Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2004, 10:02 PM   #1
kds_daddy
CF Newbie

'92 ford taurus owner with idle problem

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hey everyone. im new here. my name is scott. i have a 92 ford taurus w/ a v6 3.0 liter and i just replaced the alternator w/ one from the junk yard ($35 vs $170 (and limited funds) and i also put on new cv boots. im trying to learn car repair, my father in law is teaching me the little he knows (brakes, alternators, etc.) and im teaching myself everything else. i wonder if its the idle speed sensor and ive heard i can measure it w/ my multimeter but how and what am i looking for? and also, can i draw diagnostic info w/ a key sequence that will flash the idiot lights. i thought my dad used to do that on some of the other cars. thank you.
-scott
kds_daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 10:04 PM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kds_daddy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hey everyone. im new here. my name is scott. i have a 92 ford taurus w/ a v6 3.0 liter and i just replaced the alternator w/ one from the junk yard ($35 vs $170 (and limited funds) and i also put on new cv boots. im trying to learn car repair, my father in law is teaching me the little he knows (brakes, alternators, etc.) and im teaching myself everything else. i wonder if its the idle speed sensor and ive heard i can measure it w/ my multimeter but how and what am i looking for? and also, can i draw diagnostic info w/ a key sequence that will flash the idiot lights. i thought my dad used to do that on some of the other cars. thank you.
-scott
1. Huh?

2. Yes.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 10:07 PM   #3
kds_daddy
CF Newbie

sorry, my question wasnt as clear as i meant it to be

the engine is idling very fast and i would like to fix it so im not blowing so much gas and wearing on the engine so hard. ive heard it could be the idle speed control but how do i know and the rest is in the first post
Old 04-14-2004, 10:12 PM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
the engine is idling very fast and i would like to fix it so im not blowing so much gas and wearing on the engine so hard. ive heard it could be the idle speed control but how do i know and the rest is in the first post
Yeah, that clarifies everything. Let me change my answer to this.

http://www.partsamerica.com/PartDeta...=62 6&PTSet=A

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 04-14-2004, 10:20 PM   #5
kds_daddy
CF Newbie

ive already got the book thats where i found out about the idle speed sensor but i read something online about being able to put a multimeter across the sensor to read the voltage and determine if its bad. but i dont know where to put the meter or what i should get for a good/normal reading. and also. can i get some diagnostic info from the idiot lites by turning the key so many times or something? this stuff the book doesnt get into.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:27 PM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
ive already got the book thats where i found out about the idle speed sensor but i read something online about being able to put a multimeter across the sensor to read the voltage and determine if its bad. but i dont know where to put the meter or what i should get for a good/normal reading. and also. can i get some diagnostic info from the idiot lites by turning the key so many times or something? this stuff the book doesnt get into.
Okay. You need to start spending just a little more time reading your manual or whatever you're getting your info from. There is no such thing as an idle speed sensor. How about an idle air control valve? Why are we on the harder to test, more expensive parts? Have you taken the time to look for a simple vacuum leak? I don't know any of these things because you're talking in codes expecting people to know what you're talking about. Try reading this first and then maybe starting over.

http://www.car-forums.com/talk/showthread.php?t=2200

Old 04-14-2004, 10:36 PM   #7
kds_daddy
CF Newbie

ok

so soap bubble all my vacum hoses and check for leaks or whats the best method to figure out whats wrong? where should i start. im just learning, sorry.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:08 PM   #8
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
so soap bubble all my vacum hoses and check for leaks or whats the best method to figure out whats wrong? where should i start. im just learning, sorry.
This is my last attempt to save this thread. Go to the link below and read it carefully, then apply what you learn to this situation.

http://www.car-forums.com/talk/showthread.php?t=2200

Old 04-15-2004, 04:13 AM   #9
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire

If you got a good DYI type auto book for the 92 Tarus such as Haynes, or Chiltons, ($15.00, Autozone, Advance, O'Reilly, etc or $5.00 if you can find one @ a used bookstore) you will find out several things about your Tarus. You will find out there are several things which could cause the car to idle fast such as some device such as the AC system sending a bad signal through the ECM to speed idle, bad throttle position sensor, bad coolant temperature sensor, bad IAC or idle air bypass valve. Use the instructions in the book to obtain the trouble codes in Key On Engine Off (KOEO) and Key On, Engine Running (KOER) conditions to provide a STARTING POINT for further trouble shooting.

Since some of theese parts can run between $50 and $100 each, suggest a little trouble shooting first.
tbaxleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote