Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2007, 06:31 AM   #1
Bronxie
Dont know crap about cars

toyota to buy out subaru

Taken from another forum.

Quote:
Changes to Japanís antitrust laws has leaves the path open for industry giant Toyota to take over Fuji Heavy Industries, the parent company of Subaru. Toyota has owned an 8.7% stake of Fuji Heavy since October 2005 but according to analysts, the company always wanted a controlling stake but couldnít due to the antitrust laws at the time. According to Automotive News, combined sales of Toyota and Fuji Heavy comprised 45.6% of the Japanese domestic market in 2006.

Under the previous antitrust rules, no company could control 50% of the Japanese market for any product, but the new rulings will look at global market share instead when reviewing mergers and acquisitions. The changes are designed to strengthen Japanese companiesí competitiveness on world markets, but wonít take effect until the 1st of April. Toyota taking a controlling stake in Fuji Heavy is sure to bring that number one automaker spot ever closer to the Japanese giant. We also hope that Toyota will take advantage of Subaruís expertise in AWD and performance cars and apply them to future models. Subaru could definitely add some spice to the normally staid Toyota lineup.

Apparently, subaru is owned by a company called FHI (Fujitsu Heavy Industries) which deals in shipping and heavy equipment and this may be the main incentive for the move.

Post thoughts.

Driving a lotus is more thrilling than sex.
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 06:36 AM   #2
chris_knows
๑۩۞

I thought Subaru was owned by GM...Either way, I think both Subaru and Toyota could have a positive effect on each other.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:44 AM   #3
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
I thought Subaru was owned by GM...Either way, I think both Subaru and Toyota could have a positive effect on each other.
Either toyota will become cool, or subaru will be driven by everyone looking for a general car. Toyota makes good cars, but the only people around here that drive them are from India, and there are my parents. It could be good, could be bad.

BTW I am not sure who is owned by who, but I am pretty sure Subaru is a Japanese brand.
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 06:47 AM   #4
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
Either Toyota will become cool, or Subaru will be driven by everyone looking for a general car. Toyota makes good cars, but the only people around here that drive them are from India, and there are my parents. It could be good, could be bad.

BTW I am not sure who is owned by who, but I am pretty sure Subaru is a Japanese brand.
Subaru is Japanese, but that doesn't make a difference...Volvo is owned by Ford, but it's still a Swedish brand.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:33 AM   #5
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
GM used to own a fair amount of Fuji Heavy Industries, but sold it a few years ago (that's why there aren't gonna be any more Saabarus).

Subaru, well Fuji, is it's own company... well I guess not really anymore.

Should be interesting to see what happens. I really love both companies so it should really be a perfect match. Maybe Toyota can fix the STI designs, let's pray.

StiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 10:30 AM   #6
True_Brit
Has a new job!

i got this off Wikipedia---It is currently an affiliate of Toyota Motor Corporation, with them owning 8.7% of FHI. They acquired that stake from General Motors, who bought 20% of FHI in 1999 to have an extended presence in international markets, and collaborate technologically with FHI.

clicky here-y

www.myspace.com/jhn123
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
........Greek warrior cant reply because hes probably beating it like it owes him money.
True_Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 04:56 PM   #7
nighthawk
Part Time Active User

I cant see subaru making toyota "spicy"

I can totally see a Wrx STi hybrid

"There is a big difference between being fast and powerful and just being loud and annoying."
nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 05:59 PM   #8
Bronxie
Dont know crap about cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Brit
i got this off Wikipedia---It is currently an affiliate of Toyota Motor Corporation, with them owning 8.7% of FHI. They acquired that stake from General Motors, who bought 20% of FHI in 1999 to have an extended presence in international markets, and collaborate technologically with FHI.

clicky here-y

That's what the article is about. Toyota owns 8.7% but could not take control over the company due to Japanese anti-trust laws.

It is in toyota's best interest to try to give subaru a different image than toyota has. You don't want the two to directly compete.

Driving a lotus is more thrilling than sex.
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 11:37 PM   #9
True_Brit
Has a new job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk
I cant see subaru making toyota "spicy"

I can totally see a Wrx STi hybrid
that'll just ruin thier reputation of being a good performance saloon! a boxer that switches into electric mode under 30mph! nah, wont like it!

www.myspace.com/jhn123
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
........Greek warrior cant reply because hes probably beating it like it owes him money.
True_Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 01:05 AM   #10
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
that'll just ruin thier reputation of being a good performance saloon! a boxer that switches into electric mode under 30mph! nah, wont like it!
I can kind of see your point about that, but people do use them as everydays cars too ya know. A hybrid might be quite a good move for Toyotabaru....but not only at under 30mph, lol.

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 03:43 AM   #11
greg985
CF Newbie

Good or Bad

I hope the Impreza doesn't become the next Carrola.

greg985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 07:24 AM   #12
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Quote:
I don't think he was being serious. Maybe a WRX Hybrid, but I don't think they would make the STi hybrid.

StiMan is offline   Reply With Quote