Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2006, 06:51 AM   #1
nate wesselink
CF Newbie

advice on a good car for under 2500

im lookin for a car that i can modify for racing but still be street legal im lookin for a front wheel drive car most of the cars ive looked at have over 180000 miles and engine problems so any advice would be great
Old 11-27-2006, 12:22 AM   #2
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Just an observation here...but you seem to be looking for a hell of a lot of cars....

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 01:27 AM   #3
nate wesselink
CF Newbie

really im only looking for one car but i want to find one that will last me more than 10 years and one that i can customise for my style of driving so any info would be great
Old 11-27-2006, 02:25 AM   #4
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

Seriously, check out Probe GTs. They're one of the few cars with balls for under 2500 in decent condition.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:46 AM   #5
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate wesselink
really im only looking for one car but i want to find one that will last me more than 10 years and one that i can customise for my style of driving so any info would be great
You've got to make compromises. You said in another post your limit was $2500. It's going to be hard to find a car that will be reliable for 10 years for that price, nevermind if you're going to be racing it. My votes for a Civic anyways.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 03:35 AM   #6
nate wesselink
CF Newbie

ive thought about getting a civic but around where i live therre are too many people here drive them and i want something that people dont see to often and that will turn heads and have people in awe when i get it fixed up so the civic is really nice but there a dime a dozen around here and i could get one right now for 1800 so there real common in AR and its not like im going to be racing oin a daily basis it might be a once a month drag strip thing i dont know yet
and on another note up north the probes where common but ive only seen a few sence ive moved id love to have one but i cant find one

Last edited by nate wesselink : 11-28-2006 at 03:39 AM.
nate wesselink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 07:51 PM   #7
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

You can find them on Probe forums really easily. Try Probetalk.com (not trying to advertise, just giving the kid some info), thats the most popular one. They have a good for sale section and localized boards. I used to be a member there back in the day. Civics are expensive for what they are. You'll end up paying all your money on a bad condition Civic with barely 100 base hp to work with. Civics can be good, but it takes a good deal of work.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:31 PM   #8
Bronxie
Dont know crap about cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate wesselink
ive thought about getting a civic but around where i live therre are too many people here drive them and i want something that people dont see to often and that will turn heads and have people in awe when i get it fixed up so the civic is really nice but there a dime a dozen around here and i could get one right now for 1800 so there real common in AR and its not like im going to be racing oin a daily basis it might be a once a month drag strip thing i dont know yet
and on another note up north the probes where common but ive only seen a few sence ive moved id love to have one but i cant find one

I can't think of anything that will last 10 years as a daily driver and will turn heads for 2500.

You can always rice up your civic, that will turn heads even when you're idling.

Driving a lotus is more thrilling than sex.
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 12:43 AM   #9
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

Another vote for the Probe GT or its brother a Mazda MX6 I believe not so sure on that though.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:51 AM   #10
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enthusiast
Another vote for the Probe GT or its brother a Mazda MX6 I believe not so sure on that though.

Yeah. MX6s have 1" smaller wheels(and a good deal thinner) and more comfortable suspension, but its also a little lighter.

1st gen Probe GTs are a little faster than the second gens, the kickass second gen 16" wheels can go on it, and its turbo stock. The 1st gens turbo is small, better suited for a lawn mower, but a T3 or even the Thunderbird turbo can be swapped for cheap and give it a real boost. Plus, the FE3 motor, either from Japan or from USDM Kia Sportage can make 500 hp easy. The 1st gens also dont have the pesky problem with transmissions blowing up at 350 horsepower, too.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:12 AM   #11
Bronxie
Dont know crap about cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacFan27
Yeah. MX6s have 1" smaller wheels(and a good deal thinner) and more comfortable suspension, but its also a little lighter.

1st gen Probe GTs are a little faster than the second gens, the kickass second gen 16" wheels can go on it, and its turbo stock. The 1st gens turbo is small, better suited for a lawn mower, but a T3 or even the Thunderbird turbo can be swapped for cheap and give it a real boost. Plus, the FE3 motor, either from Japan or from USDM Kia Sportage can make 500 hp easy. The 1st gens also dont have the pesky problem with transmissions blowing up at 350 horsepower, too.

Yeah my transmission blowing up is one of my biggest pet peeves.

Driving a lotus is more thrilling than sex.
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 07:30 PM   #12
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

Know how you feel about trannies blowin up. It was just an excuse for me to rebuild it with viper parts though.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:42 PM   #13
nate wesselink
CF Newbie

thanks guys and i know i want a car that when i modify it will turn heads and make people stare mouth agape. but thats after i put maybe 10gs in it you know and ill look at that site because i would like a probe gt but id settle for a regular probe as long as its not alien im good
Old 12-02-2006, 07:52 PM   #14
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxie
Yeah my transmission blowing up is one of my biggest pet peeves.

Unless you're some certified drag NHRA drag racer where you're going through 3 of them a week, I don't see how that can constitute as one of your "pet peeves".

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 01:53 AM   #15
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
Unless you're some certified drag NHRA drag racer where you're going through 3 of them a week, I don't see how that can constitute as one of your "pet peeves".

Pretty common in 2nd gen Probes, trust me.