Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-16-2007, 10:05 AM   #1
Strokin' 4g63
CF Newbie
 
Strokin' 4g63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 9
What car would you put a 4g63 into?

Hi guys, I am new to the site and I know my first post should be in the introduction section, but it's really late and I'd like to let this brew over night and check on it tommorow.

Anyways, here's what I would like the car to do, it doesn't have to do these but there what I'm interested in and I would like to tie them into the car! First off I'm a HUGE fan of drifting and I love to go and get slideways... but my 88 V6 automatic Camaro can only do it in the snow, pfft. I also love the way a 4th gen. Camaro looks... and the way ALL Mustangs look... and I like almost ALL imports. I must also say I HATE RICERS with a passion lol.

A little more background on this project. The engine is a 6 bolt 4g63 out of an 89-91 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX and GS-T or Eagle Talon TSi. The engine is being completely built with a 2.3l stroker kit from Eagle Specailties, this will handle 600+hp. I'm going to run Wiesco 8.3:1 compression forged pistons. I'm not set on a turbo yet but I'm looking a a Garett dual ball bearing GT30R. The head will have titianium valves, springs, and retainers. Along with HKS 272 E/I cams, ported and polished ports, coil on plug ignition setup, sheetmetal intake manifold, ceramic coated turbo manifold, high flow fuel rail, SS fuel lines, Walboro 255lph fuel pump, high flow fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator, and to top it all off 1000cc injectors, all controlled by DSM Link ECU controller. The list still continues but I think I included the most important things, I'm hoping this setup will get me right around 500whp with the right turbo.

Well with all that, what do you suggest for a shell? I can run it in a Galant VR-4, Eclipse GSX, Talon TSi AWD, or any vehicle that runs off of a GM transmission or can hold a GM transmission. So I'm all ears!

P.S. Sorry for the long post!
Strokin' 4g63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 02:21 PM   #2
Voda48
CF Lance Fan
 
Voda48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 1,278
How about a Geo Tracker? Thanks for the one post contribution to our forum
__________________
Here's my Website: Voda's Webpage It is in dire need of updating.
Voda48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 02:23 PM   #3
prvn
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 28
Any mitsubishi with a decently sized engine bay and a sturdy chassis should do good. Maybe a lancer or a mirage. And to drift you would need a Limited Slip Differential
__________________
prvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 04:21 PM   #4
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL
 
Enthusiast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,106
Mirage cause its a sleeper.
__________________
Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 11:27 PM   #5
What
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Costa Nocha
Posts: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strokin' 4g63
Hi guys...The engine is a 6 bolt 4g63 out of an 89-91 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX and GS-T or Eagle Talon TSi. The engine is being completely built with a 2.3l stroker kit from Eagle Specailties, this will handle 600+hp. I'm going to run Wiesco 8.3:1 compression forged pistons. I'm not set on a turbo yet but I'm looking a a Garett dual ball bearing GT30R. The head will have titianium valves, springs, and retainers. Along with HKS 272 E/I cams, ported and polished ports, coil on plug ignition setup, sheetmetal intake manifold, ceramic coated turbo manifold, high flow fuel rail, SS fuel lines, Walboro 255lph fuel pump, high flow fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator, and to top it all off 1000cc injectors, all controlled by DSM Link ECU controller. The list still continues but I think I included the most important things, I'm hoping this setup will get me right around 500whp with the right turbo.
You're dreaming.

Wait until you see the bill for this sh*t.

None of those cars you listed are great drifting cars, so I hope that's not what you're after. I think you built up the wrong engine. I think you been cheated!

The 4g63 era is so over. You should have put an LS1 into an RX-7.


For your unfortunate circumstance, I'd go with the Eclipse GSX...only because I used to have one. But I had a 99', you're probably talking about some beater edition..aka...pre-95.

Do you own this engine yet?
What is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 11:46 PM   #6
elchango36
WWJCD
 
elchango36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Last year @ SIUC
Posts: 2,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by What
You're dreaming.

Wait until you see the bill for this sh*t.


