Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > Off Topic
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2007, 02:58 AM   #1
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Windows Vista?

I've heard a little about this but not enough to know what it's all about, lol....Anybody here in the know as far as Computer etc are concerned? Is this the replacement for XP or something?

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 03:01 AM   #2
chris_knows
๑۩۞

I don't know too much about it either, but yes, it is the next line of Windows after XP. It looks pretty nice, but I think it takes a lot of resources to run, so stuff will probably load slower.
Old 01-12-2007, 03:07 AM   #3
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
I don't know too much about it either, but yes, it is the next line of Windows after XP. It looks pretty nice, but I think it takes a lot of resources to run, so stuff will probably load slower.
I see. I guess that's what all new PC's will be running on before long then? A bit like trying to run XP on NT technology? lol *Tries to act like he know's what he's talking about*

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 03:15 AM   #4
97Talonchik
discombobulated

My boyfriend got the beta version of it to test. He seems to like it. Apparently it has Media Center built in to it or something. Other than that, I believe it's pretty much the same.
97Talonchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 03:18 AM   #5
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer

It's a brand new OS...the next generation from Windows....originally filed under codename Longhorn a couple years ago. I myself have used the beta, and said **** it and went back to XP. There are so many flaws and driver issues in the OS that I couldn't handle it. For example, my webcam is a relatively new(purchased less then six months ago) microsoft product, and Vista didn't even have a driver for it, not to mention my soundcard or printer. It also chews up a ton of system resources, and would require basically everyone to buy a brand new computer that's loaded to the nuts to run smoothly.

/end rant.
dodgerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 03:47 AM   #6
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
I see. I guess that's what all new PC's will be running on before long then? A bit like trying to run XP on NT technology? lol *Tries to act like he knows what he's talking about*
There's actually a program from Microsoft that tests your computer to see if it's got enough stuff to run Vista lol.

I recently got "Windows Nemesis 4.0" which is basically Windows XP Pro (Corporate Edition) with some hacks to get rid of annoying Windows problems and some extra programs.

Here's some info on Vista...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Vista
Old 01-12-2007, 04:43 AM   #7
Voda48
CF Lance Fan

I got my version in Nov. It is a little differnt than the beta version (in several ways) but I have yet to load it on any of my computers. I love XP for all the crap I have, and my other PC is messing around with Linspire right now. If you want to see what it is capable o, Microsoft has some good summaries. One of the coolest things is what I can do with flash memory. I was reading/heard from some techs, that a simple 1 gig flash drive can be allocated as system memory with the new operating system. Granted it inst as fast and you cant delegate it for say video graphics memory, but it a cheap way to add some speed. Tired it with a buddies PC and there is a difference especially when multitasking. All in all I will prob give it a year or so (PS the Aero menus are kind of cool, and it can take real advantage of 64bit multi core platforms)
Old 01-12-2007, 04:45 AM   #8
Voda48
CF Lance Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgerforlife
It's a brand new OS...the next generation from Windows....originally filed under codename Longhorn a couple years ago. I myself have used the beta, and said **** it and went back to XP. There are so many flaws and driver issues in the OS that I couldn't handle it. For example, my webcam is a relatively new(purchased less then six months ago) microsoft product, and Vista didn't even have a driver for it, not to mention my soundcard or printer. It also chews up a ton of system resources, and would require basically everyone to buy a brand new computer that's loaded to the nuts to run smoothly.

/end rant.
Didnt see this right away. This was a big prob with XP64 when it was realased however my understanding was it could build drivers much like some versions of Linux. I will look into it. Sorry for the double post
Old 01-12-2007, 08:11 AM   #9
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voda48
Didnt see this right away. This was a big prob with XP64 when it was realased however my understanding was it could build drivers much like some versions of Linux. I will look into it. Sorry for the double post

Yeah...I tried the 64bit edition, I have an AMD Athlon 64 on the AM2 chipset, so I said what the hell, my computer exceeded all minimum requirements, yet it was still "teh suck". I would wait until they've done at least 1 revision on the release edition to try it.
dodgerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 08:24 AM   #10
NYCer
Banned

unless you have a good machine, it wont run well

i have a 1.8
512 ram
100gb harddrive
good video card n junk

and it ran sluggish on my machine. my new laptop is VISTA compatable tho so I might get it
NYCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 07:21 PM   #11
fudge
let's fighting love

I'll avoid Vista, I'm happy with XP and I don't see that much benefit in switching over to Vista. If I wanted a nice looking GUI I'll switch to Linux and use the 3D desktop.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:09 PM   #12
Spanky2324
JDM LOL

I thought I'd revive this topic just because I upgraded and wanted to let others know how I felt. It sucked. I upgraded it on my laptopand it runs smooth and everything but no drivers for some things right out the box!? I had to wait a week for a driver to support my soundcard to come out let alone with itunes. Every time I brought the window back up it would become distorted but then i learned upgrading to my not so favorite itunes 7 fixed that. It does eat up a ton of resources(almost half my ram usage gauge constantly read at 46% with nothing open. It has some cool programs built into the system such as a dvd maker and movie maker looks good. Another problem I had and still didn't fix is that it is not able to read any media card it just doesn't read it anymore as well as with my smartphone it will accept it and then eject it which is a pain in the ass when trying to upload songs to your phone. All I can say is I'm gonna bring back out my recovery discs and go back to my xp until windows can fix this os and make it run better. Heres a couple screenshots for you guys

Personally I don't like how they did the program list.

92% of teens moved on to rap music.
If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday, put this in your signature

Owning a DSM is like having retarded kids. You get angered and frustrated by them yet you love them to death.
Spanky2324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 07:21 PM   #13
elchango36
WWJCD

*I'm sure this has been covered before*

If all you guys want is a nicer looking GUI without the hassle of shelling out $$ for Vista, or the headaches associated with it, WindowsBlinds is your answer! It's a great alternative if you want to upgrade the "look" of your desktop without actually upgrading your computer. The only downside is that if you pair this up with other programs like Icon Packager, Deskotp X, Cursor XP, Windows FX, so on and so forth, it can be quite hungry for system resources (but so is Vista apparently).

Old 07-11-2007, 07:32 AM   #14
Spanky2324
JDM LOL

Yeah I had the whole suite when I have vista and I still have everything backed up on my external hd. So thats what I'll do. Oh and I didn't shell out major money for an upgrade I just asked my gf to get it for me from her college being she gets student discounts

92% of teens moved on to rap music.
If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday, put this in your signature

Owning a DSM is like having retarded kids. You get angered and frustrated by them yet you love them to death.
Spanky2324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 11:53 PM   #15
Voda48
CF Lance Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky2324
Yeah I had the whole suite when I have vista and I still have everything backed up on my external hd. So thats what I'll do. Oh and I didn't shell out major money for an upgrade I just asked my gf to get it for me from her college being she gets student discounts
+1

Vista annoys me