Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2007, 02:27 AM   #1
dezinetech1000
CF Newbie

porsche - S2000 - Z4... What do you think?

Hello everybody! Newbie here... I would love some input regarding this dilemma I have here.. I'll try to make it short as possible because I myself don't like too much info...

Money to spend = 20-25k....

Cars to choose from for my money::
-------------------------------------------------------
1. 1985-89 porsche 911 carrera cab. w/ est. 50-80k miles
2. 2004-06 S2000 w/ est. 10-20k miles
3. 2003-04 bmw Z4 w/ est. 20-30k miles

They all have their good and bad.....and the car has to be convertible because I live in Southern California.. So here's my take on it..

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Porsche :: I love em.. ever since I was 5yrs old... well the countach was the car but the red porsches 911 turbo was always up there in my book. Anyhow, I love the classic look of the pre 964 911s... what I like about em: look, air cooled engine, history, passion.... old but i still love em..

-------------------------------------------------------------------

S2000 :: So much bhp from a 4 banger... Honda build quality.. reliability.. rev happy.. cool roadster look...handling is superb.. newer

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Z4 :: at first i didn't like it.. but it grows on you.. I like how the seats are way back; a true roadster feel... unique design.. handling is great..beemer quality... newer

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

So you see.. I love all 3 cars.. they all have their own little flavor... so how would you decide? This has been killing me..
dezinetech1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 02:38 AM   #2
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Why is there one classic and two newer cars in the list? Obviously a Classic Porsche will take much more looking after than a new car. If you want to jump right in and get the Porsche, bear in mind that a full service/maintenence history is vital on such a car! If it was my choice I'd go for the S2000, although for me it would be the best of a bad bunch so to speak, as convertibles don't really do anything for me!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 02:50 AM   #3
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Personally, I like the Z4 better, but I agree with Cliffy, a 20 year old Porsche would be expensive to maintain and the maintenance would probably be required frequently. It's a great car, but not as a daily driver...

Have you considered a 350Z Convertible?
Old 01-17-2007, 02:53 AM   #4
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

My vote is for the S2000. But why do you care? You need to get your ass in those cars and decide for yourself.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 05:30 AM   #5
elchango36
WWJCD

I agree, test drive them all, get an idea of what living with them will be like. (Although I'd also buy the S2K).
Old 01-17-2007, 07:52 AM   #6
dezinetech1000
CF Newbie

Thanx for the input... but none of you really explained to me why you picked one over the other.... yes you guys are right about getting my ass in those cars and testing them out... the thing is... I've test driven them already and still can't decide... 350z is out... I'm not a Z guy.. and if i were thinking about one I'd get the coupe.. the convertible one doesn't look right to me...

I'm really leaning toward the 911 because I've been waiting for one since forever... the other 2 cars are great but I might get bored of it... like it's cool when new but then you get used to it and suddenly becomes boring like any other toy... The porche to me is timeless...

Well..thanx for the input.... just wanted to see what other people think and if they can really sway me toward one car over another for some particular reason...
Old 01-17-2007, 06:52 PM   #7
Bronxie
Dont know crap about cars

I pick the s2000. Why?

The 03 Z4s did not make much power at all. In fact, they used the 2.5l 184hp engine. Compare this to the S2K 240hp peak output.

That said, even if you were to get a 3.0L z4, it's still considerably less powerful than an S2K, and is almost 200 lbs heavier.

This is all considering you like some speed driving and fun driving. If you are just gonna drive like an old lady, might as well get the Z4 which has much more low end torque and peak torque (even in the 2.5L model) and will be more comfortable to drive.

I don't even consider the 911 cab. for this because I think that a car that old should really be kept as a secondary vehicle, not a primary vehicle. I think the 25k could go towards a better car also.

If anything, the 911 will get you bored because it probably won't be nearly as much fun to drive. It's more a novelty than you realize. Anyways, if you do want a 911, I'd save some more and get a 993 911. THAT would be my pick for a 911.

MY PERSONAL PICK THAT YOU DIDN'T LIST: 99-02 Z3 M roadster.

