Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2006, 02:14 AM   #16
Bronxie
Dont know crap about cars
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Westchester Co., NY
Posts: 1,386
I was at this police station in Massachusetts and I heard the cop on the radio saying, "We got a kid misbehaving on the bus" and repeated some police code.

I was like wow get something better to do.
__________________


Driving a lotus is more thrilling than sex.
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 02:26 AM   #17
chillin92386
CF Newbie
 
chillin92386's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 17
all the comments about radar detectors sucking kinda suprise me. I don't know, maybe i just have good luck with mine or cops just don't care enough to pull me over (i usually do only about 10 over on normal driving anyway so it's easy to slow down). but sometimes it really at least i think helped me avoid tickets.
although we dont have too many speed traps with the cops hiding and pointing their radar guns, usually they are just driving around in their car and occaisonally have their radar on.
chillin92386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 02:38 AM   #18
True_Brit
Has a new job!
 
True_Brit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Falmouth, Backward County, UK
Posts: 2,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillin92386
all the comments about radar detectors sucking kinda suprise me. I don't know, maybe i just have good luck with mine or cops just don't care enough to pull me over (i usually do only about 10 over on normal driving anyway so it's easy to slow down). but sometimes it really at least i think helped me avoid tickets.
although we dont have too many speed traps with the cops hiding and pointing their radar guns, usually they are just driving around in their car and occaisonally have their radar on.
well, youd be caught in the uk, the highest you can go is apparently 5mph over!
ill give you a tip on the GATSO Speed cameras, when your driving (from behind it so if your speeding, itll catch the back of you),,look for two little holes in the top left and right corners, if you see two holes, the camera is on, if you dont see them, its off,,, the reason is, the litte holes vent air and let out the heat from the camera flash etc!
i know this because the courier firm i work for have a contract with a firm that make these in the uk! (theres no suprise that these get damaged after repair)
__________________

www.myspace.com/jhn123
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
........Greek warrior cant reply because hes probably beating it like it owes him money.
True_Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 02:49 AM   #19
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire
 
Pythias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ohio, U.S.
Posts: 1,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxie
Radar detectors suck. It's only picking up the radar if the cop is using their radar against you or someone near you, and if they're using it against you, you're not gonna have any time to slow down because you can't slow down faster than infrared light travels. If its someone near you, you probably won't get pulled over anyways because you'll see the cop or the person will get pulled over.

There might be some advanced systems out there but I doubt it.

If they were totally worthless... none would have them. Yes they do work, and yes you will have time to slow down depending on some variables (your reaction time being one of them) They have saved my friends on many occasions while I was riding with them. Countless times, meaning I have been in the car and the radar detector has gone off and then we slow down and not long after we see a cop, this has prolly happend in excess of 25 times. Happens alot in cities. I will have one once I purchase my next car. No need for one now as I am driving something that I don't speed at all in.... cruise control 55mph.

Also just the other day a friend and I were driving to the movie theater around 1:00 in his Honda S2000 going right around 80 and his detector went off, he immediately slowed down, not but maybe 10 seconds afterward we see 2 cops just sittin in the median on 301 between the highway, they were just sitting there in broad day light clocking people, the position where they were though they were kind of in a dip in the highway, where as we had NO chance of slowing down fast enough once we came upon them.

Radar detectors work, and they can/will save you if you can react fast enough. In the city some times they are a PITA because of all the automatic doors and such and sometimes banks, different things will set off different things, but all in all DEFINTELY worth it.
__________________
"Though I drive through the valley of rice,I shall fear no turbo for torque art with me. Thy rod and piston, they comfort me."

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 03:00 AM   #20
True_Brit
Has a new job!
 
True_Brit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Falmouth, Backward County, UK
Posts: 2,432
theres this new system where i live where its featured in a tunnel, theres 2 cameras at either end of it, they time how long it takes for you to get from one end to the other! if your quicker than a set time in its system, your obviously going faster than you should (the speed limit is 30mph) but these camera dont flash when you speed!!!
http://www.omeras.de/omeras/images/r...el.450x338.jpg
__________________

www.myspace.com/jhn123
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
........Greek warrior cant reply because hes probably beating it like it owes him money.
True_Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 12:22 PM   #21
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Brit
theres this new system where i live where its featured in a tunnel, theres 2 cameras at either end of it, they time how long it takes for you to get from one end to the other! if your quicker than a set time in its system, your obviously going faster than you should (the speed limit is 30mph) but these camera dont flash when you speed!!!
http://www.omeras.de/omeras/images/r...el.450x338.jpg
It must be a West Country thing, as there's a similar system on the M4 between Reading and Swindon I believe. I'm not sure if it works everywhere, but the was a Gatso in London aimed at clocking motorists going in to the city, but if you sped past coming out, it would flash....strange, especially considering it's on the opposite side of the road, lol.
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 03:34 AM   #22
True_Brit
Has a new job!
 
