Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2006, 04:54 PM   #1
Cliffy
CF Loafer

White van man reputation to be cleared?

Here in the UK our van drivers have something of a bad reputation attatched to them, mainly due to the manner in which they drive. Alot of the time it's Couriers (sorry, True_Brit) that whiz around busy town centres at break neck speeds, to get their deliveries completed in time. This could be set to change though, I've just read an article in this weeks Auto Express magazine that says any vehicle weighing in at 3.5-tonnes or more will have to have a speed restrictor fitted, restricting their speed to 56mph. This will mean that LWB favourites used by courier firms, such as the Mercedes Sprinter and Ford Transit will have to be fitted with the device. It's going to be the law, too, so companies will HVAE to have them fitted if they aren't already!

I do feel sorry for the drivers of such vans because 56mph is the same restriction forced upon lorries, so long motorway journies are set to become even longer, and lorries are going to be even more difficult to overtake! It's a good thing as far as short comutes are concerned, however, I'm guessing these vehicles will be subject to the lower national speed limit of 40mph for single carriageways, 50mph for dual carriageways, or 60mph for motorways (or 56mph I'm guessing). At present any commercial vehicle not exceeding 7.5-tonnes is able to do the following speeds, 50mph national single carriageway speed, 60mph dual carriageways, or 70mph on motorways.

Could this be the road to a more carefull white van man?

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48

Last edited by Cliffy : 11-22-2006 at 05:54 PM.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 08:00 PM   #2
fudge
let's fighting love

White van man are more stereotyped as shouting words out of their windows rather than driving at breakneck speeds. 56mph won't slow them down at all if they are based around towns.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:28 PM   #3
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Around here, "white van men" are the guys that sell suspect stereo gear, like speakers, out of the back of their vans in parking lots...

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 08:56 PM   #4
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Does that mean that vans made before the law was passed will be limited too?

That sucks for the drivers, but would it really help? Like do drivers really go past 56MPH downtown? lol.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:01 PM   #5
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

For some reason vans are associated with child rapists around here.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 10:06 PM   #6
chris_knows
๑۩۞

I associate vans with the FBI/government spies
Old 11-22-2006, 11:40 PM   #7
True_Brit
Has a new job!

personally (you may know why cliffy!) i dont think it will work at all!!!!!
all the drivers in our depot (50 in total) did their delivery rounds abiding the law by sticking to the speed limit etc and (although not to bad in the city itself) driving all the way down to cornwall etc didnt do to well with the drivers schedule, also, what you may or may not know, is that vehicles below 7.5t may also be fitted with a tachograph to ensure drivers do their time and not exceed it!
to me, its just bullsh1t

www.myspace.com/jhn123
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
........Greek warrior cant reply because hes probably beating it like it owes him money.
True_Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 12:20 AM   #8
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge
White van man are more stereotyped as shouting words out of their windows rather than driving at breakneck speeds. 56mph won't slow them down at all if they are based around towns.
I agree to an extent, but couriers don't only drive around town, they also venture out occassionally. I do think that their driving is erratic at times, not through speed, but generally!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie
personally (you may know why cliffy!) i dont think it will work at all!!!!!
all the drivers in our depot (50 in total) did their delivery rounds abiding the law by sticking to the speed limit etc and (although not to bad in the city itself) driving all the way down to cornwall etc didnt do to well with the drivers schedule, also, what you may or may not know, is that vehicles below 7.5t may also be fitted with a tachograph to ensure drivers do their time and not exceed it!
to me, its just bullsh1t
I didn't know about lighter vehicles being tacho'd, but I see how it could work. I also think that sticking to the speed limit might be easier in that part of the world due to the rising number of speed cameras!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Old 11-23-2006, 02:12 AM   #9
Bronxie
Dont know crap about cars

56mph is just too slow. I can see 70 or 75. Not 56. Then again it depends on what the speed limits generally are on the highways there.

Driving a lotus is more thrilling than sex.
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 02:57 AM   #10
True_Brit
Has a new job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
I agree to an extent, but couriers don't only drive around town, they also venture out occassionally. I do think that their driving is erratic at times, not through speed, but generally!

I didn't know about lighter vehicles being tacho'd, but I see how it could work. I also think that sticking to the speed limit might be easier in that part of the world due to the rising number of speed cameras!
it wont work, our drivers wont be able to finish their rounds on time!
the drivers go out 7:30am and have to be finished by 5:30pm, may sound easy, but when they have to cover large distances etc and their rounds are big, open spaces, they cant afford to keep stopping now and then (they dont even take 1hr lunch) due to new laws, especially coming up to xmas, its getting busier already!!!

www.myspace.com/jhn123
Quote:
........Greek warrior cant reply because hes probably beating it like it owes him money.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:48 AM   #11
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Brit
it wont work, our drivers wont be able to finish their rounds on time!
the drivers go out 7:30am and have to be finished by 5:30pm, may sound easy, but when they have to cover large distances etc and their rounds are big, open spaces, they cant afford to keep stopping now and then (they dont even take 1hr lunch) due to new laws, especially coming up to xmas, its getting busier already!!!
Sorry to say this...but the Government doesn't care if the couriers don't finish their rounds on time, it's not their problem. If they ignor the rule, it's either going to be the company or the drivers that foots the bill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK
Does that mean that vans made before the law was passed will be limited too?
As far as I'm aware, all vans will have to have them fitted, regardless of year. So if an old van doesn't have one, the company or driver has to ensure that the device is fitted!

Old 11-24-2006, 12:50 AM   #12
True_Brit
Has a new job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Sorry to say this...but the Government doesn't care if the couriers don't finish their rounds on time, it's not their problem. If they ignor the rule, it's either going to be the company or the drivers that foots the bill!

As far as I'm aware, all vans will have to have them fitted, regardless of year. So if an old van doesn't have one, the company or driver has to ensure that the device is fitted!
im just putting in a point, oh well, im not a delivery driver my self (too young) so ive got nothing to worry yet!

www.myspace.com/jhn123
Quote:
Old 11-24-2006, 12:52 AM   #13
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Brit
im just putting in a point, oh well, im not a delivery driver my self (too young) so ive got nothing to worry yet!
Also, it's up to the firm to lower certain targets, so at an educted guess, I'll say the drivers have nothing to worry about either!

Old 11-24-2006, 03:30 AM   #14
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
Around here, "white van men" are the guys that sell suspect stereo gear, like speakers, out of the back of their vans in parking lots...

Yeah, my uh, boss says that since we got more than we ordered, uh, i can do whatever i want with it. So, uh, how much money could you give me for these $3200 speakers?

These people usually are in old Caravans around here.
Old 11-27-2006, 05:39 PM   #15
Amilo
CF Newbie

I wonder what time white van man will be dropping off parcels this xmas in my part of the uk.

Last year I had a parcel delivered at 5.40am.