Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2006, 11:48 PM   #16
Wally
I Know More Than You

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaman
Ok, allow me to imagine for a minute...

Let's say that just for the thrill and enjoyment of the work and of the result that it would give me, I wanted to add a few horsepower to my LeSabre. (3800 Series II, 205 hp/230 tq.) However, I have a small budget because I want to save money for any unexpected repairs that may come up. So for right now, let's say my budget is $200, maybe $300 maximum.

I'm completely new to the area of car modification so all this might seem like common sense type stuff to some of you, but well...

My question is, for that amount of money what can I do to my car to increase horsepower? I have the basic amount of tools, no welders, or anything involved in metal work, but ratchet sets, blah blah etc., all that I do have.

The amount of work involved, the power gains, etc. would be helpful...

Thanks.

If I only had $200 I wouldn't be dicking around with useless pod filters. My first port of call is always the throttle.... they are invariably constricted on factory spec cars.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:42 AM   #17
hondaman
I drive a Buick.

Unfortunately Wally, I have already spent my budget so it looks as though that may have to come later.

But I got the exhaust put on today! Everything is as I stated before, Magnaflow muffler, etc.

Pics:

Magnaflow! Or at least my best attempt to capture it.

New tip.

And most importantly, the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5p1ZjUi6mI

Has a nice deep growl to it.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:06 AM   #18
smallangryneon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaman
Ok, allow me to imagine for a minute...

Let's say that just for the thrill and enjoyment of the work and of the result that it would give me, I wanted to add a few horsepower to my LeSabre. (3800 Series II, 205 hp/230 tq.) However, I have a small budget because I want to save money for any unexpected repairs that may come up. So for right now, let's say my budget is $200, maybe $300 maximum.

I'm completely new to the area of car modification so all this might seem like common sense type stuff to some of you, but well...

My question is, for that amount of money what can I do to my car to increase horsepower? I have the basic amount of tools, no welders, or anything involved in metal work, but ratchet sets, blah blah etc., all that I do have.

The amount of work involved, the power gains, etc. would be helpful...

Thanks.

Good lord, think what a Buick would sound like with an aftermarket exhaust ... you might almost be able to hear it ... and you might even be able to do a ten-minute quarter mile now with those extra horses.
smallangryneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 03:57 AM   #19
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallangryneon
Good lord, think what a Buick would sound like with an aftermarket exhaust ... you might almost be able to hear it ... and you might even be able to do a ten-minute quarter mile now with those extra horses.

Everyone has their own likes/dislikes, budget, etc. Stop being an ass, the world doesn't revolve around you and your neon .
Old 11-15-2006, 05:33 PM   #20
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

Have you thought of buying a Supercharger off of a GTP they use the same 3.8 dont know about the C/R and bottom end parts so you may wanna look into that, but the GTP S/C are cheap on Ebay.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:01 AM   #21
hondaman
I drive a Buick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enthusiast
Have you thought of buying a Supercharger off of a GTP they use the same 3.8 dont know about the C/R and bottom end parts so you may wanna look into that, but the GTP S/C are cheap on Ebay.
I have indeed, but if I did I'd probably get the supercharger off the Regal/Park Avenue/Riviera. The Grand Prix 3.8 is slightly different than mine, but if they are as cheap as you say it may be something to look into, it's possible with a bit of work. Of course, I'd have to do a fair amount to modify the internals to be able to work with the supercharger, in the end it may be cheaper or in any case easier to just do an engine swap.