Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2006, 08:37 PM   #1
Guinness4life
CF Newbie

High noticeable engine noise when kickdown, major problem?

Hi everyone, I own a 1999 Toyota Camry Automatic 2.2L 4 Cylinder. Only until today when I kick down the engine noise becomes noticably higher in comparison with before. Also its taking more time to switch between gears. And accerelation isn't as good as before. At first i thought this was happening cause my tank is empty. But I fueled my tank and still the same high noticable noise everytime I kickdown.

Thanks and I'll really appreciate any kind of help.
Guinness4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 09:10 PM   #2
davsmitty
CF Addict

it almost sounds like the high-speed idle isnt kicking down at all. I had a similar problem with my truck (when it was running ) but that was because the new carburetor wasnt set properly. You dont have a carb to adjust, so Im not sure what would help. Before you do kick down, what does the engine sound like? If you have a tachometer, what rpm does it show before and after? Is the engine warm/cold when this happens or is it anytime it's on? Go down to a parts store (Autozone, Advance...) and have them pull the DTC's and copy them down then repost them here. I suspect a timing issue, or a confused computer.

hope I can help.
davsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:45 AM   #3
Guinness4life
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by davsmitty
it almost sounds like the high-speed idle isnt kicking down at all. I had a similar problem with my truck (when it was running ) but that was because the new carburetor wasnt set properly. You dont have a carb to adjust, so Im not sure what would help. Before you do kick down, what does the engine sound like? If you have a tachometer, what rpm does it show before and after? Is the engine warm/cold when this happens or is it anytime it's on? Go down to a parts store (Autozone, Advance...) and have them pull the DTC's and copy them down then repost them here. I suspect a timing issue, or a confused computer.

hope I can help.

Hey davsmitty, i went today to a local garage and they opened my hood and it turns out the air controller pipe connecting from my air filter to the engine throttle was broken. Stupid me, I should lifted the hood my self this morning and wouldv'e easily spotted it. Anyway its not a big problem, I'll just have take it easy on my kickdowns and not drive to fast until they order me the part (aprx. $55) tomorrow or after tomorrow.

Thanks for the help anyway.
Guinness4life is offline   Reply With Quote