Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2006, 11:25 PM   #1
nati-boy
CF Newbie

help buying new sports car

i'm looking to buy a nice sports car. my budget is around $28,000 max (i might just lease the car tho if there is a good enought deal goin on)
i'm looking for something with good acceleration and handeling. its gotta be fast too.
a friend of mine has a 06 mustang v6 and i wanna be able to blow him off the road if at all possible

right now i'm looking at the 06/07 eclipse gt coupe with the 263 hp manual tran.
i'm also looking at an older (02-04) nissan 350z there is a 02 around here for 22,000
umm also i've looked into a miata mx-5, a rx-8 (both mazdas); a chrysler crossfire; i've seen some 04 GTOs that i liked and some dodge chargers i liked in my range too; and i guess the mustangs too v6 and i saw a v8 in my price range but the only thing with the 'stang is i don't wanna be rippin of my buddy but if its the best deal then i have no problem with it

so any suggestions you all have on what to get off of what i listed or any others you know would be extremely helpful. o and please explain why i should choose what you suggest

thanks and peace out
nati-boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 01:46 AM   #2
True_Brit
Has a new job!

i must have put this in the wrong thread, or it was deleted!

www.myspace.com/jhn123
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
........Greek warrior cant reply because hes probably beating it like it owes him money.

Last edited by True_Brit : 10-21-2006 at 12:15 PM.
True_Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 01:56 AM   #3
Valter
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nati-boy
i'm looking to buy a nice sports car. my budget is around $28,000 max (i might just lease the car tho if there is a good enought deal goin on)
i'm looking for something with good acceleration and handeling. its gotta be fast too.
a friend of mine has a 06 mustang v6 and i wanna be able to blow him off the road if at all possible

right now i'm looking at the 06/07 eclipse gt coupe with the 263 hp manual tran.
i'm also looking at an older (02-04) nissan 350z there is a 02 around here for 22,000
umm also i've looked into a miata mx-5, a rx-8 (both mazdas); a chrysler crossfire; i've seen some 04 GTOs that i liked and some dodge chargers i liked in my range too; and i guess the mustangs too v6 and i saw a v8 in my price range but the only thing with the 'stang is i don't wanna be rippin of my buddy but if its the best deal then i have no problem with it

so any suggestions you all have on what to get off of what i listed or any others you know would be extremely helpful. o and please explain why i should choose what you suggest

thanks and peace out
With the budget you have I'd firstly step away from the 350Zhit.

To blow V6 Mustangs off the road it won't take much effort.
The main question here will rely on whether you really need a brand new car or are willing to buy an used but still good one.

I love the Mustangs. I'd definitely go for the V8 version. Don't think that would be something to call "rip your buddy", but rather one of the best deals there are out there. It's a powerful car with a very low price.
A Mustang isn't something you can call "best handling around", although it is great for everyday use (lots of torque in low revs).
An MX-5 is a great option too.

However, dude, please let us know what your heart is set to.
With 28Gs you can buy almost any car (used) in the market. So let us know a few details about gas mileage pretensions, motor, handling, style, etc.
200lb.ft@3000RPM

Valter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 02:06 AM   #4
True_Brit
Has a new job!

a GTO is good if you like to take corners at speed looking through the side window (as clarkson said with the monaro)
http://cars.uk.msn.com/Reviews/artic...&wa=wsignin1.0

www.myspace.com/jhn123
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
........Greek warrior cant reply because hes probably beating it like it owes him money.
True_Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 07:49 PM   #5
nati-boy
CF Newbie

thanks for the help so far

Last edited by nati-boy : 10-20-2006 at 08:25 PM.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:24 PM   #6
nati-boy
CF Newbie

Quote:
The main question here will rely on whether you really need a brand new car or are willing to buy an used but still good one.

absolutely. i would buy a used car in a heartbeat if it was in good condition with decent miles. most of the cars i'm looking at are used.

