Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2006, 11:34 PM   #1
azkid110
CF Enthusiast

Weird brake problem

1975 Pontiac catalina, 2bbl 400ci, TH400 trans, Disk front brakes, Drum rear brakes.

So yesterday I rebuilt my carburetor, and today I put it on and she started right up, she runs great and revs up like a bat out of hell, so that was a job well done.

Today I applied the emergency brake or parking brake, then pressed the regular foot brake and it went to the floor, but when I released the parking brake, the foot brake firms up and works fine. My dad says it probably needs to be bled, but I dont think he is correct. I think it's just normal, but aren't the emergency brake and the foot brake two different systems?

Thanks for any advice, or suggestions.
Joe
azkid110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 12:13 AM   #2
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by azkid110
1975 Pontiac catalina, 2bbl 400ci, TH400 trans, Disk front brakes, Drum rear brakes.

So yesterday I rebuilt my carburetor, and today I put it on and she started right up, she runs great and revs up like a bat out of hell, so that was a job well done.

Today I applied the emergency brake or parking brake, then pressed the regular foot brake and it went to the floor, but when I released the parking brake, the foot brake firms up and works fine. My dad says it probably needs to be bled, but I dont think he is correct. I think it's just normal, but aren't the emergency brake and the foot brake two different systems?

Thanks for any advice, or suggestions.
Joe
The e-brake...or handbrake/foot handbrake lol, is operated by a cable and seeing as your car has drum rear brakes it'll use the same shoes as the main brakes use (some cars with disc rear brakes have seperate handbrake drum/shoe setup). It shouldn't really make any difference how the pedal feels when the handbrake is applied....atleast not a notable difference anyway!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 01:39 AM   #3
Wally
I Know More Than You

Checked the brake fluid level lately? Checked the shoes lately? The automatic adjuster may not have taken up the slack on the worn shoes...try doing a few reverse, brake, reverse, brake,...
Old 11-27-2006, 08:57 PM   #4
azkid110
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
Checked the brake fluid level lately? Checked the shoes lately? The automatic adjuster may not have taken up the slack on the worn shoes...try doing a few reverse, brake, reverse, brake,...

Yeah, there is plenty of fluid in the master cylinder. I dont know what you mean by doing a reverse, brake, reverse, brake... do you want me to go in reverse and apply the brakes? The pads, shoes, etc... are not new, and probably do need to be replaced, I am not going to be able to that done for awile, but I do plan on it

are there any other things that could be causing this?

do you think this is a big problem that is really important or can I let it slide for now?
Old 11-28-2006, 05:07 AM   #5
Wally
I Know More Than You

What can happen, is the slave cylinders don't wind out as the shoes wear. So when you apply the handbrake the slaves end up with a big gap between the pistons and the shoes. When you apply the foot brake the bias is well and truely towards the back cylinders and you get that sinking pedal.

The danger is that while the handbrake is on, the slave pistons rotate and no longer engage with the shoes.... that and the fact that even if they stay engaged, your normal braking is biased towards the front, with very little rear grab.

By reversing and braking the slave cylinder nuts should wind out and adjust the shoes up against the drums.

Last edited by Wally : 11-28-2006 at 05:09 AM.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 12:57 PM   #6
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

what's likely happened is that you have no rear adjustment, the adjusters are rusted solid, and what you are doing is artificially adding adjustment to the rear brakes by engaging the parking brake and taking up the slack. take the back drums off, clean and adjust the adjusters and tell us what kind of pedal you have then...

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 09:03 PM   #7
azkid110
CF Enthusiast

Wally if I could I would but currently I cannot move the car, the last time I drove it around the neighborhood the neighbors had a cow and called the cops, so the car hasn't moved in about a year and it probably wont until late december or early next year.

dodger65, if all goes to plan, I will be doing the brakes either this weekend or the next, and I will look at the adjusters.

But if this helps ever sence I had the emergency brake on, the e-brake light hasn't turned off, but the e-brake isn't engaged... I'm pretty sure I have enough fluid, but the car isn't on level ground, should I bleed them and see if that helps?

Anyways thanks for the advice guys!