Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Community Central > Feedback & Suggestions
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2007, 04:01 AM   #46
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxie
A forum I use requires you to buy premium membership for images in sigs.

Good idea I say. Of course, then everyone would leave.
Images or sigs in general?

If it's just images, I'd stick around, but would make my sigs from text, like this:
(.|.)
.).(
( v )
.\|/

Old 01-24-2007, 04:31 AM   #47
azkid110
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Coronet383
Fact #1: You're trying to put the blame on people's signatures making CF run slow. This forum... Like I told you, signatures (pictures and animations) are not on the forum's server and have nothing to do with the speed of CF.

carforums or "CF" is what? A WEBSITE, everything you view on a WEBSITE get download so you can see it, so if theres more shit packed on to a website, the longer its going to take you to see. now, everything you see on this website needs to go threw the server and to your browser, if it has to transfer alotta shit, ITS GOING TO GO SLOWER. on pages without alot shit everywhere, its not going to take as long, but your browser, may be saving data from the last page, and cf may still be pushing shit to you, but its also pushing shit to everyone else, MAKING IT SLOWER.

think of it as supply and demand, if everyone is demanding more (the animated and large signatures), the server can only supply so much, so the price (latency) goes up. ... makeing it slower

Quote:
Fact #2: As soon as I first stated the above, you go and try to say the animated sigantures make for slow page loading, which results in making the pages load slow, because after all no matter where the pictures and animation come from they still have to be loaded. Right? Wrong.

ok as stated above, you need to download everything you view, so that is false.

Quote:
Fact #3: You say this site (forum) or moving slow but other sites are working fine for you. OK - so CF is moving slow. You never said it was threads. Threads are where the signatures are that you claim are making things slow. How about everything else on car-forums.com besides threads are they slow too? Yes. BUt I thought it was the animated signatures which are only in threads making things slow? Why are other pages on the site slow?

like I said, you need to download everything you see, but SO DOES EVERYONE ELSE, so the server (whichs hosts the site) has to upload more crap to everone else, which gives you less bandwidth to suck on.... making it slower.

please try to only talk about what you know, and not much else, my father was an isp for almost 5 years, he also hosted a server, which hosted his website, I know how this works, its not that hard to understand.
azkid110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 04:32 AM   #48
67Coronet383
CF Riff Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
Images or sigs in general?

If it's just images, I'd stick around, but would make my sigs from text, like this:
(.|.)
.).(
( v )
.\|/

LOL. Nice.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:40 AM   #49
67Coronet383
CF Riff Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by azkid110
please try to only talk about what you know, and not much else, my father was an isp for almost 5 years, he also hosted a server, which hosted his website, I know how this works, its not that hard to understand.
I won't even address your other blabber, because I already have in this thread. Go read it. But umm...your father was an Internet Service Provider (ISP)? You're retarded. I have to say I'm sorry but you obviously don't know how it works. You don't even know what a freakin' ISP is and most 6 year olds know that one. I've been studying web design for nearly 6 years, MIcrosoft Windows based programming (Visual Basic to be exact) for nearly 3 years. I have too run my own server (except I actually have). I currently run a few websites for clients, and on top of all that I have designed, put together, & coded 3 PHP based forums of my own.

Just as you said...please try to only talk about what you know, and not much else.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:08 AM   #50
azkid110
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
your father was an Internet Service Provider (ISP)?
yes.

Quote:
I have to say I'm sorry but you obviously don't know how it works.
If you bothered to read what I posted, you would understand that infact I do know what I'm talking about.

Quote:
You don't even know what a freakin' ISP is.
I figured I didn't have to explain what an ISP is, my dad PROVIDED INTERNET SEVICE, to san manuel, a small mining town in arizona.

Quote:
I have to say I'm sorry but you obviously don't know how it works.
Hmm well, your ignorance is pretty apparent at this point, so I don't really care if you think I'm right or wrong, and I'm probably not going to argue with you anymore.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:24 AM   #51
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
yes.

If you bothered to read what I posted, you would understand that infact I do know what I'm talking about.

I figured I didn't have to explain what an ISP is, my dad PROVIDED INTERNET SEVICE, to san manuel, a small mining town in arizona.

Hmm well, your ignorance is pretty apparent at this point, so I don't really care if you think I'm right or wrong, and I'm probably not going to argue with you anymore.
Are you sure your father didn't say he was an ISP just to make himself look good? When really what he mean't was that he was a call handler for an ISP...

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 02:36 AM   #52
azkid110
CF Enthusiast

No, it was awile back so it was dial-up, but it was called saguaro net communications, he only had like five or six hundred customers, but he was an isp for awile until the price of copper went way down, and they shut that mine down, so everyone left along with his buesiness.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:31 PM   #53
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Is it just me or are the forums slow again? lol

Last edited by chris_knows : 01-27-2007 at 11:40 PM.
chris_knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 11:48 PM   #54
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
Is it just me or are the forums slow again? lol
They just completely died on me...I got tyhe old "page cannot be displayed" thingy

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Old 02-05-2007, 08:20 PM   #55
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
carforums or "CF" is what? A WEBSITE, everything you view on a WEBSITE get download so you can see it, so if theres more shit packed on to a website, the longer its going to take you to see. now, everything you see on this website needs to go threw the server and to your browser, if it has to transfer alotta shit, ITS GOING TO GO SLOWER. on pages without alot shit everywhere, its not going to take as long, but your browser, may be saving data from the last page, and cf may still be pushing shit to you, but its also pushing shit to everyone else, MAKING IT SLOWER.