None of those cars you listed are great drifting cars, so I hope that's not what you're after. I think you built up the wrong engine. I think you been cheated!

The 4g63 era is so over. You should have put an LS1 into an RX-7.

but i like the geo idea.
__________________
elchango36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 04:23 AM   #7
Strokin' 4g63
CF Newbie
 
Strokin' 4g63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by What
You're dreaming.

Wait until you see the bill for this sh*t.

None of those cars you listed are great drifting cars, so I hope that's not what you're after. I think you built up the wrong engine. I think you been cheated!

The 4g63 era is so over. You should have put an LS1 into an RX-7.


For your unfortunate circumstance, I'd go with the Eclipse GSX...only because I used to have one. But I had a 99', you're probably talking about some beater edition..aka...pre-95.

Do you own this engine yet?

First off, I am not building a purpose built drifter. I said I like drifting and that I'd like to be able to drift a turn every once and awhile.

So far I have all of the bottom end pieces, most of the fuel pieces, and the machine work done to the block. The head is going in for work in a month or so. I never said that this is going to be done in 2 weeks, and if you price it all up it falls short of being the price of hot rods and many other projects.

To me I'd rather have a car made for a V8 have a high power 4 banger, than a car that was ment to have a 4 cylinder (power wise in the RX-7) have a V8. 4g63 era may be over... to you but high power 4 cylinders are becoming more and more popular.

Also, your view on the pre 95 eclipses seems a little askew to me considering how the fastest DSM is a 1g.

Yes, I do own the engine I'll try to get some pics up tonight of it with the fresh coat of epoxy.

One more thing, I apreciate you taking the time to read and respond but you don't have to be (excuse my language) a dickhead that doubts every new person on here!
__________________
-The Chris
Strokin' 4g63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 04:25 AM   #8
Strokin' 4g63
CF Newbie
 
Strokin' 4g63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voda48
How about a Geo Tracker? Thanks for the one post contribution to our forum

AWESOME IDEA!! I saw a Geo Tracker in my area that had a 350 small block dropped into it. It was one mean ummm... truck? That would make a sweet sleeper but not my kind of vehicle lol.
__________________
-The Chris
Strokin' 4g63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 04:35 AM   #9
Strokin' 4g63
CF Newbie
 
Strokin' 4g63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 9
Here's a picture of the block right after the coats of black epoxy! Sorry it's so big.

__________________
-The Chris
Strokin' 4g63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 05:08 AM   #10
What
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Costa Nocha
Posts: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strokin' 4g63
Also, your view on the pre 95 eclipses seems a little askew to me considering how the fastest DSM is a 1g.
By fastest, you mean quickest? Either way, the quickest/fastest STOCK Eclipse was not a 1g. You're f*cking wrong. (excuse my language)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strokin' 4g63
...if you price it all up it falls short of being the price of hot rods and many other projects...
All hotrod and "other" projects cost the same? Well, you are quite the generalizer. But, if you are referring to the "average" 500hp V8 build, I can calmly assure myself that on average, it is cheaper to get 500 hp from a popularly modified American V8 than it will be from your 4g63. What is your budget for this project? Tell me so I can laugh at your expectations.

It's obvious you haven't researched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strokin' 4g63
To me I'd rather have a car made for a V8 have a high power 4 banger, than a car that was ment to have a 4 cylinder (power wise in the RX-7) have a V8.
To each his own. You should research the wonderful Corvette powered RX-7. Most say it handles BETTER than a stock RX-7. But with your budget, you could probably buy the whole Corvette.

Last edited by What : 02-17-2007 at 05:21 AM.
What is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 07:26 AM   #11
Strokin' 4g63
CF Newbie
 
Strokin' 4g63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by What
By fastest, you mean quickest? Either way, the quickest/fastest STOCK Eclipse was not a 1g. You're f*cking wrong. (excuse my language)

Ok with this one I worded wrong, I ment to say the fastest/quickest WAS a 1g, it was running high to mid 9's I believe on it's AWD.


