Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2004, 10:00 PM   #1
bdalton
CF Newbie

Amplifier advice

Im installing a mid level system in my 2000 ford ranger. I already have a truck box and a 10'' mtx 6000 subwoofer. I really dont know alot about sound systems and was looking for some advice on a good mid range amplifier for this setup. Thanks.
bdalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 11:23 PM   #2
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Not that no one will have an answer from here, but maybe a car audio forum would be a better place to find answers...

Welcome nonetheless!

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 11:26 PM   #3
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianWheels
Not that no one will have an answer from here, but maybe a car audio forum would be a better place to find answers...

Welcome nonetheless!
I bet there will be alot of answers. The question is will any of them be useful. I know in this case I can't be so all I can do is wish him good luck.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 12:37 AM   #4
GhettoTaurus
CF Newbie

Hey, just your luck, i happen to be a car-audio enthusiast

A car audio forum would be great, the one i go to, which is a GREAT forum, is www.realcaraudio.com
Excellent!

Anywho, to answer your question, the specs for your sub are (correct me if im wrong)
4 ohm voice coil
250 RMS power handeling

So, in this case you'll want any amp that puts out 250 watts at 4 ohms. Most amps have max output at 2 ohms, but if you have a 2 channel amp, you can bridge (combine 2 channels) it to have a single bridged channel, and most 2 channel amps get max power at 4 ohms bridged. So you'll probably want to get an amp that puts out 250 watts at 4 ohms bridged. Watch out! there are MANY amps out there that lie about their power output. also, it is not in any way neccisary to have your sub and amp be the same brand (despite what some people say)

The amp I found that would best suit you is:

$109 Phoenix Gold R2.5:2 (250 X 1 @ 4 ohms bridged)
Phoenix Gold is a VERY good company, i got this from www.onlinecarstereo.com, which has free shipping, so the actual price is $109

this seems to be the cheapest good amp to put out what you need. 109 is a VERY good price for an amp, especially phoenix gold. I couldn't find a cheaper quality amp, even on E-bay. And this one has a 1 year factory warrenty on it.

If you have any other car-audio related question, feel free to E-mail Hemi_Charger427@hotmail.com

Good luck!

Ghetto Power
GhettoTaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 05:39 PM   #5
bdalton
CF Newbie

Thanks for the warm welcome guys, and big ups to GhettoTaurus. Thats exactly the advice I was looking for. I appreciate it a ton.
bdalton is offline   Reply With Quote