Quote:
So let us know a few details about gas mileage pretensions, motor, handling, style, etc

well lets see gas mileage isn't too much of a worry as long as its not a complete gas hog (though i would prefer decent gas mileage).
i want the car to have good horsepower prollly near 300hp or so. and definetly a v6 or v8 although there are a few 4 cylinders i like such as the subaru wrx sti (if anyone knows anything about these please tell me wether its a decent ride or not).
i definetly want good handling. i'd like to be able to take corners at a good speed. also i don't plan on taking it out in snow or rain too much but winter is only about a month away so i'm sure theres gonna be times where its necessary so i'd like a car that isn't completely useless in adverse whether.
as for style i just want something sporty looking. as long as it doesn't look like a rock with wheels or just really ugly i'm fine.

so far i'm looking heavily into the Z, the new 04 GTOs, the wrx sti, and the eclipse. but i'm definetly looking for more suggestions and advice. i'm not the most knowledgable person when it comes to cars so all the help i get is apreciated.

o and i also look forward to modding my car. so the car i get needs to be somewhat inexpensive to mod. i hear the Z is really pricey to mod so thats a turn off. and i'll prolly be doing some drag in the future too so i need the car to be able to get off the line and go as quick as possible.

thanks for the help
Old 10-20-2006, 08:48 PM   #7
Valter
CF Enthusiast

I'd definitely go for the Mitsubishi Evolution or the Subaru WRX STi.

Because:

They have excellent handling
They can run on any weather
They are turbocharged, what makes it ridiculously cheap to improve power (and thus "modding" the car and/or going drag racing)
They look good
They are NOT thirsty
They are fast and light, and can accomodate 5 people WITH a decent trunk.
They are cheap.

I'd go for something in that area.
200lb.ft@3000RPM

Old 10-21-2006, 02:25 AM   #8
Anohaakten
CF Newbie

Replying

Well, I don't reply all that often but since you are in the same price range as my dad was when he was looking for a car. I thought I could throw a few suggestions out. I have done a lot of research within the price range of under 30 grand, in your case 28 grand. Anyways, to the good stuff. Yes, you could get a Subaru WRX STi, or a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 8 or even a Honda S2000 or Nissan 350Z or 2005 Pontiac GTO (has 400 HP instead of the 350 HP provided by the 2003-2004 GTO's) Just thought I would let you know that. Now lets stop with the silly cars. I am gonna get to the cars that are far better overall. And when you want to take off that silly boy racer look, and be a business man in your new BMW M3 (Get a 2000 or newer for the year, they look much better and can be found under $30,000, which is a great pickup) These cars not only look great, they ride great, handle great, have 333 hp, does the 0-60 in 4.8 seconds standard leather, and just attract the babes. You won't be finding to many babes being attracted to the Mitsubishi Evo, or the STi. Another car that is great is the Lexus SC430, seriously, check it out, my dad just purchased one of these. He bought his for $29,000 with 55,000 miles on it. The Lexus SC430 sports a V8 with 300 hp, it is also a HardTop Converitble, yes I said hardtop. It comes with standard leather, a great Mark Levinson stereo, 4 seats, RWD for the handling and looks very classy but yet has handling capability and straightline performance. My dad's is wonderful and Lexus is one of the most reliable companys in the business, so that is another plus. My dad loves it, and doesnt plan on getting rid of anytime soon. So those are the choices that I will have you consider, but it all depends upon what you want. Whether you want speed, looks, classy looks, boy racer, and the list goes on.....

Hope I helped,
Anohaakten
Anohaakten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 02:33 AM   #9
Anohaakten
CF Newbie

Replying

Sorry, forgot to add this in. I just want you to consider this, cuz this is what turned my dad away from getting an Evo or STi or a GTO. He figured the people that owned these cars, were young kids, who beat the snot out of them. We took an Evo for a test drive and the Check Engine Soon light was on and the car just did not run all that well. So keep in mind that if you buy an Evo or STi or GTO, be prepared to replace many parts because they were beat on and many engines problems and replacing the Clutch frequently, since they burn through them like nothing. So, that is why he bought his Lexus SC430, also in the Lexus, you can talk to the person next to you without yelling, (the Evo has terrible road noise) and the Lexus, you can't even tell when the engine is started it is so quiet, and has virtually no road noise. So when you are done racing with your friends (since that does get old real fast) you can take your girlfriend out, with the topdown or up cruisin' and she will be amazed how luxurious, yet how powerful it is.

Anohaakten
Anohaakten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 03:23 AM   #10
Valter
CF Enthusiast

Anohaakten has a point.
However, Mitsubishi Evo can be bought brand new by a reasonable price (the M3 cannot, too expensive). And a brand new car will never have the problems he mentioned.

