Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2006, 02:18 AM   #1
shad0w
CF Newbie

Transmission/loud humming noise over 25mph/power steering

I have a 1995 Lincoln Continental, 124k miles. 4.6l v8

The problem:

Couple weeks ago i was driving along and noticed this weird humming noise. It is as LOUD AS CAN BE. I have the radio all the way up and the windows open and i still hear this. It happens when im going faster than 20mph, and it only makes the noise/vibration when the steering wheel is straight, or turned to the right at all. when im going around left hand corners there is no sound.

The sound is best descibed as a loud rumble/hum. I can feel vibration in my gas pedal when i accelerate thru right hand corners. My transmission is shot so I am assuming it is the tranny, but could it be wheel bearings or something like that?
shad0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 07:03 AM   #2
Andrew0261
CF Enthusiast

im pretty sure it the wheel bearing going out on you might wanna go and find which wheel it is and replace it.

Last edited by Andrew0261 : 10-23-2006 at 02:45 AM.
Andrew0261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 07:15 PM   #3
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Sounds like a Nearside Wheel bearing to me, more than likely a front one, given your explaination. It probably is still there when you turn thr other direction, just far less fierce.

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 06:20 AM   #4
shad0w
CF Newbie

Yeah it makes the sound when im turning the other way, but its barely noticeable.

Thanks for the input, I'll take the bearings out tomorrow and check them
Old 10-21-2006, 02:03 PM   #5
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shad0w
Yeah it makes the sound when im turning the other way, but its barely noticeable.

Thanks for the input, I'll take the bearings out tomorrow and check them
You won't need to remove them to check them, just jacj the car up and spin the wheels by hand!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Old 10-22-2006, 03:55 AM   #6
shad0w
CF Newbie

Well the bearing is deffinately shot. When I turn the hub I can feel it grinding, versus the other wheel which is nice and smooth.

Now i have a new problem

I can't get the hub off because the 3 bolts are behind this gear thing thats on the axle.

I don't really know what I am doing now, I have no experience with the suspension (control arm, tie rod) components that need to be removed and stuff.

If anyone could walk me through it or knows someone around the Twin Cities that can do it cheap i would be quite a happy camper.
Old 10-22-2006, 01:40 PM   #7
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shad0w
Well the bearing is deffinately shot. When I turn the hub I can feel it grinding, versus the other wheel which is nice and smooth.

Now i have a new problem

I can't get the hub off because the 3 bolts are behind this gear thing thats on the axle.

I don't really know what I am doing now, I have no experience with the suspension (control arm, tie rod) components that need to be removed and stuff.

If anyone could walk me through it or knows someone around the Twin Cities that can do it cheap i would be quite a happy camper.
Due to being in the UK, I have absolutely no idea how the steering/suspension setup on your car is constructed, I will add though, that front bearings are often more difficult to replace than rear bearings, and often require a hydraulic bearing press to release them!