Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Classic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2007, 12:11 AM   #1
89hatchback
CF Newbie

my stang sounds like a go kart,please help

i have a mustang with a 350 in it.vortec heads,high rise intake,comp cam roller rockers.530 comp cam,gear to gear timing,custom headers.first time it messed up it sounded like a 4 wheeler.i pulled the valve covers and a two push rods were bent.i fixed it and it ran fine for about 5 minutes.same thing happened.fixed it again and it ran good.now it wont spin a tire,u cant even hear the cam chop.no throttle response.someone help me
89hatchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 01:12 AM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89hatchback
i have a mustang with a 350 in it.vortec heads,high rise intake,comp cam roller rockers.530 comp cam,gear to gear timing,custom headers.first time it messed up it sounded like a 4 wheeler.i pulled the valve covers and a two push rods were bent.i fixed it and it ran fine for about 5 minutes.same thing happened.fixed it again and it ran good.now it wont spin a tire,u cant even hear the cam chop.no throttle response.someone help me
Sure ya do dipsh*t. Lots of people with small block Chevys in Mustangs need help on an internet forum.

Go away little boy.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 04:25 AM   #3
corbett_auto
CF Addict

I agree...the story sounds a little fishy. If it all is legit, fill us in on some more details and we can help...Sounds like the engine was improperly put together (valves not properly adjusted) and you are turning tooo many RPMs (from spinning the tires)
Old 01-28-2007, 11:49 PM   #4
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

Where the two bent pushrods for the same cylinder?
Old 01-28-2007, 11:53 PM   #5
nighthawk
Part Time Active User

there is no need to explain a problem so horribly wrong

"There is a big difference between being fast and powerful and just being loud and annoying."
nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 12:39 AM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enthusiast
If that was in fact the case, why would that be so horribly surprising? It happens all the time. If 25 random engine parts were spread out in front of you, could you even identify a pushrod? I bet not.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 02:17 AM   #7
89hatchback
CF Newbie

to all the a@# holes on here, heres my car and i was looking for help.if you dont know anything about what im talking about,or better yet know what your talking about,then shut up or dont reply.yall are the dumbas#es that make it hard to find a good forum.and for those who know what i need help with then it would be a great help.thanx
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 091.jpg (48.9 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 2 014.jpg (55.2 KB, 23 views)
Old 02-01-2007, 02:20 AM   #8
89hatchback
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enthusiast

no,one on 5th and one on 6th cylinder
Old 02-01-2007, 04:18 AM   #9
corbett_auto
CF Addict

I still stand by my original response. Improperly adjusted valves or too many rpms....

Do you have press in or screw in rocker arm studs? Did the engine ever run correctly? Under what conditions did the problem occur?

Feed us a few more details....As most here know I am more of a body and electrical guy than engine...But the one thing I do know is your request lacks enough information to make a good assessment.

And on a final note you may have alienated the people that could truly help you with your harsh responce.....you should never bite the hand that feeds...
Old 02-01-2007, 07:13 AM   #10
89hatchback
CF Newbie

Angry

im not sure if i have screw in or press in studs.the engine has never really run right.its ran good,but not right.it acts different every time it bends or breaks a push rod.it has hardly no throtle response,like the timing is to low.if i advance the dist. the starter drags.maybe the gear to gear timing is off a little.i dont know.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:13 PM   #11
nighthawk
Part Time Active User

ive never seen a mustang that says chevrolet on the valve covers...

"There is a big difference between being fast and powerful and just being loud and annoying."
nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 06:21 PM   #12
azkid110
CF Enthusiast

whats your rocker ratio? what kind of lifters do you have? valve spring psi when open and when closed? what type of pushrods are you putting in it? whats your timing set to? whats the timing of the cam? has the valve(s) ever come in contact with the piston(s)? are your valves sealing properly? and are your rockers adjusted properly (no lash, but not holding the valve open)?

what were the conditions when the problem first started? dont lie.

I'm still learning, but if you answer those questions I and everyone else can get a better idea of whats going on.
azkid110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 06:49 PM   #13
glagon1979
daddy x3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89hatchback
to all the a@# holes on here, heres my car and i was looking for help.if you dont know anything about what im talking about,or better yet know what your talking about,then shut up or dont reply.yall are the dumbas#es that make it hard to find a good forum.and for those who know what i need help with then it would be a great help.thanx

why does the engine shot look different from the engine in the car shot. i see an ac compressor in one shot but no ac compressor in the other. something seems fishy. try starting the car with the timming retarded and then move it to where it doesnt hesitate when you "whack" the throttle. that should be close enough to "dial" it in. before we spend to much time on it though, we need more info.
Old 02-02-2007, 06:01 AM   #14
89hatchback
CF Newbie

ill have to get some help with some of those questions.im not much of a mechanic myself as you can tell.ill have some one come over and go over some of it with me.hopefully ill have some answers tomarrow.