Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2006, 05:38 PM   #91
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxie
OWNED

And I bought a 2006 porsche boxster yesterday. Gonna pick it up tomorrow at 4:30 and take pics tuesday.
Congrats!! Can't wait for pics lol.
Old 11-26-2006, 05:38 PM   #92
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
OWNED

And I bought a 2006 porsche boxster yesterday. Gonna pick it up tomorrow at 4:30 and take pics tuesday.
Maybe he doesnt realize that it costs about 800 dollars to make a DSM faster, and about 3000 to do the same to a civic (especialy mine that is all regulated and limited)

For christs sake the ignition is electric..there is no distributor...I cant even work on my ignition system.
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 05:40 PM   #93
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
At least I dont need to worry about shit breaking in my car. The top part is looks, the bottom part is performance. Just because your car supposedly runs under 10 in the 1/4 doesnt mean you need to bag everyone elses shit.

I don't own a car that runs 10's, but when I did own one that did run fast I can assure you it didn't get there with "spoon shift boots" or "JDM shift knobs". Sure you do need to worry about things breaking in your car. They are not all built to work forever. Thats statement is very biased and based off any lack of real thought.

I guess using your revelation everyone should drive a Honda Civic because you'll NEVER have to worry about anything breaking on it. Yeah Nice!

Quote:
Maybe he doesnt realize that it costs about 800 dollars to make a DSM faster, and about 3000 to do the same to a civic (especialy mine that is all regulated and limited)

Or maybe I've owned a Honda or quite possibly worked on a quite a few of them and I know what 3000 can do to a Civic if properly spent on all performance. Look don't start this... I don't need to reiterate to you what I know and can do. Don't be inept, just because I like DSM's does NOT mean I have limited knowledge on a lot of other imports. I mean its not like I've spent the last 3 year of my life dedicated to learning how to engineer them or anything...

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...

Last edited by DSMer : 11-26-2006 at 05:45 PM.
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 05:40 PM   #94
Bronxie
Dont know crap about cars

Quote:

For christs sake the ignition is electric..there is no distributor...I cant even work on my ignition system.
Maybe this is a bad question but what is a dsm exactly? :x

Driving a lotus is more thrilling than sex.
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 05:47 PM   #95
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Maybe this is a bad question but what is a dsm exactly? :x

Check out that link

DSM

If you have any further questions I'd be more than happy to tell you.

Old 11-26-2006, 07:39 PM   #96
smallangryneon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enthusiast
Sorry a 12.1 may be fast to you but it really isnt to me, same thing as the kid who thinks a 200hp neon is fast, I dont. Some poele think Evos and STi or even a Civic is fast, I dont. Its called personal opinion. Ive become numb to 11 and 12 sec cars in my life time.
Isn't that special. Well, maybe a rich asshole like you can afford to drive a Viper, but the rest of us have to take horsepower where we can get it. And let me tell you, I have toasted some people who laughed at my Neon and wiped the smirks right off their f*cking faces.
I think there's more glory in taking a normal car and working your ass off to get horsepower out of it then just buying a mustang and being fast in the first place.
smallangryneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 07:51 PM   #97
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
I don't own a car that runs 10's, but when I did own one that did run fast I can assure you it didn't get there with "spoon shift boots" or "JDM shift knobs". Sure you do need to worry about things breaking in your car. They are not all built to work forever. Thats statement is very biased and based off any lack of real thought.

I guess using your revelation everyone should drive a Honda Civic because you'll NEVER have to worry about anything breaking on it. Yeah Nice!

Or maybe I've owned a Honda or quite possibly worked on a quite a few of them and I know what 3000 can do to a Civic if properly spent on all performance. Look don't start this... I don't need to reiterate to you what I know and can do. Don't be inept, just because I like DSM's does NOT mean I have limited knowledge on a lot of other imports. I mean its not like I've spent the last 3 year of my life dedicated to learning how to engineer them or anything...
I didnt say there was anything wrong with liking the DSM. Its that anti-honda attitude you had in your other post.