Uses the s54b32 engine (same one found in the current Z4 M, but with less 15hp. Overall output is 315)

25K is RIGHT where you wanna be in purchasing one of these babies, and you can definitely get one for 20k with relatively high miles.

There's no better choice that comes to mind. You should really consider it.

SECONDARY CHOICE, CONDITIONAL:

If you really want a 911, save some more dough and buy a 993 911. They hold their values well since not many were produced (like 996s and 997s) look awesome, ARE VERY powerful, and... it's a 911!

Driving a lotus is more thrilling than sex.

Last edited by Bronxie : 01-17-2007 at 06:55 PM.
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 07:04 PM   #8
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Of the cars on the list, I'd take the air cooled 911. Simple and relatively cheap to maintain, but then again, I've had 3 aircooled 911s, a 912, and 2 914s, so I'm familiar with them. Thay make EXCELLENT daily drivers, with the '85-up Carreras able to go over 300k miles easily with no problems other than normal wear and tear. Replacement parts are not that expensive. And there's just something about an aircooled 911 that, well, every sports car fan should own one of them in their lifetime.

here's my three:

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 09:00 PM   #9
Bronxie

I made a mistake. The 99 z3 Ms used the s52 motor. The '00 on used the s54.

Old 01-17-2007, 10:20 PM   #10
dezinetech1000
CF Newbie

Chris V.. Those are nice 911s.. yeah.. I've done my research on these cars and I'd prefer the 85-89... i just love the body style and the engine on these porsches are bullet proof.. the carrera are also reliable as a daily driver.

Bronx.. I like the 993 but way out of my range.. however, I agree 100% about the Z3.. I love the M z3.. matter of fact, that car was my top pick until....... did some research only to find out that these cars are prone to cracks on the rear differential brackets that cost $$$$ to fix or even to prevent them from cracking... if you like Z3s then you should know what I'm talking about.. The Z3 used a poorly design (dated) bracket to hold all that torque.. through time will only crack.. see http://www.z3bimmer.com/Garage/Fixes...ack/index.html for more info... anyhow, after reading this.. I'm like no thanks... I love the car and design.. I like the z3 design way better than the z4... but that rear mount problem changed my mind other wise.

Thank you both for your valuable input...

bronxie.. you did have me leaning toward the S2k for a second there but then.. chris V changed my mind again...lol..
Old 01-18-2007, 01:03 AM   #11
Bronxie

You really think the 993 is that far out of your range?

http://www.cars.com/go/search/fs_sea...l&aff=national

That's a cars.com search of 911s 30k and under.

The same search for 25k returns much fewer results w/ only some damaged vehicles or salvage titles for 993+ 911s.

I think you're right on the edge of a 993 or high mileage 996. Just depends if you want to/can save up a few more thousand

Look at this beauty.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...dExi sts=true

If a 911 is really what's in your heart, I really encourage you to take a look at what's out there...and that's only on one website.

EDIT: That one is a tiptronic, but there were many many others.

Old 01-18-2007, 01:51 AM   #12
dezinetech1000
CF Newbie

Whoa! that is nice.. but it's an extra 5k... 993 for 25k has got to be something wrong with em.. besides, I wouldn't touch em if service documents aren't present.. So I've looked around for 993s and a decent one is around the 30k range.. and man do they look good.. hell, I'd even take the coupe.. coupes or convertible, these cars are nice... But I still like the older body style of the pre 964 models... preferably the 87-89 model. If I decide to save up for the 30k range.. it would be a toss up between a decent 993 and red 911 turbo (87-89) ....
Old 01-18-2007, 02:55 AM   #13
Bronxie

Well, good luck Remember, you can get an s2k for around 15-17k nowadays also.

Old 01-18-2007, 05:08 PM   #14
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Something else to remember, the '85-89 Carreras are no longer depreciating. They bottomed out at about $12k a few years back, so you won't lose money on one if you don't thrash on it. Newer ones are depreciating, as are the Z3/Z4 and S2k.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 10:45 PM   #15
SyntheticTrust
Female of the *****

Girls love BMW's.. I'd go for the Beemer. It's my first love. lol

Whoever said money doesn't buy happiness obviously doesn't know where to buy a HORSE.
SyntheticTrust is offline   Reply With Quote