Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2007, 02:20 AM   #1
Nor*Cal08
CF Newbie

Wont start.

I have a 1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS. It's been running fine. I tried to start it after it had been parked for about 20 minutes and it wouldnt start. Its turning over but wont completely start. I would appreciate any help.
Nor*Cal08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 02:55 AM   #2
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor*Cal08
I have a 1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS. It's been running fine. I tried to start it after it had been parked for about 20 minutes and it wouldnt start. Its turning over but wont completely start. I would appreciate any help.
I'll move this for you.....It's obviously extreamly difficult for you to grasp where this should be placed....(taking into account your last thread of similar nature back in 2005)

I'm confused by when you you say "Wont completely start".....Are you saying it starts but barely runs, or it won't start at all?

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 02:58 AM   #3
Nor*Cal08
CF Newbie

Well the first time i tried starting it, it started up for a second then died... and after that it wouldnt start at all.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:00 AM   #4
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor*Cal08
Well the first time i tried starting it, it started up for a second then died... and after that it wouldnt start at all.
Did you leave it for a while before trying it a second time? Or did these events occur instantly, one after the other? Does the car splutter before dying? Does it sound as though it wants to start?

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Last edited by Cliffy : 01-23-2007 at 03:05 AM.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:15 AM   #5
Nor*Cal08
CF Newbie

Well after it died i tried again and it wouldnt start. A day later i tried to start it again and it wont start. It doesnt start and die it wont start at all.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:55 AM   #6
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Does the engine sound right when it is being cranked over? I mean, does it sound as though there's plenty of compression? (Not sure how far your knowledge stretches as far as terminology goes!) As this problem seems to have started suddenly, and assuming you have compression in the cylinders, it could be a fuel starvation problem (fuel pump maybe?), or an electrical fault (could be a stupidly simple fault....or a more complex). Obviously it's difficult to diagnose a problem without physically being able to look at and hear the car.

Old 01-23-2007, 04:04 AM   #7
Nor*Cal08
CF Newbie

Ya it sounds right when i try and start it. The fuel pump was replaced within the past year.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:07 PM   #8
iamjonscranium
CF Newbie

i was going to say fuel pump before i saw you post. did you get it replaced with a brand new one, one made in china (autozone), or something similar? it may have died again.
iamjonscranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 11:30 PM   #9
Nor*Cal08
CF Newbie

Well i checked to make sure there is fuel pressure at the fuel rail so thats not the problem.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:34 AM   #10
Nor*Cal08
CF Newbie

I checked to see if i was getting any spark from my wires when i tried to start my car but im not. Does anyone know why that is? thanks.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:38 AM   #11
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer

Checked the battery lately? If that's good, then I would check the starter.
dodgerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 07:06 PM   #12
Nor*Cal08
CF Newbie

I checked the wires leading into the distributor cap and there is no power there. The battery is fine.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:09 PM   #13
TexTruck
CF Newbie

I may be out to lunch here cause you have a foriegn car and this happened to my Chevy truck but I had a similar problem after I replaced my fuel pump and it turned out to be a fuel relay fuse or switch I'm not sure which. Anyhow on my truck it was a little black square with 3 prongs that plugged into the relay board under the hood. Maybe that'll help but I'm just a newbie who has no mechanical exp..
TexTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 09:14 PM   #14
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexTruck
I may be out to lunch here cause you have a foriegn car and this happened to my Chevy truck but I had a similar problem after I replaced my fuel pump and it turned out to be a fuel relay fuse or switch I'm not sure which. Anyhow on my truck it was a little black square with 3 prongs that plugged into the relay board under the hood. Maybe that'll help but I'm just a newbie who has no mechanical exp..

If you completely missed his last post, it said there was no power at the distributor.....
dodgerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 10:09 PM   #15
67Coronet383
CF Riff Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgerforlife
If you completely missed his last post, it said there was no power at the distributor.....
I was going to say that to you on your last post. (no spark)