Old 11-26-2006, 07:52 PM   #98
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallangryneon
Isn't that special. Well, maybe a rich asshole like you can afford to drive a Viper, but the rest of us have to take horsepower where we can get it. And let me tell you, I have toasted some people who laughed at my Neon and wiped the smirks right off their f*cking faces.
I think there's more glory in taking a normal car and working your ass off to get horsepower out of it then just buying a mustang and being fast in the first place.
Is your neon automatic or manual? I know some ways you can jump the power in that thing very significantly

Old 11-26-2006, 07:57 PM   #99
smallangryneon
Banned

Quote:
Is your neon automatic or manual? I know some ways you can jump the power in that thing very significantly
It's an auto. And it's transmission sucks. I don't know if you've ever driven one, but Dodge put a 3-speed transmission in those cars and it's about the most worthless peice of shit tranny as far as speed goes that you will ever find.
Any tips on getting more power would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:14 PM   #100
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
It's an auto. And it's transmission sucks. I don't know if you've ever driven one, but Dodge put a 3-speed transmission in those cars and it's about the most worthless peice of shit tranny as far as speed goes that you will ever find.
Any tips on getting more power would be greatly appreciated.
I owned a 3-speed neon lol

Automatic there is not much you can really do except for a ghetto intake (actually works well), and work on the exhaust and intake systems, and then build the motor. With manual, there are more parts available.

www.modernperformance.com

They have stuff for your car

Old 11-26-2006, 08:17 PM   #101
smallangryneon
Banned

Quote:
I owned a 3-speed neon lol

Automatic there is not much you can really do except for a ghetto intake (actually works well), and work on the exhaust and intake systems, and then build the motor. With manual, there are more parts available.

www.modernperformance.com

They have stuff for your car

Thanks!
Old 11-26-2006, 08:30 PM   #102
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Thanks!
NP. PM me with any questions you have.

The DIY for the intake is here

http://neontuners.com/viewtopic.php?t=1555

Old 11-26-2006, 09:02 PM   #103
Bronxie
Dont know crap about cars

SO a dsm is a mitsubishi that's tuned by "Dsm"?

Driving a lotus is more thrilling than sex.
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 09:21 PM   #104
HiLandR
CF Newbie

DSM = Diamond Star Motors. Eagle Talon progressed to Mitsubishi Eclipse.

~~~ H O R S E P O W E R L U N C H ~~~ founder!
HiLandR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 04:58 AM   #105
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiLandR
DSM = Diamond Star Motors. Eagle Talon progressed to Mitsubishi Eclipse.

Not quite. DSM, or Diamond Star Motors, was simply a collaboration between Chrysler, Eagle, and Mitsubishi in the late 80's. The Chrysler logo is a star and Mitsubishi's is a group of diamonds; hence the expression Diamond Star Motors.

It started with the Plymouth Laser, Eagle Talon, and Mitsubishi Eclipse in 89. They were 3 structurally identical vehicles that used the same Mitsubishi engine for the top model. The 4G63T. Its is undoubtedly one of the strongest 4-cylinders still in production today. It was a 2.0L, twin cam, turbocharged, solid block that put out 195HP.

The top models of the Laser, Talon, and Eclipse were AWD and came equipped with either a 5-speed manual transmission or an automatic. You'll notice a lot of cars that are similar between the 3 companies. For instance the Dodge Stealth and Mitsubishi 3000GT. Or you can look at the interior of a Dodge Avenger as compared to that of a 95-99 Eclipse or 95-98 Talon.

A lot of parts were used between the 3 companies, but since the Laser, Talon, and Eclipse were all pretty much the same car people commonly called them DSM's. Its just a way to simply all of them into one category. The factory was located in Normal, Illinois and although a few of the other makes shared parts only these three cars that were made in Normal are considered to be DSM's.

You'll commonly hear 1g or 2g when referring to a DSM and that is because there are two different generations of them. 1g referring to the 89-94 generation and the 2g referring to the 95-99 generation.

They mainly get their reputation from their strong motors and AWD drivetrain. Most of them run 13's-14's stock, but with the massive aftermarket and consumer dedication for them so they are easy to work with and get some impressive times out of them. When I had my 92 1G I was running 12's with about $3K of mods. I was 16 at the time and didn't know as much as I do now which just goes to prove how easy it is to work with the cars.