Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-22-2006, 11:56 PM   #76
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire
 
Pythias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ohio, U.S.
Posts: 1,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
See my response above. 12s are still fast. Just because you can buy a platform capable of doing it doesn't stop the fact that the vast majority (and I think 90% was being generous, it's more like 98%) of cars on the street cannot do that.

Again, kids today take too much for granted. You think that becaeu YOU bought ONE example and there are a couple thousand like you, that it's nothing important anymore. Out of the hundreds of thousasnds of new cars sold each year, how many can do it stock? And how many of the ones that are CLOSE are actually ever modded to GET there?

No, it's still fast.

In that quote he wasn't saying 12's weren't fast, he was saying with the right platform obtaining 12's is not as hard as it once was.
__________________
"Though I drive through the valley of rice,I shall fear no turbo for torque art with me. Thy rod and piston, they comfort me."

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 02:19 AM   #77
Bronxie
Dont know crap about cars
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Westchester Co., NY
Posts: 1,386
Pythias if you really can run 12s then that's ****in awesome but you have to understand why I thought it was a little farfetched.

I remembered one time you were talking about how there was all these mods you wanted to do to your car (I don't remember where) so presumptuously I figured you couldn't have had enough mods on it to be able to run 12s.
__________________


Driving a lotus is more thrilling than sex.
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 06:45 AM   #78
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire
 
Pythias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ohio, U.S.
Posts: 1,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxie
Pythias if you really can run 12s then that's ****in awesome but you have to understand why I thought it was a little farfetched.

I remembered one time you were talking about how there was all these mods you wanted to do to your car (I don't remember where) so presumptuously I figured you couldn't have had enough mods on it to be able to run 12s.

Yeah it's understandable because you don't have much knowledge about cars modding and potential out of combo's (and I'm not saying this to be a dick, just stating facts) But to just come all out and say I'm a ****ing liar adn there's no way in hell I could do it? If I had a 98-02 Camaro all it would really take is slicks and nitrous to run those low twelves. JUST those two things, with a few more into it 11's are very foreseeable. The thing is you go look up info and look and see 215hp stock there ain't no way, until you know all the modifications someone has there is NO WAY in hell you can say either or they CAN or CANNOT run those times. I know people who have gone low 11's on a 5k budget. YES it IS VERY possible to build a car that can outrun a Ford Gt for under 5k.
__________________
"Though I drive through the valley of rice,I shall fear no turbo for torque art with me. Thy rod and piston, they comfort me."

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 07:14 AM   #79
Bronxie
Dont know crap about cars
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Westchester Co., NY
Posts: 1,386
Ok well good job on getting those awesome times!
__________________


Driving a lotus is more thrilling than sex.

Last edited by Bronxie : 11-23-2006 at 07:29 AM.
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 07:09 PM   #80
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire
 
DSMer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
No, I disagree. Just because people are jaded and take shit for granted, does not make it slow. It's still fast: just because more of them are capable of it doesn't change that. 90% of the cars on the street are still not capable of it. Period.

Quote:
See my response above. 12s are still fast. Just because you can buy a platform capable of doing it doesn't stop the fact that the vast majority (and I think 90% was being generous, it's more like 98%) of cars on the street cannot do that.

Again, kids today take too much for granted. You think that becaeu YOU bought ONE example and there are a couple thousand like you, that it's nothing important anymore. Out of the hundreds of thousasnds of new cars sold each year, how many can do it stock? And how many of the ones that are CLOSE are actually ever modded to GET there?

No, it's still fast.

Granted that is very true, I think we are having a misinterpretation of what area of "fast" we are discussing. When comparing the stock speed of a few given cars to the hundreds of thousands of cars sold in America, yes 12 seconds is indeed fast.

However, when discussing "fast" as in the performance world of drag racing where most all of the cars are built for a particular aspect of performance; fast can be judged by the amount of cars in that specific genre that are actually achieving that speed. Granted most people who do modify their cars for drag racing(from the thousands kids with their Honda's to the few dozen teams with their funny cars) don't reach 12 seconds because there are just too many of them that simply are not avid drag racers.

All I'm saying(because I can't speak for anyone else here, nor would I want to ) is that in the dedicated group of cars the are built for drag racing by generally good mechanics or professional teams a 12 second car isn't slow, but rather more achievable than it would have been...say 10 years ago. Leading someone to make an uneducated statement that 12 second trap times are slow.

I remember going to the track with my father when I was 12. His Trans Am ran 12.6's and that was pretty fast at that track, but that was over 10 years ago. I went to the track recently with a buddy of mine to support his crew and there were 17yr old kids running 12's in Civics. Again 12 seconds isn't slow when compared to all the cars on public roads, but when comparing it to the small margin of those cars that are dedicated drag strip cars or street cars that are built for straight line performance 12 seconds isn't exactly in the upper margin. Hence the conception that 12 seconds is slow. I myself personally think thats fast, but I can't deny that a lot of cars in that specific genre are most definitely running that fast if not faster.
__________________

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 10:49 PM   #81
Bronxie
Dont know crap about cars
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Westchester Co., NY
Posts: 1,386
Fast is relative. Simple as that.
__________________


Driving a lotus is more thrilling than sex.
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 01:13 PM   #82
ChrisV
The Big Meaney
 
ChrisV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: People's Republic of Maryland
Posts: 3,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythias
In that quote he wasn't saying 12's weren't fast, he was saying with the right platform obtaining 12's is not as hard as it once was.