Also, the EVO will beat the crap out of the M3 any day AND is very cheap to mod. The M3 is very expensive and anything you do to mod it will double its price.

If I was looking to buy a car to be easily modded later, I would buy a stock turbo car (preferably a brand new one, not a "beat by youngsters"). They are much cheaper, torquier and very strong and affordable to mod. But that's just me.

Cheapest M3 (coupe) is 15,000 Dollars more expensive than the most expensive Evo, for example.
200lb.ft@3000RPM

Old 10-30-2006, 11:33 PM   #11
2PInZ
CF Newbie

i noticed you mentioned the RX-8. my friend gives me a ride to school everyday, and he drives an RX-8....that car has some pretty sweet power, but just a warning, the back seats have barely any room.
2PInZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 03:09 AM   #12
Bronxie
Dont know crap about cars

Like someone said, I would get a used evo or an wrx sti.

If you want handling, you might want a used porsche boxster or bmw m3. I have never driven an evo or wrx but I know for a fact BMWs and porsches are amazing handling and they are reputable for that reason.

A 2001 bmw m3 can be found for your price.

A 2002 porsche boxster can be found for your price.

The m3 is the faster of the two, and more functional as an all-purpose car, as the boxster is obviously a roadster :\ I'd go for the m3

Driving a lotus is more thrilling than sex.
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 04:18 AM   #13
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxie
Like someone said, I would get a used evo or an wrx sti.

If you want handling, you might want a used porsche boxster or bmw m3. I have never driven an evo or wrx but I know for a fact BMWs and porsches are amazing handling and they are reputable for that reason.

A 2001 bmw m3 can be found for your price.

A 2002 porsche boxster can be found for your price.

The m3 is the faster of the two, and more functional as an all-purpose car, as the boxster is obviously a roadster :\ I'd go for the m3

An Evo or STI would hand the M3 and Boxster their asses. Especially when you start layin down mod money.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:27 AM   #14
Spanky2324
JDM LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacFan27
An Evo or STI would hand the M3 and Boxster their asses. Especially when you start layin down mod money.
i concur as well as this whole "look like a business man and not a racer look" screw that why should personal imagery get in the way of what you like. Why have society tell you what looks good and doesn't. If you like it buy it. If you don't but other people do who cares. I remember a commercial for a car(i think jetta) where some new business kid did carpool and he turned on his stereo and it was playing metal. The senior members in his car looked at him and he got all embarassed. Bottom line I'd say a evo or sti you can even find a v8 mustang for 28k new(friend got his for 26new) Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

92% of teens moved on to rap music.
If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday, put this in your signature

Owning a DSM is like having retarded kids. You get angered and frustrated by them yet you love them to death.
Spanky2324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 02:08 PM   #15
Bronxie
Dont know crap about cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacFan27

Anything can hand a 2002 boxster its ass, I just suggested it cause porsches are awesome to own and it would still own a v6 mustang. As for mods, BMW has probably the biggest aftermarket for parts in the world.

Also, the wrx sti and evo are BOTH turbocharged, so can he turbocharge it again? Maybe he can but I don't think so.

Secondly, the evo and sti are both awd, I dunno if he cares about that or not but it could be a positive for some people, also a negative.

Lastly, if you really want a new car you could get a 2006 350z coupe for exactly 28k, base model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanky
i concur as well as this whole "look like a business man and not a racer look" screw that why should personal imagery get in the way of what you like. Why have society tell you what looks good and doesn't. If you like it buy it. If you don't but other people do who cares. I remember a commercial for a car(i think jetta) where some new business kid did carpool and he turned on his stereo and it was playing metal. The senior members in his car looked at him and he got all embarassed. Bottom line I'd say a evo or sti you can even find a v8 mustang for 28k new(friend got his for 26new) Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

Society dictates a lot of things you do based on what looks good and what doesn't, think about how you'd have to dress for a job interview, and how it would affect you if you dressed in rags and stuff.

I don't agree that the evo and sti aren't good enough for society, I am just making a point.

Driving a lotus is more thrilling than sex.

Last edited by Bronxie : 10-31-2006 at 02:41 PM.
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote