Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2006, 12:10 PM   #1
dpwilhelmsen
CF Newbie

91 Geo Prizm Starts but Dies Immediately... Any Suggestions?

Hello. I own a 1991 Geo Prizim, 4AFE 4 cylinder 1.6 liter engine with a 3 speed automatic transmission. I recently came upon unfortunate car trouble and had to replace my transmision. Waiting for finances and looking for a good engine left my car sitting for a couple of months. However, I had finally replaced the transmission and my car started up just fine. I test drove it and it ran well, until I discovered that one of my brake calipers had locked up. I replaced the caliper without any problems. However, when I tried to start my car, the engine turned and started, but almost immediatly sputtered out and died. Afterwards, the engine willl turn, but wont start. After waiting a while, the same sequence happens over and over again. I try to start and it does but sputters out, sometimes making a knocking sound. Then it will turn but won't start. It turned over fine, so I didn't suspect the battery, however since it was sitting around for a while, I did place it on a charger, but that had no effect. I do have gas in the vehicle and I also checked the timing belt and that's all in order. I'm thinking I should start going through ignition and fuel system diagnostics. But if anyone has any ideas what could be causing this problem, I'd love to be pointed in the right direction. Thanks for all your help.

- Dan
dpwilhelmsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 01:50 PM   #2
Bronxie
Dont know crap about cars

Jeeze. No offense but I think you should just get a new car if possible.

Driving a lotus is more thrilling than sex.
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 07:00 PM   #3
dpwilhelmsen
CF Newbie

Haha no offense taken, I totally agree.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:16 AM   #4
carls47807
CF Freak

determining whether it is a fuel or ignition related problem will definitely put you on the right track. if you need help doing that let me know.
carls47807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 08:36 PM   #5
67Coronet383
CF Riff Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpwilhelmsen
Hello. I own a 1991 Geo Prizim, 4AFE 4 cylinder 1.6 liter engine with a 3 speed automatic transmission. I recently came upon unfortunate car trouble and had to replace my transmision. Waiting for finances and looking for a good engine left my car sitting for a couple of months. However, I had finally replaced the transmission and my car started up just fine. I test drove it and it ran well, until I discovered that one of my brake calipers had locked up. I replaced the caliper without any problems. However, when I tried to start my car, the engine turned and started, but almost immediatly sputtered out and died. Afterwards, the engine willl turn, but wont start. After waiting a while, the same sequence happens over and over again. I try to start and it does but sputters out, sometimes making a knocking sound. Then it will turn but won't start. It turned over fine, so I didn't suspect the battery, however since it was sitting around for a while, I did place it on a charger, but that had no effect. I do have gas in the vehicle and I also checked the timing belt and that's all in order. I'm thinking I should start going through ignition and fuel system diagnostics. But if anyone has any ideas what could be causing this problem, I'd love to be pointed in the right direction. Thanks for all your help.

- Dan
Sounds much like a fuel issue. Pump or filter are very likely canadiates. You should check the fuel pressure.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:58 PM   #6
dpwilhelmsen
CF Newbie

Ok, I was reading through the repair manual and discovered that since my car is fuel injected, i'd need some special adapter for my fuel preassure gauge. So i'll need to look into that. I know i can check my fuel pump, but is there any other diagnostics tests i can run on my fuel and ignition system to figure out what's wrong without having much more than a standard tool set and a timing light?