Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2007, 02:06 AM   #1
drifterv_2000
CF Newbie

How can I power my foglights?

How can I power my foglights? Can I insert the power wire into the fuse box for the headlights or something?
Old 01-23-2007, 05:06 AM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifterv_2000
How can I power my foglights? Can I insert the power wire into the fuse box for the headlights or something?
I'd go for the "or something".

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 06:40 AM   #3
Spooky Kitty
CF Newbie

I've installed my own fog lights a million times, on several different cars. Depending on if you want your lights on a switch, or on with your main lights, parking or driving. I dont know about the switch, but on the other lights, Ive installed mine on the parking lights. Pull out the bulb, and (Normally their should be two wires, Hot and ground) Use a tester to find out which is hot or ground. Then salder the lines back together, and add your hot to the hot wires, and ground to the ground. Insulate the wires, and replace the bulb. Just remember to connect the left fog light with the left parking light, and right with the right, its much easier. If you have shorts, DOUBLE CHECK YOUR WIRING JOB for bare wires, or try a bigger amp fuse on your parking lights in the fuse box. should be a sinch! (One more thing, at any time, if the battery cables are connected, as if to test the wires.. make sure the bare wires DO NOT TOUCH each other, or ANYTHING metal, it will short out and blow a fuse, and that, once in a while, resolves into more, difficult electrical problems. If you need any more help, email me.. kat_forsaken@hotmail.com.
Spooky Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 08:28 PM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky Kitty
I've installed my own fog lights a million times, on several different cars. Depending on if you want your lights on a switch, or on with your main lights, parking or driving. I dont know about the switch, but on the other lights, Ive installed mine on the parking lights. Pull out the bulb, and (Normally their should be two wires, Hot and ground) Use a tester to find out which is hot or ground. Then salder the lines back together, and add your hot to the hot wires, and ground to the ground. Insulate the wires, and replace the bulb. Just remember to connect the left fog light with the left parking light, and right with the right, its much easier. If you have shorts, DOUBLE CHECK YOUR WIRING JOB for bare wires, or try a bigger amp fuse on your parking lights in the fuse box. should be a sinch! (One more thing, at any time, if the battery cables are connected, as if to test the wires.. make sure the bare wires DO NOT TOUCH each other, or ANYTHING metal, it will short out and blow a fuse, and that, once in a while, resolves into more, difficult electrical problems. If you need any more help, email me.. kat_forsaken@hotmail.com.
Whatever you do, for your own safety and that of your car, DO NOT FOLLOW THOSE INSTRUCTIONS. Wiring fogs directly to parking (or any other) lights is a recipe for disaster. You can use the power wire for parking lights as a switch wire to a relay for the fogs, but to do it safely they need to have their own dedicated circuit with a relay and their own grounds.

If you need anymore help, don't waste your time e-mailing kat_forsaken@hotmail.com. They are clueless at best and a dangerous moron at worst.

P.S. I vote for #2.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 02-07-2007, 05:49 AM   #5
Spooky Kitty
CF Newbie

Well.. Im stunned ya like me so much.. Its odd though.. Every single car Ive wired fog lights in is still, together, and running just fine.. no problems.. no nothing.. Would also be considered I make a good sum of money for electrical system wiring in cars.. Perhaps, because I am an electrician..???? O.o; Anyway.. Thats for this person to decide.. Thanks for the sexy comment though ~_^

Last edited by Spooky Kitty : 02-10-2007 at 05:10 AM.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:25 PM   #6
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Perhaps, because I am an electirican..????
Is that somebody who works with electrics...like an electrician?

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 03:05 PM   #7
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Well.. Im stunned ya like me so much.. Its odd though.. Every single car Ive wired fog lights in is still, together, and running just fine.. no problems.. no nothing.. Would also be considered I make a good sum of money for electrical system wiring in cars.. Perhaps, because I am an electirican..???? O.o; Anyway.. Thats for this person to decide.. Thanks for the sexy comment though ~_^
Let's add f*cking liar to what I said previously. In no particular order;

1. Anyone with even the slightest electrical knowledge or experience knows that you NEVER install a higher amperage rating fuse than what the circuit is designed for. No matter what you may think is okay, an automotive electrical circuit is wired to carry the maximum rating of the fuse plus a little reserve for safety. If you take a 10 amp circuit, add an accessory that uses 20 amps and then "upgrade" the circuit with a 30 amp fuse, at best you'll overheat wiring, melt the insulation and blow the fuse and at worst you'll create an electrical fire. Did I mention you are a moron?

2. Even the most rank rookie electrician knows you don't take power directly from another accessory... You take it from a power source. In words that a retard like you may be able to understand, that means tapping in to existing wiring (cheesy but effective), the fuse panel, a switch or directly from the battery. The method is determined mostly by what you're using power for and how you want it powered/switched. You are still a moron.

3. Along the same lines as #2, you never ground through another accessory. I'm about tired of wasting my time on an idiot like you so I'll keep it short. Voltage drop and wire gauge. Moron.

4. Even if wiring directly to existing lights was the right way to do this, why waste time wiring "left to left, right to right"? MOST cars have both parking light on the same circuit (along with tail lights, side marker lights, dash lights) so you're not accomplishing anything except twice the work. Moron.

5. Last paragraph because I know a mouth breather like you takes forever reading something like this and it gets tiring moving your lips for that long. SAFETY. Even if your ignorant, shadetree, backwards wiring job doesn't cause any other problems, think about this. Overloading a circuit as you describe will blow a fuse, and the funny thing is it'll blow a fuse when you need them most... While they're being used in the dark. When that happens you lose not only your fog lights, but also your parking lights, tail lights, side marker lights and dash lights. Good job moron.

