Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2007, 07:13 PM   #31
Bronxie
Dont know crap about cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
So, it's slower, doesn't work as well, and has a bad shifter, yet it's "way more fun?"

You guys need to stop driving cars and just slap a shifter and clutch pedal on your easy chair at home, that way you can get all the "fun" of driving and not have to pay for gas, insurance, or anything else.

Something about ALWAYS being stuck w/ the automatic, or in BMW's case, the SMG, would make me sad.

I'm sure most buyers won't notice at least.

Driving a lotus is more thrilling than sex.
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 10:55 PM   #32
greg985
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
So, it's slower, doesn't work as well, and has a bad shifter, yet it's "way more fun?"

You guys need to stop driving cars and just slap a shifter and clutch pedal on your easy chair at home, that way you can get all the "fun" of driving and not have to pay for gas, insurance, or anything else.

Just becuase it is slower doesn't mean it can't be fun. I would rather a slower manual than a faster automatic. And what about my chair at home?

greg985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 02:59 AM   #33
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

Yall keep saying the M5s manual. Just so you know all the available transmissions for the M5 are manuals. I am a manual proponent through and through unless its is a pure drag car, but if given the option between an SMG and tradition manual transmission in the case of the M5, choosing the tradition manual would be plain stupid.
First the SMG has an extra gear so you would probably either be quicker through the entire speed range or get considerably better gas mileage or a little of both. Second im sure the SMG shifts faster and more consistantly than any of you could ever dream. Third the SMG has launch control and There is not a person here that could launch the M5 better than the computer does. Why in the world would you take a slower car thats harder to drive. Doesnt make since at all. And so yall know there is nothing not fun about driving an SMG equipped vehicle.

In my world being fast is fun and i think nothing would be more fun than pullin some tool, in the same car, who thought hed be cool and buy the manual version.
Old 01-27-2007, 03:44 AM   #34
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyntheticTrust
What's bad about them?

Its annoying working on them. When diagnosing, etc. Switching between terminals is just easier than pushing the button a few times, especially since the reaction is a little bit delayed....
Old 01-27-2007, 05:00 AM   #35
Bronxie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enthusiast
Yall keep saying the M5s manual. Just so you know all the available transmissions for the M5 are manuals. I am a manual proponent through and through unless its is a pure drag car, but if given the option between an SMG and tradition manual transmission in the case of the M5, choosing the tradition manual would be plain stupid.
First the SMG has an extra gear so you would probably either be quicker through the entire speed range or get considerably better gas mileage or a little of both. Second im sure the SMG shifts faster and more consistantly than any of you could ever dream. Third the SMG has launch control and There is not a person here that could launch the M5 better than the computer does. Why in the world would you take a slower car thats harder to drive. Doesnt make since at all. And so yall know there is nothing not fun about driving an SMG equipped vehicle.

In my world being fast is fun and i think nothing would be more fun than pullin some tool, in the same car, who thought hed be cool and buy the manual version.

I've never heard of launch control on an SMG.

The SMG is consistent, but VERY fast at shifting it is not. Shift times are about .2-.3 seconds so I've read, which is pretty fast, and faster than the average person, but cost/benefit tells me I'll take the tiny time loss and have myself a manual.

Can't complain about more gears, though

If I had a choice, I'd take an M5 w/ GOOD gearing in a manual. I just don't see the point of autos for street driving. Anything I can do in an auto I can do in a manual (minus the extremely fast shift times of ferrari's f1 and other racing transmissions), and shifting all the time just doesn't bother me.

But I wouldn't complain about the SMG either

Old 01-27-2007, 08:31 AM   #36
Mathew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxie
I've never heard of launch control on an SMG.

Wow, that must mean it doesn't exist.

(it does)
Old 01-27-2007, 07:33 PM   #37
greg985
CF Newbie

I just think manuals are always more fun. Its just fun to know you have compleat control over the engine. The only time I wouldn't take a manual is if the car had paddle shifitng.

greg985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 07:49 PM   #38
SyntheticTrust
Female of the *****

More like the engine controls you and your just it's shifting bitch lol.

Whoever said money doesn't buy happiness obviously doesn't know where to buy a HORSE.
SyntheticTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 10:58 PM   #39
Bronxie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew
Wow, that must mean it doesn't exist.

(it does)

Wow, saying I've never heard of it must mean I was saying it doesn't exist

(you try too hard)

Old 01-28-2007, 07:55 PM   #40
My Life, My Era
Banned

I've never driven an SMG BMW M5, but many complain about its jerky shifting during "non-spirited" driving. However, the manual M5 is supposed to be a let down due to computer interferences. No drifting or burnout type stuff. I'd rather drive both and decide which one I want. Choosing either the manual or the SMG without trying both out first is dumb to me...but how hard is it to get a test drive....hmmm.....

Some of you may have low self-esteem about your driving ability, but I'm confident I can shift faster than a BMW M5.
My Life, My Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 11:40 PM   #41
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

I am also confident in my driving ability but i am not over-confident in them. I know my strengths and weaknesses.
Until I see shift times for the new BMW SMG I call bullshit. We all know you think you are perfect but i seriously doubt you can shift faster or more consitantly than the smg which is a automated manual transmission built form the get go as one not a conventional manual converted to a SMG which makes it far better at what it does.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:11 AM   #42
My Life, My Era
Banned

I know my strengths, and one of them is confidence, which isn't one of yours. How can you call yourself confident and doubt yourself in the same sitting. I've seen your confidence....SHATTERED after everyone let you know the bad deal you helped your friend get with the TC turbo kit. You completely turned on your friend.

You have no definite indication of my shifting speed...nor do I. But I know how fast BMW's SMG can shift, and I am confident I can perform faster shifts than that thing...and I'm definitely smoother.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:47 AM   #43
Mathew

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Life, My Era
I know my strengths, and one of them is confidence, which isn't one of yours. How can you call yourself confident and doubt yourself in the same sitting. I've seen your confidence....SHATTERED after everyone let you know the bad deal you helped your friend get with the TC turbo kit. You completely turned on your friend.

You have no definite indication of my shifting speed...nor do I. But I know how fast BMW's SMG can shift, and I am confident I can perform faster shifts than that thing...and I'm definitely smoother.

Actually, you can't
Old 01-29-2007, 09:31 AM   #44
My Life, My Era
Banned

Are you going to comment on everything BMW? Ever since you got that poo job at BMW, you've become a slave to your inventory. Yes, ok, we know that you've been trained to sell us the car, and you may have visited a factory. Well guess what? I've seen the factory too...on ****ing NBC. BMW controls you. You only see the good, of course, because you're a brainwashed salesman. You believe your hype. You think they care.

I wouldn't buy a car from you. "You are garbage, let me speak to your manager"...that is what I'd say to you.

Tell me why I wouldn't want a BMW. Tell me the shifting speed of the M5 SMG.

Last edited by My Life, My Era : 01-29-2007 at 09:36 AM.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:25 AM   #45
Mathew

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Life, My Era
Are you going to comment on everything BMW? Ever since you got that poo job at BMW, you've become a slave to your inventory. Yes, ok, we know that you've been trained to sell us the car, and you may have visited a factory. Well guess what? I've seen the factory too...on ****ing NBC. BMW controls you. You only see the good, of course, because you're a brainwashed salesman. You believe your hype. You think they care.

I wouldn't buy a car from you. "You are garbage, let me speak to your manager"...that is what I'd say to you.

Tell me why I wouldn't want a BMW. Tell me the shifting speed of the M5 SMG.

Lol. First off I don't sell cars. I'm an apprentice technician. So I make my living on the maintenance and repair of cars. Specifically, BMW's. So I can tell you that they are very expensive to maintain, and not that reliable. I can go into specific detail if you like.

The reason I comment on BMW's because I know about them, and am constantly learning about them. My experience with them can benefit others.

And its not a "poo" job (there's What tapping into his vast reserves), its actually a very sought after position. I'm very lucky to have it.

I would love it if you came in and said "you are garbage, let me speak to your manager", because I'd punch you in the face and take a picture of it.

And finally, yes, the car can shift faster than you. Boo hoo.