This is, in fact, wrong.

Quote:
like I said, you need to download everything you see, but SO DOES EVERYONE ELSE, so the server (whichs hosts the site) has to upload more crap to everone else, which gives you less bandwidth to suck on.... making it slower.

Again, this is, in fact, wrong. Any picture, or whatever, hosted on a DIFFERENT server (website, like imageshack or the like) has zero effect on THIS server. CF's server only delivers to you and everyone else what is HOSTED on that server. Anything hosted on a DIFFERENT server is sent to you from THAT server, not THIS one. So it matters not one bit how many people are on CF viewing your sig. CF's servers are not delivering that picture.

And most anyone viewing CF for the second time or more will be seeing the images delivered from their browser's cache, and only getting a new image if warranted, thus putting even LESS of a strain on any server delivering those images.

Large images hosted on other servers do NOT affect the speed of CF's servers or their delivery of the webpage to you.

Right click on the sig pic I have. You'll notice its properties show it hosted at supercars.net. How big that pic is would have no effect on CF's servers, only on supercars.net's servers. How slow CF loads will have nothing to do with how big that pic is, or even if I had a sig pic. Same for any sig pic, or any other picture in a post, hosted on a server other than CF, even if it's DISPLAYED in a thread here on CF.

Is that clear enough?

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 08:52 PM   #56
67Coronet383
CF Riff Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
This is, in fact, wrong.

Again, this is, in fact, wrong. Any picture, or whatever, hosted on a DIFFERENT server (website, like imageshack or the like) has zero effect on THIS server. CF's server only delivers to you and everyone else what is HOSTED on that server. Anything hosted on a DIFFERENT server is sent to you from THAT server, not THIS one. So it matters not one bit how many people are on CF viewing your sig. CF's servers are not delivering that picture.

And most anyone viewing CF for the second time or more will be seeing the images delivered from their browser's cache, and only getting a new image if warranted, thus putting even LESS of a strain on any server delivering those images.

Large images hosted on other servers do NOT affect the speed of CF's servers or their delivery of the webpage to you.

Right click on the sig pic I have. You'll notice its properties show it hosted at supercars.net. How big that pic is would have no effect on CF's servers, only on supercars.net's servers. How slow CF loads will have nothing to do with how big that pic is, or even if I had a sig pic. Same for any sig pic, or any other picture in a post, hosted on a server other than CF, even if it's DISPLAYED in a thread here on CF.

Is that clear enough?
There we go. Someone who actually understands.
++
Old 02-05-2007, 10:30 PM   #57
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
++

Exactly, As I've seen from pictures loading from other servers, the page itself, with all the text from CF will load fast. You then wait for the pictures from other servers to load, but it isn't affecting the CF server in the slightest. And unless you're on a 9600 baud modem, the relatively small animated images that are being used as sig pics simply won't slow you down in seeing the actual posts here on CF.

Again, big pics and animated gifs not hosted on CF are not affecting your ability to see CF, nor are they slowing the loading of CF pages from the CF server. You may not be able to see the pictures, but they are not the problem with the site serving you pages slowly. Period.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 12:05 AM   #58
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
++
I understand, I've understood all along, lol. I think people are getting confused with the fact that it is actually THEIR computer that is slow to load large images, and not CF...

Old 02-07-2007, 04:29 AM   #59
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

Location: Southern Alberta Likes:Long walks on the beach.....after anal
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Once again, further proof that you are an imbecile whose end of the gene pool needs a good chlorine treatment. Whether or not the picture is on CF's servers, a large picture will most certainly cause pages to open slower depending upon the speed of individual internet connections and the memory/processor speed of the computer they're using. Even a self-confessed computer illiterate like me knows that. Moron.

While I'm typing, try actually reading the post. I know this word has more than one syllable and that some of the letters are the same, but I never said "picture", I said "animation". ANIMATION. Try popping that head of yours out of your ass long enough to read (a skill you may actually develop someday) a dictionary and notice there is a difference.

Finally, remind us what useful purpose do you serve on this forum again? Tip of the day. Spouting incorrect and misleading "information" and then pretending that it helps people is not useful. Why don't you go somewhere that you have enough knowledge and experience to actually help others with your opinion, like maybe a forum for pre-schoolers who want to grow up to be losers... Or c*cksuckers.

Don't go away mad, just go away.

That kind of degrading to c*cksuckers there hobo, what have they ever done to you?
Old 02-11-2007, 01:12 AM   #60
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Anybody else having excessive trouble with this place tonight? It's taken me ages to get even this far. First the pages were slow to load, and then they wouldn't load at all!