You can lie to yourself and you can lie to others without the knowledge and experience to see through your bullsh*t, but you can't lie to me. You are not an electrician, you are a joke. Take your "advice" and shove it up your ass.

Old 02-10-2007, 05:09 AM   #8
Spooky Kitty
CF Newbie

LOL.. you obviously dont expiriment do you.. ? I thought these were car forums, not HEY LETS BE BIG BAD ASSES AND CHEW EVERYONE TO SHIT ON HERE! Thanks for the advise.. But I know what im doin.. and what Ive done.. Im honestly so thrilled you took so much time outta your day to dedicate such a long statement to me.. Simply amazing.. ! OH! Guess what.. IM INSTALLIN FOG LIGHTS ON MY TRUCK! Wish me luck! Hope my poor lil ampie boxie doesnt blow up! OH NO! LMFAO.. Adios. Electrician.. Hmm.. yea I think thats what I said?
Dont like my work, call my boss.. Elmedorf Air Force Base State Military Hospital, Anchorage Alaska.. You can get a reference if you need? I didnt say I wired MY car the professional way.. I done it my way.. and.. No fires.. so.. After 4 years.. I think she worked.. So.. hmm.. I wonder why it didnt catch on fire? Sure if you use a huge watt light, and a way huge fuse.. But then what? It blows the fuse.. At most shorts out the lights... thats what the fuse is their for.. Nwah!

Last edited by Spooky Kitty : 02-10-2007 at 05:16 AM.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:30 PM   #9
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
LOL.. you obviously dont expiriment do you.. ? I thought these were car forums, not HEY LETS BE BIG BAD ASSES AND CHEW EVERYONE TO SHIT ON HERE! Thanks for the advise.. But I know what im doin.. and what Ive done.. Im honestly so thrilled you took so much time outta your day to dedicate such a long statement to me.. Simply amazing.. ! OH! Guess what.. IM INSTALLIN FOG LIGHTS ON MY TRUCK! Wish me luck! Hope my poor lil ampie boxie doesnt blow up! OH NO! LMFAO.. Adios. Electrician.. Hmm.. yea I think thats what I said?
Dont like my work, call my boss.. Elmedorf Air Force Base State Military Hospital, Anchorage Alaska.. You can get a reference if you need? I didnt say I wired MY car the professional way.. I done it my way.. and.. No fires.. so.. After 4 years.. I think she worked.. So.. hmm.. I wonder why it didnt catch on fire? Sure if you use a huge watt light, and a way huge fuse.. But then what? It blows the fuse.. At most shorts out the lights... thats what the fuse is their for.. Nwah!
Your post has just proven my point about you better than I ever could have. Good job. Thanks.

Old 02-11-2007, 01:40 AM   #10
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Electrician.. Hmm.. yea I think thats what I said?
Not wanting to nitpick here, but you didn't say 'electrician' you said 'electirican'....and simply editing your post to read the correct spelling doesn't make you any less of a retard....You must think I was born yesterday.

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48

Last edited by Cliffy : 02-11-2007 at 01:43 AM.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 02:41 PM   #11
talon699
CF Newbie

Shows you who is in " Today`s Army " Good thing you work on a medical base. And may God help the people who have had the misfortune to have you do electrical repairs for them. I really hope you don`t wire homes.
talon699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 07:52 AM   #12
laurie
Banned

whata thread! Have you considered anyone's suggestions from this thread? Better ask a local mechanic in installing your <Link Removed>. They'll give you the correct answer.

Last edited by Cliffy : 02-27-2007 at 09:38 PM.
laurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 08:36 AM   #13
talon699
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaxleyjr
From talking with people I know who have been in the U.S. Military, they are a disciplined, process driven organization.

The men are taught to think out side the box to solve a problem but the thinking is guided by certain principles. The approach they take in many things including learning how to shoot in basic training is a process driven approach where procedures are established and people are trained to trust the procedures expecting a consistent outcome
And your point is?
talon699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 10:54 PM   #14
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

and most electricians know how to spell "solder" ..... i thought.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:00 AM   #15
Wally
I Know More Than You

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsonian
and most electricians know how to spell "solder" ..... i thought.

Yes you'd think it would be a "cinch".

Guys here's the drum:

A fuse protects the cable (not the end device) by fault limiting. Increasing the fuse to accomodate the load is not the intended purpose.

So long as the current carrying capacity of the cable is adequate for bundled and enclosed application, the contact rating of the switching device is suitable, the fuse holder and all the other in circuit devices and terminations can handle the load, there shouldn't be any problem.

Somehow I don't think automakers build much redundancy into their electrical systems and there's a pretty good chance that parallelling fogs off the parking light cct, might just cause a fascinating smoke show. I would certainly have a seperately protected cct with a relay/contactor doing the load switching.

Spooky Kitty you may well have dodged a bullet when you installed your fogs, but the one size fits all approach runs counter to your training and you are being irresponsible in suggesting merely tapping off existing ccts. Variances in vehicles do occur e.g. some Japanese cars have a woefully small chassis strap connected to the battery, which could easily overload and spread flame. Any dry, cracked or corroded joints could cause intense thermal stress, etc. Those vehicles with column clusters that directly switch the load could be a disaster waiting to happen, the phenolic/bakerlite fuse block that has been cast to accept a moderate current for the particular fuse receptacle could start a slow cook.

If you are prepared to give advice on these things you need to be prepared to indemnify those you are advising. The risk of fire from faulty electricals in a car is much higher than a fuel related episode.