Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > European Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2007, 01:17 AM   #1
Bronxie
Dont know crap about cars

2007 vw r32 rabbit -- it's back?

Volkswagen of America, Inc. today announced the return of its motorsports-inspired R32 at the Chicago Auto Show. First introduced in 2004 to an enthusiastic reception, the R32 delivers the ultimate in Volkswagen sports performance with dynamic handling and refined road manners.

The R32’s power comes from a 3.2 L naturally aspirated 15-degree narrow angle V6 engine. With 250 horsepower and 236 ft. lbs. of torque, the R32 is all muscle. The standard 4MOTION all-wheel-drive system transfers at least 75 percent of available torque to the rear wheels. Volkswagen’s acclaimed DSG® transmission allows for seamless gear changes and accelerates from 0-60 in approximately 6.4 seconds.

With a fully independent multi-link rear suspension that sits wider and lower than its GTI sibling, the R32 flaunts its authority both inside and out. Twin chrome exhausts, 18-inch alloy wheels, Bi-Xenon headlights, a uniquely shaped front grille and R32 badging distinguish this car from anything else on the road. A rear roof spoiler and deep front spoiler, coupled with body-colored bumpers, side bump strips, door handles and door mirrors, add to the streamlined, sporty look.

The R32 boasts a long list of safety features, including Electronic Stabilization Program that reacts to critical driving situations in milliseconds by controlling the speed of individual wheels; and a confidence-inspiring Anti-Lock Braking System that helps to prevent wheels from locking under heavy braking. Brake Assist boosts brake pressure in emergency braking situations and the state-of-the-art Electronic Brake-pressure Distribution automatically varies the amount of force applied to each of a vehicle's brakes based on road and driving conditions.

Inside, the R32 takes it cues from racing with aluminum-look foot pedals and deep front sports seats. Features such as automatic climate control (Climatronic™), ten-speaker premium CD stereo system, rain sensing wipers, automatic dimming interior rear-view mirror, heatable front seats and heated washer nozzles, anti-theft alarm, cruise control and trip computer are standard luxuries that complement this performance-driven champ.

Volkswagen of America, Inc. anticipates significant consumer demand for its sporty new R32 performance model, debuting today at the Chicago Auto Show. The new R32 is a reprise of the 2004 edition, which sold out its entire United States allocation of 5,000 shortly after its market debut.

The new edition, limited to a quantity of 5,000, is expected to appeal to previous and current R32 enthusiasts, owners of the sporty GTI who are looking for “something more” and to the larger automotive enthusiast community. To satisfy those customers with the strongest R32 ownership aspirations, Volkswagen has established an order reservation process. Current GTI and R32 owners will be notified of the opening of an R32 micro-site on www.vw.com, concurrent with today’s introduction. An R32 prospect will complete a purchase interest form, thereby generating an R32 Certificate. The first 850 people who present an R32 Certificate along with a deposit to an authorized Volkswagen dealer, will be able to secure one of the first R32 vehicles to be delivered in August 2007.

The R32 features an exclusive combination of high performance components, such as a narrow-angle 3.2L V6 producing 250 horsepower mated to a six speed dual clutch DSG transmission, with steering wheel mounted shift controls. It features a full compliment of comfort, convenience and performance features, as well as unique R32 interior and exterior design cues.

Not too impressed by this especially since it won't have a traditional manual. It's kind of a piggy also, reportedly weighing about 3800 lbs.

Still, much faster than the GTI.

What do you think?

EDIT: This is reported to cost around 31,000. For that price, I'm in an MS3 w/ a few thousand in change left over. Sorry, VW.

But the AWD really is the biggest difference between this and MS3.

Driving a lotus is more thrilling than sex.

Last edited by Bronxie : 02-13-2007 at 01:31 AM.
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 01:26 AM   #2
True_Brit
Has a new job!

rabbit is a wrong name for it! Golf sounds better, dont know if youll get it, but VW are to release a R36 version of their Passat!!!

the think the previous R32 Golf looked better!!!

www.myspace.com/jhn123
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
........Greek warrior cant reply because hes probably beating it like it owes him money.
True_Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 01:27 AM   #3
What
Banned

The aftermarket potential is what makes this car such a beast. I want to see what HPA does with this one.
What is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 01:28 AM   #4
chris_knows
๑۩۞

It looks nice, but 3800lbs?!
Old 02-13-2007, 01:33 AM   #5
Bronxie
Dont know crap about cars

I forgot to mention that it will probably cost around 31,000 usd.

I would take a faster ms3 for that price, despite lacking the AWD.

Driving a lotus is more thrilling than sex.
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 01:52 AM   #6
V-Tec
CF's student post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Brit
rabbit is a wrong name for it! Golf sounds better, dont know if youll get it, but VW are to release a R36 version of their Passat!!!

the think the previous R32 Golf looked better!!!
i completely agree with u.... the look and the performance of the R32 Golf makes it one if my favorite cars. The new GtI and R32 are just too "bubbly" for my taste.
Old 02-16-2007, 05:23 AM   #7
fatalbertxxl
CF Newbie

i agree. i sold my passat and bought one one of these (2004 of couse). i like the older body style better.
fatalbertxxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 12:53 AM   #8
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Looks good, and probably goes pretty well too! I like the sound of the new Passat R36, too...I'm assuming it'll be a 3.6-litre V6?

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote