Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2007, 02:12 PM   #46
chris_knows
๑۩۞

The ideal shift takes about 65 milliseconds (.065 seconds). I doubt most people can shift, on a manual, in under half a second.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:44 PM   #47
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
The ideal shift takes about 65 milliseconds (.065 seconds). I doubt most people can shift, on a manual, in under half a second.
Where exactly is it written that "the ideal shift takes about 65 milliseconds", and who decided on that number?

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 03:40 PM   #48
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Where exactly is it written that "the ideal shift takes about 65 milliseconds", and who decided on that number?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW
Gears change within milliseconds, without having to reduce speed, decrease engine power or use a clutch.
Quoted from here

I don't know how fast it is, but the figure 65 milliseconds was gotten from here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Site
Gearshifts in the M5 Touring can be executed 20 per cent faster than previous sequential manual gearboxes. Ideally, one gearshift takes only about 65 milliseconds. To put this into perspective it will take a seasoned driver about 0.5 seconds to perform a manual gearshift. These extremely short gearshift times allow a very dynamic and active driving experience.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:58 PM   #49
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Quoted from here

I don't know how fast it is, but the figure 65 milliseconds was gotten from here.
So because some random guy on some random website said it, it must be true? Come on Chris, I always gave you more credit than that. If the purpose is to have the quickest shift possible, why wouldn't a 50 millisecond shift be better than 65ms? And because 50ms would be better, why not 35ms?

I'm pretty sure what he meant to say, but didn't because he's just some random guy on some random website, is that under ideal conditions the SMG is capable of pulling off a shift in 65ms. That's quite different than what he said and you repeated. And I'll also bet that Mathew can confirm or deny what I just said because he's a BMW stealership tech.

Think about it.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 01-29-2007, 04:14 PM   #50
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
So because some random guy on some random website said it, it must be true? Come on Chris, I always gave you more credit than that. If the purpose is to have the quickest shift possible, why wouldn't a 50 millisecond shift be better than 65ms? And because 50ms would be better, why not 35ms?

I'm pretty sure what he meant to say, but didn't because he's just some random guy on some random website, is that under ideal conditions the SMG is capable of pulling off a shift in 65ms. That's quite different than what he said and you repeated. And I'll also bet that Mathew can confirm or deny what I just said because he's a BMW stealership tech.

Think about it.
Most people don't have the reflexes to move quickly enough though...The person has to actually move the shift knob, which means that the ideal shift would be close to 0ms, but nobody can move that fast.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:15 PM   #51
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg985
I just think manuals are always more fun. Its just fun to know you have compleat control over the engine. The only time I wouldn't take a manual is if the car had paddle shifitng.

You don't HAVE complete control over the engine. Seriously, You only shift because the engine tells you you HAVE to. And 90% of the time you don't even notice that you're shifting. It adds NOTHING to the drive if you're not really even paying attention to the shift, and I dare you to come here and point out where it does. In fact, I dare you to come here and point out where the full auto in my BMW 740iL makes the car no fun to be in!

If you're still paying attention to the shifting, or noticing the shifting, then you aren't very good at it, and you're not very experienced of a driver.

You kids have ZERO effin clue OR experience. Try driving a few hundred cars (for more than 2 minutes as an effin valet or dealership lot boy) with all sorts of different tranny combos, and you might learn a thing or two.

At least 90% of the "fun" in driving, comes from the other 90% of the things you DO while driving. hell, you can have HUGE amounts of fun in high speed go karts that have no shifters whatsoever! Shifting takes up barely 2-3% of the time you're behind the wheel. The throttle, brake, and steering take up more time, and provide you with more "fun" and "control" over driving the vehicle. If it didn't then I would have LITTLE or NO control over the car if it was equipped with an automatic, and I can guarantee you that that's not the effin case.

I prefer a good manual in the right kind of car (economy cars and small sports cars). I prefer a good automatic in other kinds of cars (from luxury cars to race cars). I have just as much "control" over the car with either trans, and I can have just as much FUN. And I have almost 3 DECADES of direct driving experience to back up that assertion.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 04:20 PM   #52
Loki
CF Newbie

Last edited by Loki : 01-29-2007 at 04:31 PM.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 04:28 PM   #53
hondaman
I drive a Buick.

Can't say I've ever seen the big hype about manuals either. Sure, they're fun in some cars...but a manual in a Buick LeSabre? Yeah right! Completely defeats the purpose of the car, and it wouldn't be as much fun to drive then, either. Yes, that's right, I said a Buick LeSabre is fun to drive.

I had something else to put here but damn if I didn't go and forget what it was...
Old 01-29-2007, 04:30 PM   #54
Loki
CF Newbie

Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 04:38 PM   #55
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki
I don't know who oro what you're responding to, but it's not me. I never said anything about a person. As a matter of fact I specifically stated SMG and refered to the site that YOU linked to.

Stay on point and tell us why a 65 millisecond shift is ideal.
...And who the hell are you?
Old 01-29-2007, 05:42 PM   #56
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
...And who the hell are you?
An alias...

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 06:00 PM   #57
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
An alias...
An alias for you (assuming you still are vwhobo)?
Old 01-29-2007, 06:06 PM   #58
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
An alias for you (assuming you still are vwhobo)?
Don't get technical, lol...Yes

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 07:34 PM   #59
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Not an alias, just someone who works for me who was logged in when I typed the reply. The phone rang, I walked away and when I came back hit submit without realizing my mistake.

That still doesn't answer the question Chris. Stay on point and tell us why a 65 millisecond shift is ideal.

Old 01-29-2007, 07:56 PM   #60
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Not an alias, just someone who works for me who was logged in when I typed the reply. The phone rang, I walked away and when I came back hit submit without realizing my mistake.

That still doesn't answer the question Chris. Stay on point and tell us why a 65 millisecond shift is ideal.
If you want to know why it's 65ms and not 30, then check out this website. It's from 2003, and BMW claims that their new SMG's are about 20% quicker. On that site, it says that shifts can take as little as 80 milliseconds. That means that since shifts take 80% of the time, shifts with an SMG can take as little as 64ms...