Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2007, 07:45 PM   #1
newyorker
MXman
 
newyorker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,291
Sway bars

OK so now that the focus is on handling, I am in a pickle. My car didnt come with a rear sway bar...not just MY car, but the civic LX didnt come with one. The front according to an online site is a 25.4mm diameter. What is a good one to stick on the back to level out the understeer, but not overdo it with oversteer. Ive heard that the 19mm RSX rear sway bolts right in, no clearance issues, and is a good part to help balance steering. I realize that a sway bar alone will not give me rail-like handling, but it will help. Is 19mm a good bar to go with, or should I go bigger or smaller?

P.S. I will be using an adaptor kit by PROGRESS which also incorporates a tie bar into its design. Some have said that if I get a rear sway, and no rear tie, parts will start to break. For this project I will need

RSX rear sway
RSX endlinks
PROGRESS mounting kit
and a bunch of other little bolts.
__________________
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 08:03 PM   #2
elchango36
WWJCD
 
elchango36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Last year @ SIUC
Posts: 2,122
from my understanding, bigger front sway bar = understeer, bigger rear sway bar = oversteer.
What's your current spring/shock setup?
__________________
elchango36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 08:12 PM   #3
newyorker
MXman
 
newyorker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchango36
from my understanding, bigger front sway bar = understeer, bigger rear sway bar = oversteer.
What's your current spring/shock setup?
Stock. I want to balance that by getting a rear sway, but I dont know what size to go with.
__________________
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 03:40 AM   #4
Nissan_Altima
Biggest anti-post whore
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 760
Don't. Save your money on something useful. That's completely pointless and a waste of money. Your near stock LX is neither a race beast, nor a drifting machine. Buy your girlfriend something pretty for Valentines Day.

Nissan_Altima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 03:50 AM   #5
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire
 
PontiacFan27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Grove City, PA
Posts: 1,332
I would get a big aftermarket RSX sway bar and OEM RSX linkages. Aftermarket ones are usually cheaper, anyway.
__________________
PontiacFan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 03:56 AM   #6
elchango36
WWJCD
 
elchango36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Last year @ SIUC
Posts: 2,122
Honestly, you'd notice better handling by upgrading your mushy springs/shocks than just adding a rear sway bar. Trust me, the difference is like night and day.
__________________
elchango36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 04:42 AM   #7
newyorker
MXman
 
newyorker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan_Altima
Don't. Save your money on something useful. That's completely pointless and a waste of money. Your near stock LX is neither a race beast, nor a drifting machine. Buy your girlfriend something pretty for Valentines Day.

Coming from the king of the crop lol. How is the Sentra treating you? Remember that time you had PCV pipes strapped to the side for extra power?
__________________
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 04:42 AM   #8
newyorker
MXman
 
newyorker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacFan27
I would get a big aftermarket RSX sway bar and OEM RSX linkages. Aftermarket ones are usually cheaper, anyway.
If the bar is gona be very big oversteer is going to be very bad

P.S. Il be careful with her leg
__________________
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 01:50 PM   #9
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire
 
PontiacFan27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Grove City, PA
Posts: 1,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
If the bar is gona be very big oversteer is going to be very bad

P.S. Il be careful with her leg

Your car is front wheel drive. You need all the oversteer you can get.
__________________
PontiacFan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 02:37 PM   #10
newyorker
MXman
 
newyorker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacFan27
Your car is front wheel drive. You need all the oversteer you can get.
Not to the point where its uncontrollable.
__________________
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 06:28 PM   #11
Bronxie
Dont know crap about cars
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Westchester Co., NY
Posts: 1,386
Lower it w/ coilovers, springs and shocks.


That will give your car better handling but perhaps a less comfortable ride depending on how you look at it.


Everything is a trade-off. You can't have a race car and a dependable DD w/out spending a lot of $$ for one
__________________


Driving a lotus is more thrilling than sex.
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 06:53 PM   #12
ChrisV
The Big Meaney
 
ChrisV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: People's Republic of Maryland
Posts: 3,714
Do the 19mm bar. Adding ANY bar on a car that didn't have one will be a very noticeable difference, and yet not get the the ITR level of natural oversteer, or be dangerous in lift throttle situations. it'll make the daily driver more fun to go around corners in while retaining the ride of the stock vehicle.

Then go for springs/struts, and stickier tires of you want more handling.
__________________
I'm not mean. You're just a wuss.



www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 06:58 PM   #13
newyorker
MXman
 
newyorker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
Do the 19mm bar. Adding ANY bar on a car that didn't have one will be a very noticeable difference, and yet not get the the ITR level of natural oversteer, or be dangerous in lift throttle situations. it'll make the daily driver more fun to go around corners in while retaining the ride of the stock vehicle.

Then go for springs/struts, and stickier tires of you want more handling.
General Exclaim UHP

or

Falken Azenis rt-615

Size is 205 40 17 mounted on a rather heavy rim...want slips, but need money.
__________________
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 08:56 AM   #14
Nissan_Altima
Biggest anti-post whore
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
Coming from the king of the crop lol. How is the Sentra treating you? Remember that time you had PCV pipes strapped to the side for extra power?

The king of crop? Huh? Sentra is treating me fine, thanks for asking. Those pipes were there for a reason. It's called helping out an ex-gf. Nothing to do with my car. Act normal, and maybe one day you'll find out what that is. Remember that time you took out the backseat out of your Dodge Neon for "weight reduction"?
Nissan_Altima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 05:34 PM   #15
newyorker
MXman
 
newyorker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan_Altima
The king of crop? Huh? Sentra is treating me fine, thanks for asking. Those pipes were there for a reason. It's called helping out an ex-gf. Nothing to do with my car. Act normal, and maybe one day you'll find out what that is. Remember that time you took out the backseat out of your Dodge Neon for "weight reduction"?
Yea, that was a fun time lol. Dont worry about me and the females lol. On a side note, help Igor get rid of his lol.

BTW I know that it was her polevaulting stuff

So slio, what size rear sway should I go with? should I use my OEM endlinks or get the RSX ones?
__________________
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.


Last edited by newyorker : 02-10-2007 at 05:44 PM.
newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.