Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2007, 03:40 AM   #1
hondaman
I drive a Buick.

Potential Transmission Problem?

So, a few days ago my car started doing something odd. Which, by the way, it is a 1997 Buick LeSabre Limited, 132k miles, 3.8L OHV Series II V6, 4 Speed Auto, type 4T60E transmission.

So here's the deal:

A few days ago, I started my car only to hear a strange whine coming from the engine bay...it only seems to happen for the first few minutes after the car has been started, whether the engine is warm or not, though it's much louder when it's cold. It occurs when the car is in park or in gear, at about 1000-1500 rpms. It's louder if the car is in motion and especially likes to kick in at about 1500 rpms when it is moving. I found this very odd because it doesn't seem to affect anything. No strange vibrations, no surging or loss of power, abnormal shift patterns, warning lights, anything. I checked the automatic transmission fluid, it was a normal color and didn't smell burned, and up to the appropriate level. As I said earlier, after a few minutes the sound goes away suddenly and it drives just as it did before. I can't say that over the past few days it has grown in intensity or frequency...it just suddenly started and I can pretty much count on hearing it if I so fancy anytime I start the car.

Becoming a bit curious, I researched the technical service bulletins on my car and found one that matches my exact description of the symptoms:

Quote:
# TSB #10001 -- INFORMATION ON GROWLING NOISE IN TRANSAXLE DURING FIRST FOUR MINUTES AFTER START UP. *YC (NHTSA ID #601769, APRIL 01 1998)

Unfortunately for me, unlike many of the TSB's this one doesn't mention a possible cause or cure, which means a trip to the dealer and putting myself at their mercy as far as what they want to replace. So my question to you, knowledgeable members of Car Forums, is what lays behind this worrisome noise? Is it something I need to fix right away or just some quirk I can live happily with?

Thank you for the time and information.
Old 01-27-2007, 05:29 PM   #2
hondaman
I drive a Buick.

Anyone? I hate to bump the thread but the noise is still persisting. No change in severity or symptoms, though.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:07 PM   #3
hondaman
I drive a Buick.

Well in any event I've decided to sit on it until it actually seems to be causing any sort of a problem, because unless it starts hindering the mechanical functioning of the car (which I see no sign of) I don't see the reason to spend money on it!