Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2007, 07:05 AM   #1
nate wesselink
CF Newbie

Help

i have a big problem i bought a 94 eclipse gs in december and i guess i didnt check my oil levels because i ended up spinning my main and rod bearings the parts are only 65 bucks but labors gana be 400 or so so is there a way i could do it myself without screwin my engine i have the chiltons manual for my car but it doesnt say how to replace the bearings or where they are any info and any sites i could find a diagram on that part of my engine
it has a 1.8 liter 5 speed mulitport fuel injection i got it up to 110@5500 rpm so ya its pretty fast for a stock 1.8 is it possable for me to do it myself without screwin my engine over any info is greatly appreciated
Old 02-15-2007, 07:53 AM   #2
Wally
I Know More Than You

Fairly straight forward job for the experienced, however you will need to get some tools, gaskets, micrometers, etc. I would suggest you find a mate who has a father who has the tools and nous.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:03 AM   #3
nate wesselink
CF Newbie

i have all the tools i need for it i just need a diagram and instructions to do it
Old 02-15-2007, 02:31 PM   #4
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate wesselink
i have a big problem i bought a 94 eclipse gs in december and i guess i didnt check my oil levels because i ended up spinning my main and rod bearings the parts are only 65 bucks but labors gana be 400 or so so is there a way i could do it myself without screwin my engine i have the chiltons manual for my car but it doesnt say how to replace the bearings or where they are any info and any sites i could find a diagram on that part of my engine
it has a 1.8 liter 5 speed mulitport fuel injection i got it up to 110@5500 rpm so ya its pretty fast for a stock 1.8 is it possable for me to do it myself without screwin my engine over any info is greatly appreciated
[sarcasm]I'll assume this belongs in the R&M section.....I just found it hard to read....[/sarcasm]

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 02:49 PM   #5
glagon1979
daddy x3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
[sarcasm]I'll assume this belongs in the R&M section.....I just found it hard to read....[/sarcasm]

i officially have a headache.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:54 PM   #6
Wally
I Know More Than You

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate wesselink
i have all the tools i need for it i just need a diagram and instructions to do it

I would do a little investigative work before going out and buying bearings. Drain the oil and drop the sump. Take a bigend cap that and inspect the surfaces for gauling. If it looks Ok get some plastigage and cramp the cap assembly back on to see what oil clearance you actually have. Similarly drop the centremain bearing (ideally the one with the thrust plate or washers) and test with plastigage ...... crank bearings tend to wear very slowly compared to the bigend bearings, so chances are they should be satisfactory. Make sure you measure the thrust dimensions (a dial guage on the end of the crank is the best way, but may be hard to apply with an insitu engine).

If tolerances aren't within spec you will need to measure the crankpins for wear, out of round and taper. If the pins aren't within tolerance you will be faced with a dilemna = do you take the crank out and have it reground or do you do a Heath Robinson by replacing the bearings and hoping for the best.

Once you have the bearings in and lubricated (which they should be before you put them in), take the spark plugs out, remove any drive belts associated with the crank and make sure you can spin the engine by hand.

OH and make sure you mark each bearing cap prior to removing so you can reinstall to it's mating journal and orientation.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:40 AM   #7
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
cramp the cap assembly back on
Keeping up salty fluids should prevent cramping
Old 02-16-2007, 04:17 AM   #8
Wally
I Know More Than You

Which is probably why you shouldn't pour salty water into crankcases.
Old 02-16-2007, 05:14 AM   #9
nate wesselink
CF Newbie

thanks wally hopefully itll work for me i really hate haveing to drive a van instead of my car