even cars he didn't own a long time ago) and then drop the subject... Only to ask the same question again, and then drop the subject? You might as well try explaining brain surgery to me, because I'll never try THAT either.

As you were.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 11:11 PM   #21
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo

Why are you wasting your time? How many times has little Steven asked about performance mods for his truck (and even cars he didn't own a long time ago) and then drop the subject... Only to ask the same question again, and then drop the subject? You might as well try explaining brain surgery to me, because I'll never try THAT either.

As you were.
Ehh..it's mostly spur of the moment when I think of these things
Old 10-17-2006, 11:34 PM   #22
Wally
I Know More Than You

We live in hope of you getting your hands dirty.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:31 AM   #23
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo

As you were.

....>True.

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:51 AM   #24
chillmiller
CF Newbie

Quote:
They don't make throttle bodies or the spacers for my engine, only the 4.0, same with the headers they only have them for the 3.0 and the 4.0 so uhh yea

really they make headers for the 3.0 i have been lookin all over for then i cant find em if ya got a link shoot it to me
chillmiller is offline   Reply With Quote