Quote:
Originally Posted by What
All hotrod and "other" projects cost the same? Well, you are quite the generalizer. But, if you are referring to the "average" 500hp V8 build, I can calmly assure myself that on average, it is cheaper to get 500 hp from a popularly modified American V8 than it will be from your 4g63. What is your budget for this project? Tell me so I can laugh at your expectations.

It's obvious you haven't researched.

Ok once again I was very general and did not word it right. By most I mean the average gearhead building say a 67 mustang with a 400hp small block. This will take over the course of average 3 years, sounds about right. They end up after tally, spending lets say $10,000 sound right? Well this build wont touch that, or shouldn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by What
To each his own. You should research the wonderful Corvette powered RX-7. Most say it handles BETTER than a stock RX-7. But with your budget, you could probably buy the whole Corvette.

I do see your point of view on this. I am a serious gearhead and I am looking for idea's, although I will probably end up running it in a 1g GSX anyways but I'm looking for something different. I don't have a set budget on this but so far I have spent around $2500 on this project, this is my "paycheck to paycheck" project as I like to call it. Many of the parts I buy are used and I have a buddy that is rebuilding his 13 flat 98 GSX with the same stroker kit, and he has his finger dipped into every DSM guy in our area so I can get almost any part from a DSM I want for a decent price, PLUS he runs the local speed shop and gets a hefty discount... cost!

I should have expected a flaming but I risked it and figured lets try. If I where you, and I was reading this I too would think this guy is stupid and has no idea. Just stick with me on this one, I'll try to keep this posted. I also don't want to be enemies with anyone on this site, maybe my setup sounds pricey and ridiculous but it's over a course of TIME, and yes I have done enormus amounts of research on this engine and have thought of many setups and chose this as the one for me! Thanks.
__________________
-The Chris
Strokin' 4g63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 09:09 AM   #12
What
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Costa Nocha
Posts: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strokin' 4g63
Ok with this one I worded wrong, I ment to say the fastest/quickest WAS a 1g, it was running high to mid 9's I believe on it's AWD.
Modified cars don't count...really. With a large enough budget and interest, I could build a faster 2g, 3g, or 4g.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Strokin' 4g63
By most I mean the average gearhead building say a 67 mustang with a 400hp small block. This will take over the course of average 3 years, sounds about right. They end up after tally, spending lets say $10,000 sound right? Well this build wont touch that, or shouldn't....my setup sounds pricey and ridiculous but it's over a course of TIME

The average gearhead does not buid up a 67' Mustang. You're dreaming again...with Gone in 60 Seconds in the dvd...

I'd say that $10,000 is well above the average of what it takes the average "gearhead" to build the average American V8. On average. Especially a V8 producing an average 400 hp. You could buy a "plug and play" crate V8 that'll give you 400 hp for less than 10g's. What the hell is wrong with you. Average.

You're underestimating your build budget...that you didn't give us. Why does the majority of internet car enthusiast have the "speed-shop" hookup? I find this strange...aka a f*cking lie. But you may be different.

Will you drive these abrupt turbo-induced 500 horsepower from a 2.3 on your stock transmission? Uh-oh. Update that mental budget!

The 3 years you estimated it took to build up a "classic" Mustang may prove to be too long of a wait for a 1g Eclipse. Seriously, how long do you expect to like this car? Clearly you aren't in love with the 1g body style; if that were the case, you wouldn't be asking us which body to drop this engine in. I'd enjoy building up a 67' Mustang for 3 years, but there is no f*cking way I'd fix on a DSM beater for that long. A 1g definitely ain't no f*cking 67' Mustang. Girls will look into your garage and wonder...."Why the f*ck does he still have this car?"

Where are your parents? How old are you? Someone should have spoken to you before you embarked on this endless "dream car" journey. I hope you are prepared to give what it takes to build on a money-pit early 90's car that will be worth less than $2,000 if you finish modifying it.

Lets get back to your budget.
You say it won't cost over $10,000?

Well, you've already spent "around" $2.500. You don't have the heads, turbo, or a f*cking car yet. Then there are the parts you'll need to make the donor car...WHICH WILL DEFINITELY BE A USED UP PIECE OF SH*T(if you want to stay within budget)...function correctly. Your budget will surpass $15,000.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Strokin' 4g63
I should have expected a flaming...Thanks.

