Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2007, 05:16 PM   #1
prvn
CF Newbie

Need help with ICE

ok i didn't know which topic to post under(I suggest a seperate topic for ICE) so anyway im pretty much a noob when it comes to car audio but i have been doing some research on it lately because i want to install a new system on my car.
First off, i listen to alot of acoustic songs but also to a lot of RnB but quality is the main priority, not volume. But at the same time i want some quality thump. i am going for a somewhat entry level pioneer headunit with a aux in port and an ipod adapter as il only be listening to the songs on my ipod.
Btw, my OEM setup(Clarion) isnt too shabby either
With my budget i have decided i can run 2 kinds of setups.

In the first setup, i get good components for the front and decent coaxials for the back and an amp to power them all. But no woofer. This should be right if installed properly, give me good sound quality but may lack in the slight thump i might need to listen to my RnB.

In the second setup, i get good components for the front, use the stock coaxials for the back (which apparently aren't very important anyways) and power them all with the head-unit. I also get a decent sub with an amp to power it. The problem with this setup is it might(not very sure) turn out very bassy and lack sound quality and 'sound image'.

So which setup do you suggest and why?

PS: In both cases i have set aside enough money for installation and made sure that a good share of the money goes towards components for the front.

Last edited by prvn : 02-19-2007 at 05:28 PM.
prvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 07:34 PM   #2
greg985
CF Newbie

Of your 2 options I would go with the first. It is nice to have bass, but if you but a sub in and just have o.k speakers you will be dissapointed with the quality. An amp to the speakes makes a very nice sound. Although in my truck I hear the back speakers more than i hear my front speakers. The back speakers are bigger and i am closer to them. So it depends on what type of vehical you are driving.

BTW I have front and back Fosgate speakers w/ Fosgate amp. 1 10" Poweracustik Sub with Poweracustik mono block amp, and a Pioneer MP3 head unit. And Dynamat through out the truck

greg985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 03:34 AM   #3
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer

Personally, I would buy a mid-high end deck, because that's a big factor for the sound quality. As well, go with a good component set up front, the rears won't be as much of an important factor for a cars soundstage, but if you were to upgrade them, go with a decent set of 6.5" co-axials(if it's 6x9 stock, there's ring adaptors to put a 6.5" co-ax in there, and the sound is better from a 6.5 then a 6x9). As well, I would say go with a 10" sub in a ported box, you'll get nice clean bass for accoustical music, but a nice satisfying thump for bassier songs.

I recommend JVC for a deck, alpine or pioneer for your speakers, and alpine for the sub.
dodgerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 10:36 AM   #4
prvn
CF Newbie

ok say i was going for option 1. dodger suggested i get a mid-high end HU. but does it really matter in terms of sound quality if i am going to be using an amp to power the speakers anyways?
Old 02-21-2007, 01:25 AM   #5
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

Location: Southern Alberta Likes:Long walks on the beach.....after anal
ok im kind of a newb also What is ICE, i can tell you all about real ice, plastic ice chandaliery ice, wi 2 wi3 wi4 wi5, how to protect yourself on ice, but i dunno what ICE in terms of car audio mean, darn new lingo right?
Old 02-21-2007, 04:15 AM   #6
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer

ICE = In Car Entertainment.

And the reason why you would go with a mid-high end HU is twofold. One is you'll generally get a higher voltage preout, meaning that you're delivering a purer and more powerful sound to the amplifier, which means the amplifier doesn't have to work as hard to produce the higher volumes of sound. Second is that the d/a converter in the HU itself is of better quality, which means that it will reproduce the signal from the disc to speaker a lot better.

High quality songs + High quality HU + Decent component speakers + Decent amplifier is way better then High quality songs/entry-level HU/decent co-axials/decent amplifier.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:53 AM   #7
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyljun
I have a 04 Chevy Avalanche with 2 10" audiobahn subs they're Audiobahn AW1051T Subs and I have a Kicker KX 250.2 Amp ..

PLUS A flat screen at my door's car playing a slideshow of candy crib babes.

You audio could be better if we have the same seetings in our car hehe..

Good luck mate!

I run a JVC KD-6200 DVD HU, with Alpine Type-R 6.5" Components, Alpine Type-R 6.5" Co-axials in the rear, an Alpine Type-R 10 Dual 4 ohm voice coil sub with an Alpine MRP-M450 Monoblock D Class amp. So chances are my setup is a lot cleaner sounding then yours.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:50 AM   #8
prvn
CF Newbie

Double post. Don't know how to delete.

Last edited by prvn : 02-21-2007 at 06:28 PM. Reason: double post
prvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 05:54 AM   #9
prvn
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgerforlife
ICE = In Car Entertainment.

And the reason why you would go with a mid-high end HU is twofold. One is you'll generally get a higher voltage preout, meaning that you're delivering a purer and more powerful sound to the amplifier, which means the amplifier doesn't have to work as hard to produce the higher volumes of sound. Second is that the d/a converter in the HU itself is of better quality, which means that it will reproduce the signal from the disc to speaker a lot better.

High quality songs + High quality HU + Decent component speakers + Decent amplifier is way better then High quality songs/entry-level HU/decent co-axials/decent amplifier.

Ok thanks. now im pretty sure on what im going to get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyljun
I have a 04 Chevy Avalanche with 2 10" audiobahn subs they're Audiobahn AW1051T Subs and I have a Kicker KX 250.2 Amp ..

PLUS A flat screen at my door's car playing a slideshow of candy crib babes.

You audio could be better if we have the same seetings in our car hehe..

Good luck mate!

Just out of curiosity, anyone else notice how idiots these days always seem to emphasize their subs.