Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2006, 10:28 PM   #1
Mr.Civic
CF Newbie

Speed Limiter for 95 Eclipse

Alright well after selling my 240 i bought a 1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T.I have not put any mods in it yet.What i want to know is if anyone knows how to take out the speed limiter.Thanks.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:32 PM   #2
chris_knows
๑۩۞

It's usually there for a reason...Why would you need to go over something like 125 miles anyways?
Old 11-04-2006, 11:13 PM   #3
Mr.Civic
CF Newbie

Because im trying to race with it.And plus it limits your rev.Just need to know if anyone knows how to do it.again thanx
Old 11-04-2006, 11:15 PM   #4
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

The rev limiter would limit your rev's not the speed limiter. And chances are with the small amount of power you're putting down you won't be able to go much over 110 anyway Also unless you modify it a ton the stock rev limiter is fine because it should be set at a rev farther above even when you are making no more power.

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 12:23 AM   #5
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythias
The rev limiter would limit your rev's not the speed limiter. And chances are with the small amount of power you're putting down you won't be able to go much over 110 anyway Also unless you modify it a ton the stock rev limiter is fine because it should be set at a rev farther above even when you are making no more power.

Yet, you call me ignorant.
Old 11-05-2006, 02:39 AM   #6
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacFan27
Yet, you call me ignorant.

Why because there's a difference between a rev limiter and a governor and because there is a high chance that stock power wise he won't be able to go far beyond wat the governor is set to? And because stock rev limiters don't really need to be messed with until you are making power past the stock rev limiter?

"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Old 11-05-2006, 03:32 AM   #7
Mr.Civic
CF Newbie

Well i just put a N1 catback and a injen intake.I feel a big ass difference in the car.Oh and about the governer,i know how to trick the ECU so i dont need to worry bout that and plus some random guy took it off and so far the fastest ive went was about 155-160.Its alright but thanks anyways.
Old 11-05-2006, 05:45 AM   #8
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Why because there's a difference between a rev limiter and a governor and because there is a high chance that stock power wise he won't be able to go far beyond wat the governor is set to? And because stock rev limiters don't really need to be messed with until you are making power past the stock rev limiter?

Trust me, 210 horsepower can get a car like the Eclipse to the high 130/ low 140 mph range.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:38 AM   #9
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Trust me, 210 horsepower can get a car like the Eclipse to the high 130/ low 140 mph range.

Misread, thought it was a non-turbo.

Old 11-05-2006, 08:49 AM   #10
Spanky2324
JDM LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Civic
Well i just put a N1 catback and a injen intake.I feel a big ass difference in the car.Oh and about the governer,i know how to trick the ECU so i dont need to worry bout that and plus some random guy took it off and so far the fastest ive went was about 155-160.Its alright but thanks anyways.
I don't know about that with just intake and a cat. Is it a cai?

92% of teens moved on to rap music.
If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday, put this in your signature

Owning a DSM is like having retarded kids. You get angered and frustrated by them yet you love them to death.
Spanky2324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 10:57 AM   #11
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Misread, thought it was a non-turbo.

Even the GS and RS can go over 110mph. But I'm almost sure you could not have misread GS-T for RS.

Quote:

Yes indeed there is a difference between a rev limiter and a governor, however you powers of observation need a little correcting. All cars make power past the stock limit. Whether its 8K or 6.5K, power will still be made past the limit. The question is how safe is it to make power in that range?

While a governor might not directly inhibit your RPM, the ecu kicking you back in 5th gear at 6K would definitely sell you short of the top limit of 7500. The two are two completely different "safety" mechanisms, but when discussing top speeds (as the original question asked) they become somewhat related...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Civic
Alright well after selling my 240 i bought a 1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T.I have not put any mods in it yet.What i want to know is if anyone knows how to take out the speed limiter.Thanks.

The relvant information you are seeking can be found at this website.
http://www.dsm.org/how-tos/speedlimiter.htm

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 08:20 PM   #12
Mr.Civic
CF Newbie

Thanks for the link i didnt do it yet because im looking for those Z-rated tires.If you know where theyre selling them could you please reply and tell me the link.Im going to check on eBay now.Once again thanks.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:25 PM   #13
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
Even the GS and RS can go over 110mph. But I'm almost sure you could not have misread GS-T for RS.

Yes indeed there is a difference between a rev limiter and a governor, however you powers of observation need a little correcting. All cars make power past the stock limit. Whether its 8K or 6.5K, power will still be made past the limit. The question is how safe is it to make power in that range?

Let us not forget GS.

Also, most cars power band drops off before the rev limiter kicks in. Cam and ignition timing and exhaust evacuation becomes a major hinderance at high RPM. Its stupid to shift when you hit the rev limiter because chances are your power dropped off a long time ago. If you want to know when to shift, get your car dynoed. That will tell you when you should shift.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:54 PM   #14
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer

Thats nice, I'm glad you know more of what I misread than I do.

Quote:
Let us not forget GS.

Also, most cars power band drops off before the rev limiter kicks in. Cam and ignition timing and exhaust evacuation becomes a major hinderance at high RPM. Its stupid to shift when you hit the rev limiter because chances are your power dropped off a long time ago.
If you want to know when to shift, get your car dynoed. That will tell you when you should shift.

Exactly...

Last edited by Pythias : 11-05-2006 at 08:57 PM.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:16 AM   #15
Mr.Civic
CF Newbie

Yeah ive been trying to ind a dynomachine in gerogia but i dont know where they are.I hear that they're sometimes in Atlanta Motor Speedway but ive only seen them when its Nopi Nationals.If anybody knows where to find a dynomachine in Gerogia leave a link to it or address.