Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2006, 12:40 AM   #1
dogmagts60
CF Newbie

00 firebird turbocharger.

I have been looking for a turbo charger for my firebird for about 2 months but i cant find one. its a 2000 v6 3.8l firebird. does anyone know if they make them for this car. I was thinking about buying the ls1 firebird but have decided to stay with the one i got now.
dogmagts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 01:02 AM   #2
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmagts60
I have been looking for a turbo charger for my firebird for about 2 months but i cant find one. its a 2000 v6 3.8l firebird. does anyone know if they make them for this car. I was thinking about buying the ls1 firebird but have decided to stay with the one i got now.

Whats your budget? Did that have an impact on staying with the V6? I am going to be buying a 98 LS1 camaro very soon, great deal at 6500 with under 100k on it. Are you decided on a turbo or have you looked into superchargers? Either one of these including paying someone to install it and a tune will run most likely around 4k+, I think if you could get a decent amount for your current firebird it may not be out of the question to go LS1 seeing as how a turbocharged V6 wouldn't be that much faster than a STOCK LS1. Plus you have to change our your rear end for all the added power, and adjust accordingly your transmission whether it be auto or manual for the new power as well as other thing.s

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 03:30 AM   #3
dogmagts60
CF Newbie

im willing to spend a grand or under. i have someone to install it for me so it wont cost me anything for the installation. i was thinking about getting the ls1 later on. and sell the firebird it with the turbocharger. i am keeping the firebird for now until i save up for the ls1. where can i get one and how much would it cost

Last edited by dogmagts60 : 11-02-2006 at 03:34 AM.
dogmagts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 03:40 AM   #4
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmagts60
im willing to spend a grand or under. i have someone to install it for me so it wont cost me anything for the installation. i was thinking about getting the ls1 later on. and sell the firebird it with the turbocharger. I am keeping the firebird for now until i save up for the ls1. where can i get one and how much would it cost

For a grand and under you will have to go with a used setup, also you will eventually need a dyno tune to be reliable, but they are expensive as well. I think your best bet would be to save the money and just drive the firebird, I think even if you find a cheap used turbocharger and got a good deal on a dyno your still looking at 1500+

"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Old 11-03-2006, 01:36 AM   #5
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Just as the others said (more or less) turboing the V6 is a waste of $. If you just keep your Firebird stock for now, you're already $1000 closer to an LS1. Generally speaking a modded car will sell for nothing compared to what you put into it, so you won't recoup your losses on the turbo setup when you sell the bird. Also, $1000 isn't going to give you a very good setup (understatement), a dyno tune alone will cost a few hundred. I don't know offhand of any turbo setups for this car, but perhaps nitrous would suit you better/hold you over untill you get an LS1.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 04:04 PM   #6
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by giant016
Just as the others said (more or less) turboing the V6 is a waste of $. If you just keep your Firebird stock for now, you're already $1000 closer to an LS1. Generally speaking a modded car will sell for nothing compared to what you put into it, so you won't recoup your losses on the turbo setup when you sell the bird. Also, $1000 isn't going to give you a very good setup (understatement), a dyno tune alone will cost a few hundred. I don't know offhand of any turbo setups for this car, but perhaps nitrous would suit you better/hold you over untill you get an LS1.

I'm sure they make them and have them, but seeing as how they most likely aren't as mass produced as the V8 are harder and more expensive. As for Nitrous it's your choice but too big of a shot and too much of it will kill the car. Rear end transmission engine any of those things, I'd recommend just to wait, save up, and get an LS1.

Old 11-04-2006, 04:16 PM   #7
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

You don't have to get a used turbo kit for 1000 or less. Thats only if you're an idiot and actually want to waste money on a complete turbo "kit" sold by a vendor. Either order the piping or have it fabbed, and buy the turbo and the other odds and ends off ebay.
Old 11-04-2006, 05:08 PM   #8
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacFan27
You don't have to get a used turbo kit for 1000 or less. Thats only if you're an idiot and actually want to waste money on a complete turbo "kit" sold by a vendor.

So you're saying everyone who buys a complete turbo kit from an idiot is a vendor? You're the only idiot here. If this were true, then out of all the more intellegent people out there,( and trust me there are a TON of people out there more intelligent than you) they wouldn't do this and there wouldn't be such a market for turbo kits, but they do and there is. And there are a helkluva alot mroe odds and ends than just "piping and the turbo". Please go spread your ignorance else were.

Old 11-05-2006, 12:21 AM   #9
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythias
So you're saying everyone who buys a complete turbo kit from an idiot is a vendor? You're the only idiot here. If this were true, then out of all the more intellegent people out there,( and trust me there are a TON of people out there more intelligent than you) they wouldn't do this and there wouldn't be such a market for turbo kits, but they do and there is. And there are a helkluva alot mroe odds and ends than just "piping and the turbo". Please go spread your ignorance else were.

I said to get the piping, turbo, AND the other odds and ends. People buy turbo kits because they're lazy and get everything from one place. However if they would research the parts they need they could buy them individually for alot cheaper plus you can pick the parts you want, not what the vendor could find/make for the cheapest to pawn onto you.
Old 11-05-2006, 02:41 AM   #10
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
I said to get the piping, turbo, AND the other odds and ends. People buy turbo kits because they're lazy and get everything from one place. However if they would research the parts they need they could buy them individually for alot cheaper plus you can pick the parts you want, not what the vendor could find/make for the cheapest to pawn onto you.

You seem to speak out of personal experience, care to share with us some of your own personal turbo kit builds vs. commercialized turbo kits?

Old 11-05-2006, 05:42 AM   #11
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
You seem to speak out of personal experience, care to share with us some of your own personal turbo kit builds vs. commercialized turbo kits?

I've never purchased a turbo kit. But I still understand basic economics. A company will try to make as much money as it can off of a product. Thats why aftermarket heads,exhaust setups, head units, speakers, and all other things tend to be alot better. Would you rather buy something from a company that spends all of its research money and time into a specialized product(like a blow off, just as an example), or a generic part in a kit that the company skimped on to save itself some money? Kits are for people who are either incapable(in which case I wouldn't recommend doing high level mods to your car) or don't want to put forth the effort to find the parts themselves and have the money to spend on the mark-up from the seller of the kit so that they can make alot of profit.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:35 AM   #12
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
I've never purchased a turbo kit.

Thank you.

Old 11-07-2006, 12:39 AM   #13
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Thank you.

And I never will buy a turbo kit. For the very reasons you ignored, probably because you have no arguments against them.

Have YOU ever purchased a turbo kit? Since I'm assuming you haven't, you cannot count the fact that I haven't as a valid argument against my points. Quit making yourself look like a dumbass. Its clear you're circling around the issue.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:52 AM   #14
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

I was simply being a smartass, can't take a little humor? That time of the month already?

Old 11-07-2006, 02:31 AM   #15
Monsta
Banned

This isn't to be taken offensively Pythias, but lately you've been giving a lot of dumb input. It's like you're posting in anger and not thinking. Also, you're insulting way too much.

PontiacFan27 isn't an idiot.
Monsta is offline   Reply With Quote