Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2006, 01:28 AM   #1
True_Brit
Has a new job!
 
True_Brit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Falmouth, Backward County, UK
Posts: 2,432
just wondering....

(1st car related question from me)

rescently i got a new car (new to me, its a 96 vauxhall vectra 1800, done 106,000miles and its in prety good condition, to my knowledge anyway, the previous owner was a mechanic) anyway, back to the point!!!
i was on my way home with my dad he was driving, around the 45-60mph point, the car would start hesitating when going up hill or after changing up a gear, just starts jumping, sort of, nothing else is bad though, no loss of speed etc!!!
im just wondering what could be the problem, help greatly appreciated
__________________

www.myspace.com/jhn123
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
........Greek warrior cant reply because hes probably beating it like it owes him money.
True_Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 01:41 AM   #2
True_Brit
Has a new job!
 
True_Brit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Falmouth, Backward County, UK
Posts: 2,432
bufge...my first serious question here people!!!! you should be jumping at the chance!!! it can wait anyway, unless it would get worse?
__________________

www.myspace.com/jhn123
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
........Greek warrior cant reply because hes probably beating it like it owes him money.
True_Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 08:27 PM   #3
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Brit
bufge...my first serious question here people!!!! you should be jumping at the chance!!! it can wait anyway, unless it would get worse?
Hey, I'm still waiting for a response from somebody about my stereo querie, lol.....It's irrelevent now anyways

You say that the car hesitates when going 45-60mph. Is the car in 5th gear at this point? If so, the engine is gonna be revving lower and arguably working harder. It could just need a set of spark plugs or leads. It might also be running with too strong/weak a fuel/air mixture. The latter would require you to take it to a garage so they can hook it up to their machine. The former should be easy enough for you to tackle. I reccomend you take a spark plug out and see if it looks old or fouled in fuel etc. Get back to me when you've looked at this, alternatively you could book it in at a garage....

Oh, also, is it kicking out any suspect blackish smoke or similar?
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48

Last edited by Cliffy : 11-07-2006 at 08:33 PM.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 02:29 AM   #4
True_Brit
Has a new job!
 
True_Brit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Falmouth, Backward County, UK
Posts: 2,432
all that happens is it seems to have a flat spot, no matter what gear its in! we will be having it checked over though, by the previous owner (hes a work colleague) no smoke, black or blue! i was told it may be dirty injectors but i dont know if thats true! also, can anyone tell me if its a single injector or a multi injection???, because i have not had a proper look at the engine yet, and i dont know everything in the engine! (if you know what i mean)
__________________

www.myspace.com/jhn123
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
........Greek warrior cant reply because hes probably beating it like it owes him money.
True_Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 02:45 AM   #5
Wally
I Know More Than You
 
Wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oz
Posts: 2,564
Checked the basics, like spark plugs?
__________________
"She gave me a look only a mother could give a child."
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 02:52 AM   #6
True_Brit
Has a new job!
 
True_Brit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Falmouth, Backward County, UK
Posts: 2,432
i know this may (or will) seem useless but i have no time at all apart from sundays to look at the car! im on holiday from this saturday till tuesday so ill be away from the car, hopefully, the car will be checked then, either by my dad or the person coming to check it out!
__________________

www.myspace.com/jhn123
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
........Greek warrior cant reply because hes probably beating it like it owes him money.
True_Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 12:47 AM   #7
lectroid
0000?
 
lectroid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Redneck Hillbilly Heaven
Posts: 1,123
Sounds like a fuel restriction. pump,screen or filter.
__________________
Life is not a bitch, it just came with the package. [IMG][/IMG]
Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.
lectroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 11:08 PM   #8
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Brit
can anyone tell me if its a single injector or a multi injection???, because i have not had a proper look at the engine yet, and i dont know everything in the engine! (if you know what i mean)
Multi-point injection, assuming it's a 16-Valve and not one of the rare 8-Valvers!
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 12:09 AM   #9
True_Brit
Has a new job!
 
True_Brit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Falmouth, Backward County, UK
Posts: 2,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Multi-point injection, assuming it's a 16-Valve and not one of the rare 8-Valvers!
it is a 16valve motor!
just thought! there wouldnt be a chance it would be the fuel im using???
im using most of the time TOTAL Unleaded Premium! does that make a difference to using normal unleaded???
__________________

www.myspace.com/jhn123
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
........Greek warrior cant reply because hes probably beating it like it owes him money.
True_Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 12:18 AM   #10
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Brit
it is a 16valve motor!
just thought! there wouldnt be a chance it would be the fuel im using???
im using most of the time TOTAL Unleaded Premium! does that make a difference to using normal unleaded???
Premium unleaded is standard unleaded...I believe Total's high octane stuff is called Excellium!
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 12:23 AM   #11
True_Brit
Has a new job!
 
True_Brit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Falmouth, Backward County, UK
Posts: 2,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Premium unleaded is standard unleaded...I believe Total's high octane stuff is called Excellium!
thats the stuff! well, any difference apart from the fact it can "clean your engine" etc etc yadda yadda blah blah!
__________________

www.myspace.com/jhn123
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
........Greek warrior cant reply because hes probably beating it like it owes him money.
True_Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 12:30 AM   #12
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Brit
thats the stuff! well, any difference apart from the fact it can "clean your engine" etc etc yadda yadda blah blah!
I wouldn't bother with it to be honest, it won't make much difference. I suggest you use the normal stuff for a couple of fillups and see how it goes. If the car's not used to being run on high octane fuel it might have had an adverse effect!

Also, do you...or rather, have you ever, run the car low on fuel? I make sure I run all mine to nearly empty once in a while, just so I know how many miles I can sensibly do to a tank. If the car's not used to this though, it might splutter a bit untill you fill it up again....due to the crap at the bottom of the tank...as I found with my Golf.....just before I went on Holiday this year...Luckily it was okay after I put fuel in it! For the record your Vectra should return around 450-miles (maybe slightly more) to a full tank.
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48

Last edited by Cliffy : 11-10-2006 at 12:34 AM.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 12:33 AM   #13
Wally
I Know More Than You
 
Wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oz
Posts: 2,564
Unless you have filled up with contaminated fuel or live in a third world country, it shouldn't matter what pump fuel you run.
__________________
"She gave me a look only a mother could give a child."
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 12:36 AM   #14
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
Unless you have filled up with contaminated fuel or live in a third world country, it shouldn't matter what pump fuel you run.
I eventually screwed up my Corolla's sender unit when I used contaminated fule....it was stuff from customers' cars.....when they misfueled, lol. I doubt we'd get away with it these days though
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 12:40 AM   #15
True_Brit
Has a new job!
 
True_Brit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Falmouth, Backward County, UK
Posts: 2,432
well, thanks for the help, i think i have (more than) sufficient info on what might be the problem! thanks again guys!
__________________

www.myspace.com/jhn123
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
........Greek warrior cant reply because hes probably beating it like it owes him money.
True_Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.