I don't flame, this is how I communicate. I don't like internet jargon. Who uses "flame" in real life? Who uses f*ckin' "emoticons" in real life? Nobody.

I'm not trying to discourage you. I'm showing you reality. Your build will be very expensive...more than you will probably be able to handle. More than you should want to handle.

Assuming you are young, I'll say that there are more fun things you could be spending your money on besides a 1g Eclipse.

Did you really think about this? Did you look at alternatives? What is your budget? Do you have a plan? Do you have a scheduled amount of time?

Last edited by What : 02-17-2007 at 09:12 AM.
What is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 03:41 PM   #13
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire
 
PontiacFan27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Grove City, PA
Posts: 1,332
You could make 500 whp off the stock block. The 4G63 is pretty damn strong.
__________________
PontiacFan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 10:45 PM   #14
Strokin' 4g63
CF Newbie
 
Strokin' 4g63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by What
Modified cars don't count...really. With a large enough budget and interest, I could build a faster 2g, 3g, or 4g.





The average gearhead does not buid up a 67' Mustang. You're dreaming again...with Gone in 60 Seconds in the dvd...

I'd say that $10,000 is well above the average of what it takes the average "gearhead" to build the average American V8. On average. Especially a V8 producing an average 400 hp. You could buy a "plug and play" crate V8 that'll give you 400 hp for less than 10g's. What the hell is wrong with you. Average.

You're underestimating your build budget...that you didn't give us. Why does the majority of internet car enthusiast have the "speed-shop" hookup? I find this strange...aka a f*cking lie. But you may be different.

Will you drive these abrupt turbo-induced 500 horsepower from a 2.3 on your stock transmission? Uh-oh. Update that mental budget!

The 3 years you estimated it took to build up a "classic" Mustang may prove to be too long of a wait for a 1g Eclipse. Seriously, how long do you expect to like this car? Clearly you aren't in love with the 1g body style; if that were the case, you wouldn't be asking us which body to drop this engine in. I'd enjoy building up a 67' Mustang for 3 years, but there is no f*cking way I'd fix on a DSM beater for that long. A 1g definitely ain't no f*cking 67' Mustang. Girls will look into your garage and wonder...."Why the f*ck does he still have this car?"

Where are your parents? How old are you? Someone should have spoken to you before you embarked on this endless "dream car" journey. I hope you are prepared to give what it takes to build on a money-pit early 90's car that will be worth less than $2,000 if you finish modifying it.

Lets get back to your budget.
You say it won't cost over $10,000?

Well, you've already spent "around" $2.500. You don't have the heads, turbo, or a f*cking car yet. Then there are the parts you'll need to make the donor car...WHICH WILL DEFINITELY BE A USED UP PIECE OF SH*T(if you want to stay within budget)...function correctly. Your budget will surpass $15,000.




I don't flame, this is how I communicate. I don't like internet jargon. Who uses "flame" in real life? Who uses f*ckin' "emoticons" in real life? Nobody.

I'm not trying to discourage you. I'm showing you reality. Your build will be very expensive...more than you will probably be able to handle. More than you should want to handle.

Assuming you are young, I'll say that there are more fun things you could be spending your money on besides a 1g Eclipse.

Did you really think about this? Did you look at alternatives? What is your budget? Do you have a plan? Do you have a scheduled amount of time?

I agree wth everything your saying and I would think the same thing if I were you. I never said I was using the stock transmission and I like the way a 1g looks if done right, so I'm done arguing.
__________________
-The Chris
Strokin' 4g63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 10:48 PM   #15
Strokin' 4g63
CF Newbie
 
Strokin' 4g63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacFan27
You could make 500 whp off the stock block. The 4G63 is pretty damn strong.

Yes the blocks are very strong indeed, I had someone tell me that there the second strongest blocks to come out of Japan. Behind the 2jz, the Supra motor!
__________________
-The Chris
Strokin' 4g63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:01 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.