Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2006, 04:16 PM   #1
Bloodcraft
CF Newbie

Question Help Please, L@@K

Okay I am a fairly new stick driver and I had some questions. I first learned stick on a 1991 Volvo 240, but that was many years ago. I purchased a 2006 wrangler 6-speed and wanted to make sure i was doing everything properly.

ok here are my questions:

1. Is it okay to keep the clutch half engaged during reverse? I have a small turn-around in my driveway and I almost half to keep the clutch half engaged to hold myself back. Also is keeping the clutch half engaged in traffic jams okay?

2. is 1st gear different then all the other gears? Can I still bring the RPMS up to 3 or further? why does my car make a chunking sound when i shift at low rpms from first to second?
4. The car makes a clacking noise if the clutch is engaged when the rpms excede 2rpms or more
5. Does it strain a car to go past 2.5 - 3 rpms when shifting?
6. Sometimes when im shifting the gear shifter level from l ets say 1st to 2nd I can feel it being grabbed into the slot? like i can feel the gear being pulled into the gear slot is this normal? even when the clutch is completely down to the floor?
7. Is it okay to shift fast? it almost seems as if i have to pause in neutral then continue into the next gear because it has such a long throw.
8. Also in parking lots etc. what do you guys do? I find that 1st gear has such a high excessive engine whine when i let off the gas its annoying..

thanks for the tips guys
Bloodcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 05:24 PM   #2
Bloodcraft
CF Newbie

plz?
Old 12-11-2006, 06:16 PM   #3
Inygknok
El del Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodcraft
Okay I am a fairly new stick driver and I had some questions. I first learned stick on a 1991 Volvo 240, but that was many years ago. I purchased a 2006 wrangler 6-speed and wanted to make sure i was doing everything properly.

ok here are my questions:

1. Is it okay to keep the clutch half engaged during reverse? I have a small turn-around in my driveway and I almost half to keep the clutch half engaged to hold myself back. Also is keeping the clutch half engaged in traffic jams okay?

2. is 1st gear different then all the other gears? Can I still bring the RPMS up to 3 or further? why does my car make a chunking sound when i shift at low rpms from first to second?
4. The car makes a clacking noise if the clutch is engaged when the rpms excede 2rpms or more
5. Does it strain a car to go past 2.5 - 3 rpms when shifting?
6. Sometimes when im shifting the gear shifter level from l ets say 1st to 2nd I can feel it being grabbed into the slot? like i can feel the gear being pulled into the gear slot is this normal? even when the clutch is completely down to the floor?
7. Is it okay to shift fast? it almost seems as if i have to pause in neutral then continue into the next gear because it has such a long throw.
8. Also in parking lots etc. what do you guys do? I find that 1st gear has such a high excessive engine whine when i let off the gas its annoying..

thanks for the tips guys

1) im sure that eventually u will stop leaving the clutch half engaged. i find it normal to do that when trying to remember after not driving stick for a little while (happens to me after a few months). it would be better to learn at some point how NOT to leave it half engaged, as it wears down a bit more when half engaged.

2) sure, u can shift 1st gear like every other gear. as for the chunking sound, i dont get wat you're trying to say.

3) again, the clacking noise. clacking as in a metal against metal sound or something?

4) no it doesnt strain the car shifting at those rpm levels. those are the rpm numbers i shift the supra at while cruising just fine (without charging the turbo as well).

5) grabbed into the slot? as in it kinda pops into place? yea, thats normal.

6) dont need to shift lightning fast. eventually, u kinda learn the "proper" rythm when driving normally. of course, AFTER pressing the clutch, it shouldnt take like 2 seconds to move the shift lever, but u know. kinda hard to explain when im in a bit of a rush atm.

7) excessive engine whine? wtf? i always park in reverse though, which normally DOES whine, but i no one seems to care (and i have seen this in almost every manual car). if it's the same sound that i think it is.... well, that's odd. such a new car shouldnt whine in 1st gear. i honestly dont know if it has to do with the way it was made (like if it's normal on that wrangler) or if it's something else.

Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 08:05 PM   #4
Bloodcraft
CF Newbie

3) -> it sounds like metal upon metal underneath the car

and about the parking lot thing, I meant that my car has alot of whine when riding around in 1st gear...im not going fast enough to use 2nd gear though kinda sucks i have short gears..

also about the gearshifter when im shifting from 1st to 2nd or like 3rd to 4th i can feel the shifter being grabbed into that particuliar slot,, like teeth pulling it in kinda
Old 12-11-2006, 08:09 PM   #5
Bloodcraft
CF Newbie

ok well first gear is jerky and rough and very hard to keep smooth, it actually gets so rough sometimes that my foot goes up and down on the gas and makes it evenw orse till i have to come to a complete stop wtf?
Old 12-11-2006, 08:47 PM   #6
Inygknok
El del Supra

ok, lets go step by step.

a metal clanking noise when the clutch is engaged? definately weird since it's a 2006 car. was it used? its really not supposed to be even sounding at all.

wat i tend to do is that i drive around using 2nd gear when going slow. yea, most manual cars tend to act a bit funny on first gear when driving slowly around a parking lot (IE: giving it gas for a second and then not, so on so on). usually i just put it into 2nd quickly and drive the car around at 1500 RPMS and sometimes a bit lower (depends on wat car im driving, if its the Supra, cant go below 1,300 RPMS). this is even better on cars with short gear ratios. the ones with long ratios tend to be a bit more bitchy about it.

the gearshift.... if it's grinding, then something's wrong, REALLY wrong, cuz its a 2006 car. but if its just being pulled, like some sort of suction or the devil is trying to steal its soul into position, then thats ok. i honestly think i know wat you mean, and that's just fine. it's bad when the stick either has play in it, gets stuck, or grinds.

Old 12-13-2006, 01:54 PM   #7
Bronxie
Dont know crap about cars

Um making a "clacking" sound while the clutch is engaged is just strange...

Ask your dealer...lol

Driving a lotus is more thrilling than sex.
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 02:45 PM   #8
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inygknok

7) excessive engine whine? wtf? i always park in reverse though, which normally DOES whine, but i no one seems to care (and i have seen this in almost every manual car). if it's the same sound that i think it is.... well, that's odd. such a new car shouldnt whine in 1st gear. i honestly dont know if it has to do with the way it was made (like if it's normal on that wrangler) or if it's something else.

When he takes his foot OFF the pedal in first gear. The sound of compression breaking in first sounds sort of whiney, so I think thats what he is referring to.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:03 PM   #9
Inygknok
El del Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacFan27
When he takes his foot OFF the pedal in first gear. The sound of compression breaking in first sounds sort of whiney, so I think thats what he is referring to.
i think he meant that it was a constant whine though.

Old 12-14-2006, 02:39 AM   #10
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inygknok
i think he meant that it was a constant whine though.

"When I let off the gas" - OP