Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Classic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2007, 01:10 AM   #1
fordslayer87
CF Newbie

455 oldsmobile crank

has anyone had luck finding a reproduction forged steel crank, because I have look high and low and here is what I have come up with. I know that oldsmobile made about 4,000 of them, so your odds of pulling one of those out of a block are slim. Mondello sells these cranks for $1500. That seems pretty god D*** steep considering you can get an a new eagle one for a chevy 454 for half that. Eagle rods is coming out with a oldsmobile cast steel crank in spring, but I'm not sure if that will be strong enough for my build. Does anyone know the HP rating on a cast steel crank? Also does anyone know where I can get my hands on a forged steel one.
fordslayer87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 02:59 AM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordslayer87
has anyone had luck finding a reproduction forged steel crank, because I have look high and low and here is what I have come up with. I know that oldsmobile made about 4,000 of them, so your odds of pulling one of those out of a block are slim. Mondello sells these cranks for $1500. That seems pretty god D*** steep considering you can get an a new eagle one for a chevy 454 for half that. Eagle rods is coming out with a oldsmobile cast steel crank in spring, but I'm not sure if that will be strong enough for my build. Does anyone know the HP rating on a cast steel crank? Also does anyone know where I can get my hands on a forged steel one.
A standard cast 455 crank is good for 500ish hp and 600ish lb/ft of torque if properly prepped, ie proper machining practices, as long as you follow two important guidelines.

1. Install oil restrictors to keep more oil on the bottom end and less up on the top.

2. Keep the RPM fairly low. With a 4 1/4" stoke, you can twist the crank if you spin it too hard and it puts tremendous stress on the pistons due to high piston speed. Keep it below 5500, or maybe even 5000 and it'll last forever.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 07:45 PM   #3
fordslayer87
CF Newbie

I've already got the oil restrictors in the block, so I'm good there and I've also got a fully machined crank with a N stamp on it. Nodular iron I assume, but plans changed and now I'm shooting for 700hp so stock bottom end components are going to hold up.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:01 PM   #4
fordslayer87
CF Newbie

I've already got the oil restrictors in the block, so I'm good there and I've also got a fully machined crank with a N stamp on it. Nodular iron I assume, but plans changed and now I'm shooting for 700hp so stock bottom end components are NOT going to hold up.

opps forgot the not in first reply