Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2006, 10:39 PM   #1
01civicEX_Curt
CF Newbie
 
01civicEX_Curt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Middle, Georgia
Posts: 1
Question 01 Honda Civic EX; Intake ?

I was looking around ebay for a cool air intake for my newly purchased 01 honda civic ex. Has anyone had exp. purchasing intakes from ebay? I guess what im asking is, are they reliable, quality products?
__________________
-----------------------------------------------
William Curtis Lucas
2001 Honda Civic EX
Central Georgia
-----------------------------------------------
If you wanna meet-up, just send me a message.
01civicEX_Curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 10:52 PM   #2
chris_knows
๑۩۞
 
chris_knows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada Status:Trying to find my ish
Posts: 7,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01civicEX_Curt
I was looking around ebay for a cool air intake for my newly purchased 01 honda civic ex. Has anyone had exp. purchasing intakes from ebay? I guess what im asking is, are they reliable, quality products?
It depends on who you buy from and on the intake itself. There are some fake ones that don't benefit your engine, but others that do...Just check the feedback people have given.
__________________
chris_knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 07:17 PM   #3
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire
 
DSMer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
It depends on who you buy from and on the intake itself. There are some fake ones that don't benefit your engine, but others that do...Just check the feedback people have given.

I don't understand how you can have a "fake" intake. The ones you get off eBay will be fine. Its essentially a pipe with with an air filter on it. You could pay $200 for a shiny AEM unit that boast performance numbers or you can buy the same thing for about $40 thats just as shiny and get a nice K&N filter for $20.

Read this and that should sum it up.
__________________

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...

Last edited by DSMer : 12-08-2006 at 07:25 PM.
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 09:12 PM   #4
chris_knows
๑۩۞
 
chris_knows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada Status:Trying to find my ish
Posts: 7,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
I don't understand how you can have a "fake" intake. The ones you get off eBay will be fine. Its essentially a pipe with with an air filter on it. You could pay $200 for a shiny AEM unit that boast performance numbers or you can buy the same thing for about $40 thats just as shiny and get a nice K&N filter for $20.

Read this and that should sum it up.
Not a fake intake, but one that won't benefit the engine...Like this one...

I don't think this (CAI):


or this:



Will give any more power than this (OEM):
__________________
chris_knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 10:06 PM   #5
V-Tec
CF's student post whore
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
Not a fake intake, but one that won't benefit the engine...Like this one...

I don't think this (CAI):


or this:



Will give any more power than this (OEM):
Those will do the same thing others will do... Its better than stock. But its really not a big deal. If u wanted to u can get a pipe from home depot, bend it, add a filter and you would have an intake. All do the same thing, dont waste money on name brand intakes.Some of the auctions include good air filters but most dont. When i bought mine, i got a good air filter. ( not the paper ones) I was going to get the K&N one but this one is just as good.

Also decide between Cold Air intake or Short Ram intake... If you choose CAI, make sure not to get any water in it. There was a lot of rain one night, and one of my friends with an s2000 got some rain in the CAI...that hydrolocked the engine.
__________________
I always tell the truth,
even when i lie

Last edited by V-Tec : 12-08-2006 at 10:10 PM.
V-Tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 01:04 AM   #6
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire
 
Pythias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ohio, U.S.
Posts: 1,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
Not a fake intake, but one that won't benefit the engine...Like this one...

I don't think this (CAI):


or this:



Will give any more power than this (OEM):

Then maybe you're better off not thinking.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
__________________
"Though I drive through the valley of rice,I shall fear no turbo for torque art with me. Thy rod and piston, they comfort me."

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 01:49 AM   #7
chris_knows
๑۩۞
 
chris_knows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada Status:Trying to find my ish
Posts: 7,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythias
Then maybe you're better off not thinking.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
In the stock intake, I think the filter is the most restrictive part...So a new K&N air filter on the stock intake should make more power than an entire CAI (Of the ones pictured above)...Right?
__________________
chris_knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 03:46 AM   #8
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire
 
Pythias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ohio, U.S.
Posts: 1,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
In the stock intake, I think the filter is the most restrictive part...So a new K&N air filter on the stock intake should make more power than an entire CAI (Of the ones pictured above)...Right?

Oh so you don't think that big black box COVERING the air filter isn't a restriction? Nor do you think the actualy stock intake tube itself not being totally straight restricts some amount of airflow as well?
__________________
"Though I drive through the valley of rice,I shall fear no turbo for torque art with me. Thy rod and piston, they comfort me."

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 04:36 AM   #9
chris_knows
๑۩۞
 
chris_knows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada Status:Trying to find my ish
Posts: 7,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythias
Oh so you don't think that big black box COVERING the air filter isn't a restriction? Nor do you think the actually stock intake tube itself not being totally straight restricts some amount of airflow as well?
I guess you're right...it just seems like that the CAI is more restrictive.
__________________
chris_knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 09:52 AM   #10
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire
 
DSMer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
I guess you're right...it just seems like that the CAI is more restrictive.

No he IS right. I just don't see where you would get the idea that a cold air intake is somehow more restrictive than a stock air unit?
__________________

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 01:54 PM   #11
chris_knows
๑۩۞
 
chris_knows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada Status:Trying to find my ish
Posts: 7,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
No he IS right. I just don't see where you would get the idea that a cold air intake is somehow more restrictive than a stock air unit?
I dunno, I thought there were some on eBay that did like loop-de-loops and stuff lol.
__________________
chris_knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 12:29 AM   #12
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire
 
Pythias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ohio, U.S.
Posts: 1,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
I dunno, I thought there were some on eBay that did like loop-de-loops and stuff lol.

I'm sure there are too.... but what you posted wasn't one of them.
__________________
"Though I drive through the valley of rice,I shall fear no turbo for torque art with me. Thy rod and piston, they comfort me."

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 07:30 PM   #13
Bronxie
Dont know crap about cars
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Westchester Co., NY
Posts: 1,386
I found one for my boxster and I think the price says it's a POS but I have no way of telling. And yes I read your topic DSMer.

http://www.gmpperformance.com/index....ail&PID=141376


Mind you, this is the ONLY one I've been able to find for a 987.


It shows a tube and all, but look at the pic, it says, "utilizes OEM air feed pipe..."


I can't tell if this is garbage or not. Price seems low for porsche parts, especially one presumably made in low volumes, considering there are not a lot of 987s on the road.
__________________


Driving a lotus is more thrilling than sex.
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 07:34 PM   #14
NYCer
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 20
an intake will do near nothing for your car...swap/spray/boost
NYCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 11:04 PM   #15
giant016
My mom says I'm cool
 
giant016's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Western Mass.
Posts: 1,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCer
an intake will do near nothing for your car...swap/spray/boost
F*ck that, he should just get a Gallardo . A swap, nitrous setup, or a turbo are big projects that cost big bucks compared to an intake. You're more or less are telling somebody to get a telescope instead of glasses.
__________________
Submitted for the approval of the Midnight Society

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.