Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Which car would you reccommend?
1996 Dodge Viper gts 1 14.29%
2007 Dodge Charger SRT8 1 14.29%
2007 Ford Mustang Coupe Shelby 500 0 0%
Other, please list 5 71.43%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-02-2007, 02:35 AM   #1
SoCal_4_Lyfe
CF Newbie

First Car Options & Advice

Hello, I just got my permit and will recieve my license in July. This being so, I am cheerfully searching for the ride which shall be deemed "my first car". I have 45k to spend on this car. What I am looking for out of this car is a safe, powerful, and cool ride with manual transmission. The cars I am interested in are: 1996 Dodge Viper gts, 2007 Ford Mustang Shelby 500, 2007 Dodge Charger SRT 8, Lotus Elise.

Any ideas on where to go from here?

Last edited by SoCal_4_Lyfe : 02-02-2007 at 02:47 AM. Reason: Forgot to add Lotus Elise to list
SoCal_4_Lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 04:50 AM   #2
Andrew0261
CF Enthusiast

i highly highly doubt u have 42k to spend for your first car yea.....
but if you somehow do then ill go for a Corvette Z06 but if you only want what off that list then the Viper
Andrew0261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 04:55 AM   #3
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_4_Lyfe
Hello, I just got my permit and will recieve my license in July. This being so, I am cheerfully searching for the ride which shall be deemed "my first car". I have 45k to spend on this car. What I am looking for out of this car is a safe, powerful, and cool ride with manual transmission. The cars I am interested in are: 1996 Dodge Viper gts, 2007 Ford Mustang Shelby 500, 2007 Dodge Charger SRT 8, Lotus Elise.

Thank God you're from Socal, the last thing I want on my drive home is some kid who just got his license behind the wheel of an 8.3 litre monster.

None of those cars you mentioned are safe or reliable. Get an '07 Honda Civic and put the rest into a savings account for school.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:22 AM   #4
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew
Thank God you're from Socal, the last thing I want on my drive home is some kid who just got his license behind the wheel of an 8.3 litre monster.

None of those cars you mentioned are safe or reliable. Get an '07 Honda Civic and put the rest into a savings account for school.
You idiot, then how will he get the hunnies? If it doesn't work down there, you need something to make up for it...

I doubt anybody on these forums would recommend that you get any of those cars...Learn to drive on something you won't mind wrecking because judging by how you type, I think you will end up street racing right into a tree...
Old 02-02-2007, 05:37 AM   #5
My Life, My Era
Banned

Quote:
What I am looking for out of this car is a safe, powerful, and cool ride with manual transmission. The cars I am interested in are: 1996 Dodge Viper gts, 2007 Ford Mustang Shelby 500, 2007 Dodge Charger SRT 8, Lotus Elise.

Crash rating safe? Or easy to drive safe?

Either way, you lose.

But off of the list you gave, I'd suggest you purchase one of those commas. Let's be realistic about this...you're a child. You have no f*cking money.
My Life, My Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 06:55 AM   #6
SoCal_4_Lyfe
CF Newbie

I have the funds to put half down on a 45k car. I have appropriate funds allocated to my schooling as well. I am simply interested in a powerful, street legal car which is affordable within my budget.

I do not believe in street racing and I disprove of my buddies partaking in such events. Why, I believe that their is risk to public safety and the last mark I want on my conscience is the fact that I somehow might have contributed to a permanent fault in someone's life. Instead, I will take my ride to the track where a few of my friends already race their cars.

Regarding the Viper, I do not know if it would be wise of me to acquire this vehicle now since it only seats two and has limited trunk space. The Elise falls in the same category as the Viper. The Charger has the most space but is also the slowest of the lot.

In respect to purchasing a zo6, this would be marvelous. However, a zo6 costs in the ballpark of 70k which is 30k more than I have available now. Plus, I would still rather get a 1996 Viper gts since it is just as good as the vette but almost half the price and it has more aftermarket parts.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:41 AM   #7
SoCal_4_Lyfe
CF Newbie

My Driving Experience:

I learned to drive with a CL 500 and can handle the car very well. I am a responsible driver and hope to continue driving high performance cars.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:39 PM   #8
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

I wouldn't say they're unreliable. If you can afford it, I'd say go for the Shelby. (Nothing you say to him is gonna stop him from getting a super fast car, so at least he lives in a place that doesn't have snow).
Old 02-02-2007, 04:21 PM   #9
hondaman
I drive a Buick.

Hey, of all the people that come on here claiming to be able to afford such cars at least this guy can back it up that heritage with proper spelling and grammar.

Now...

I understand that you believe you're a responsible driver, and in all reality you probably are 95% of the time. Despite that, there's an extremely high chance that a teenager is going to be involved in some kind of an accident with their first car, especially if they have an interest in cars to begin with. The type of skill necessary to be able to drive any of those cars you mentioned in a manner that is consistently safe comes with years of experience, something that you don't yet have.

Unfortunately, we're not your parents and what we have to say probably carries little to no weight in what will drive your final decision. But I honestly don't feel that any of those cars constitute a safe or wise decision for a first car.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:06 PM   #10
My Life, My Era
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaman
Hey, of all the people that come on here claiming to be able to afford such cars at least this guy can back up that heritage with proper spelling and grammar.

Don't be so naive.
My Life, My Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 08:15 PM   #11
Cliffy
CF Loafer

I love these threads....peoploe must think we were born on 14 december (inside joke.... ...dunno if anyone will get it, lol)

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 09:03 PM   #12
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
I love these threads....people must think we were born on 14 december (inside joke.... ...dunno if anyone will get it, lol)
I might have gotten it...Here's the most relevant thing that's happened on December 14th:
1949 - Cliff Williams, British-born bassist (AC/DC)...Am I right? lol.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:08 PM   #13
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
I might have gotten it...Here's the most relevant thing that's happened on December 14th:
1949 - Cliff Williams, British-born bassist (AC/DC)...Am I right? lol.
No, it's obviously a coincidence, lol....An e-cookie for anybody who gets it..and remember, search is your friend!

In a vain attempt to keep this somehow on topic.....I believe this kid is exagerating a little bit. Could be wrong, but I doubt it. Even if he does get a powerful car, he's more likely than a mature person, to stack it, that's obvious. Like what's been said before, he might be a careful driver, but when he's got a kid next to him who wants a race, will he still be so careful?

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Last edited by Cliffy : 02-02-2007 at 09:15 PM.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:36 PM   #14
greg985
CF Newbie

sure

Quote:
My Driving Experience:

I learned to drive with a CL 500 and can handle the car very well. I am a responsible driver and hope to continue driving high performance cars.

I dont care how "good" of a driver you think you are this car will get beat up. Allit takes is ONE seconds of being careless and you will be in a wreck. I am not saying you will total it but even a finder binder will take you want to cry. Buy something a little cheaper. It doesnt have to be a Civic but you can still find a nice are for 20k. THen save the the rest of the money for when you gain a few years of experiance and THEN buy a nice car.

Only a few years ago was was 16 and the BEST DRIVER IN THE WORLD. Now I can clearly see that I was actually not that good and made alot of mistakes. Take some advice from all of these more experianced people and go with something cheaper. You will be thanking us in a few years.

greg985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 10:39 PM   #15
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg985
I am not saying you will total it but even a finder binder will make you want to cry.
Is that the same as a fender bender?