He said...

Quote:
Oh and yes I belive a 12.1 is slow

Therefore he said 12's aren't fast. Jesus, you don't even have to remember what is said, it's right there in glowing pixels.

He said 12.1 isn't fast. The vast majority of cars on the road can't come close, therefore my comment stands.

A Pinto can run 12s for about $1500 in parts, That isn't the effin point. As Grassroots Motorsports showed, guys can build 11 second ddrag cars that turn for under $2k including price of the car, from pretty much ANY platform, thus HIS statement is meaningless. Either way, 12s are still fast.
__________________
I'm not mean. You're just a wuss.



www.midatlantic7s.com

Last edited by ChrisV : 11-24-2006 at 01:16 PM.
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 01:13 AM   #83
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire
 
Pythias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ohio, U.S.
Posts: 1,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
He said...



Therefore he said 12's aren't fast. Jesus, you don't even have to remember what is said, it's right there in glowing pixels.

He said 12.1 isn't fast. The vast majority of cars on the road can't come close, therefore my comment stands.

A Pinto can run 12s for about $1500 in parts, That isn't the effin point. As Grassroots Motorsports showed, guys can build 11 second ddrag cars that turn for under $2k including price of the car, from pretty much ANY platform, thus HIS statement is meaningless. Either way, 12s are still fast.

In that quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enthusiast
Bronxie now-a-days its really not all that hard to run in the 12s if you have a decent platform to begin with.

As in, in that quote,(the one You quoted, remember?) he was not saying 12's were not fast, if you are going to quote someone about something, quote the right thing. I don't think thats to hard to understand/do.
__________________
"Though I drive through the valley of rice,I shall fear no turbo for torque art with me. Thy rod and piston, they comfort me."

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 06:44 AM   #84
HiLandR
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Kansas City, Missouri
Posts: 37
Drama = Oprah
Cars = CarForums


It would be cool if we kept on the bottom side of the line above!
__________________

~~~ H O R S E P O W E R L U N C H ~~~ founder!
HiLandR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 07:03 AM   #85
Bronxie
Dont know crap about cars
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Westchester Co., NY
Posts: 1,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiLandR
Drama = Oprah
Cars = CarForums


It would be cool if we kept on the bottom side of the line above!

Hey man, cars is a sensitive issue!
__________________


Driving a lotus is more thrilling than sex.
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 11:27 PM   #86
newyorker
MXman
 
newyorker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,291
Wow im late

2001
Honda
Civic
LX

1.7L
4-cylinder
5-speed standard

"JDM" shift knob
IKON split 5 spoke wheels with polished lip
205 40 17 Wanli (i think) Z rated tires
13in steelies for wintertime
REVO Short Shifter
Python 640HP alarm
SONY 310 deck

Coming soon:
SPOON SPORTS shift boot
Fake XENON headlights (just bulbs)
Intake
Strut bars (cause I finally convinced my dad to let me work on my car and he thought they looked cool)
Powdercoat valve cover (anodized blue)
Eibach (i) lowering springs
Alignment (should be on top of the list)
RSX Sway bars
RSX Injectors
Ported intake mani
Bigger TB
Header
Test-pipe
2.5in exhaust
N1 muffler.
__________________
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 03:53 AM   #87
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire
 
DSMer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
Wow im late

2001
Honda
Civic
LX

1.7L
4-cylinder
5-speed standard

"JDM" shift knob
IKON split 5 spoke wheels with polished lip
205 40 17 Wanli (i think) Z rated tires
13in steelies for wintertime
REVO Short Shifter
Python 640HP alarm
SONY 310 deck

Coming soon:
SPOON SPORTS shift boot
Fake XENON headlights (just bulbs)
Intake
Strut bars (cause I finally convinced my dad to let me work on my car and he thought they looked cool)
Powdercoat valve cover (anodized blue)
Eibach (i) lowering springs
Alignment (should be on top of the list)
RSX Sway bars
RSX Injectors
Ported intake mani
Bigger TB
Header
Test-pipe
2.5in exhaust
N1 muffler.

For a second I thought you were serving some chicken with all of that rice.
__________________

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 05:15 AM   #88
Andrew0261
CF Enthusiast
 
Andrew0261's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 212
im late to!!! lol
1990 Ford Mustang
1998 Ford Mustang Cov.
1985 Corvette
Andrew0261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 09:05 AM   #89
newyorker
MXman
 
newyorker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
For a second I thought you were serving some chicken with all of that rice.
At least I dont need to worry about shit breaking in my car. The top part is looks, the bottom part is performance. Just because your car supposedly runs under 10 in the 1/4 doesnt mean you need to bag everyone elses shit.
__________________
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 05:36 PM   #90
Bronxie
Dont know crap about cars
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Westchester Co., NY
Posts: 1,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
For a second I thought you were serving some chicken with all of that rice.

OWNED

And I bought a 2006 porsche boxster yesterday. Gonna pick it up tomorrow at 4:30 and take pics tuesday.
__________________


Driving a lotus is more thrilling than sex.
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:04 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.