True_Brit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Falmouth, Backward County, UK
Posts: 2,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
It must be a West Country thing, as there's a similar system on the M4 between Reading and Swindon I believe. I'm not sure if it works everywhere, but the was a Gatso in London aimed at clocking motorists going in to the city, but if you sped past coming out, it would flash....strange, especially considering it's on the opposite side of the road, lol.
aint gatso's only meant to take a picture of the back of the car???
it gets confusing when, on a dual carriageway, you go by a camera beside a car doing near enough the same as you and the camera flashes!
have you heard what started the gatso thing?
__________________

www.myspace.com/jhn123
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
........Greek warrior cant reply because hes probably beating it like it owes him money.
True_Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 06:07 AM   #23
chris_knows
๑۩۞
 
chris_knows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada Status:Trying to find my ish
Posts: 7,630
There was one radar detector that would also jam the signal for 5 seconds...I saw it in Sport Compact Car and sent a couple of e-mails to the guy about it. I'll look around for it tomorrow.
__________________
chris_knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 12:08 AM   #24
True_Brit
Has a new job!
 
True_Brit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Falmouth, Backward County, UK
Posts: 2,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
There was one radar detector that would also jam the signal for 5 seconds...I saw it in Sport Compact Car and sent a couple of e-mails to the guy about it. I'll look around for it tomorrow.
5secs aint good unless you have a supercar!!!
__________________

www.myspace.com/jhn123
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
........Greek warrior cant reply because hes probably beating it like it owes him money.
True_Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 12:25 AM   #25
chris_knows
๑۩۞
 
chris_knows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada Status:Trying to find my ish
Posts: 7,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Brit
5secs aint good unless you have a supercar!!!
Well, you probably wouldn't be going more than 20 over the limit, so over 5 seconds, 20 mph isn't that much if you react fast enough.

Found the magazine...Lidatek LE-30. It sends additional signals out for the radar to process for 5 seconds. It then automatically shuts itself down to avoid further suspicion.

The website's lidatek.com if anyone wants more info.
__________________
chris_knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 01:01 AM   #26
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Brit
aint gatso's only meant to take a picture of the back of the car???
it gets confusing when, on a dual carriageway, you go by a camera beside a car doing near enough the same as you and the camera flashes!
have you heard what started the gatso thing?
Yes, it sets off the camera on the oposite site of the road, hence taking a pic of another car. It wouldn't register as that car it takes th picture of is speeding though, it'll just give the driver a fright and a few sleepless nights, lol. No I haven't heard what started the Gatso thing....By the way, in London there's forward facing Gatso's that take pics of the front of the vehicles, aimed at catching drivers' faces!
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 01:08 AM   #27
True_Brit
Has a new job!
 
True_Brit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Falmouth, Backward County, UK
Posts: 2,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Yes, it sets off the camera on the oposite site of the road, hence taking a pic of another car. It wouldn't register as that car it takes th picture of is speeding though, it'll just give the driver a fright and a few sleepless nights, lol. No I haven't heard what started the Gatso thing....By the way, in London there's forward facing Gatso's that take pics of the front of the vehicles, aimed at catching drivers' faces!
the first gatso was designed and built by a scandinavian rally driver to help him with his practices! he designed it to see how fast he would be driving round a corner, straight etc for times but the GATSO as we know it, was produced for the road by the americans! like roundabouts, that was an american design!
__________________

www.myspace.com/jhn123
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
........Greek warrior cant reply because hes probably beating it like it owes him money.
True_Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 01:38 AM   #28
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Brit
the first gatso was designed and built by a scandinavian rally driver to help him with his practices! he designed it to see how fast he would be driving round a corner, straight etc for times but the GATSO as we know it, was produced for the road by the americans! like roundabouts, that was an american design!
So is GATSO na acronym?
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 11:28 PM   #29
True_Brit
Has a new job!
 
True_Brit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Falmouth, Backward County, UK
Posts: 2,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
So is GATSO na acronym?
GATSO is who make it now, Gatsometer BV!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GATSO

but these are my favourite speed cameras, theyr known as 'vandalised'
__________________

www.myspace.com/jhn123
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
........Greek warrior cant reply because hes probably beating it like it owes him money.
True_Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 01:56 PM   #30
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Brit
GATSO is who make it now, Gatsometer BV!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GATSO

but these are my favourite speed cameras, theyr known as 'vandalised'
I see *learns*

I like those cameras, too!
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.