Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2007, 08:27 PM   #1
TexTruck
CF Newbie

Truck Belt

Hey Folks
I'm assuming that he has a life outside of here and of course I cannot begrudge anyone of that but I am sure missing Vwhobo's replies. Anyhow I have a question in regards to my truck which is a 1995 4WD Chevy K2500
305CC. Anyhow Last year I put her through the torture of driving it from South Texas to Alberta Canada. Since winter has kicked in (the first for my poor tropical truck) I have been noticing that when I start her especially in the cold that she bucks forward almost like it's gonna take off. Around the same time I also noticed that my serpentine belt squeals pretty good. I know the squealing means I gotta replace the belt but I am wondering if it is tied to the bucking or if it has to do with simething else like an under lying transmission problem. Any input??
TexTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 01:49 AM   #2
carls47807
CF Freak

Hey,

Is it an automatic or manual?

I doubt the belt problem is tied to the bucking forward. If it is a manual transmission, maybe the fluid just gets very think when it gets cold out. Try changing it to a lighter weight in the winter time.

It wouldn't hurt to change the belt and see what happens. I always fix the things that I know need to be fixed, and sometime other problems can disappear. Good luck.

~Carl
carls47807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 03:49 AM   #3
TexTruck
CF Newbie

Quote:
Hey,

I doubt the belt problem is tied to the bucking forward. If it is a manual transmission, maybe the fluid just gets very think when it gets cold out. Try changing it to a lighter weight in the winter time.

It wouldn't hurt to change the belt and see what happens. I always fix the things that I know need to be fixed, and sometime other problems can disappear. Good luck.

~Carl

Hey Carl
Thanks for the reply. Actually it's an automatic. As for the belt. Yup will do hopefully I'll get it done in the weekend.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:36 PM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by carls47807
Hey,

~Carl
Or better yet, don't follow any of this "advice". It's misleading and incomplete at best and entirely wrong at worst. But then what can you expect from a parts counter monkey.

1. It could "hurt to change the belt and see what happens". If nothing else it could hurt your wallet mindlessly replacing parts. Remember, if you replace every part in the system you'll fix the problem... Eventually. And parts monkeys just want to sell parts. Inspect the belt, inspect the tensioner and most importantly, early in the morning when it's cold inspect eveything the serpentine belt turns (idler and tensioner pulleys, generator, P/S, AC, etc). Something may be getting very hard to turn due to the cold weather. Most likely is your tensioner has gone weak and now the belt is glazed. A new belt ONLY would only be a band-aid on a broken arm, until it also glazes due to improper tension. Then you get to buy another new belt and a tensioner to fix the noise. See how the system works?

2. This is not part of your problem, but it need to be addressed. Too heavy of a gear oil in a transmission will NEVER make a transmission jerk, buck or lurch. In cold weather it could make it hard to shift until warmed up, but... You get the idea. Just come and buy more parts.

3. I'm not really clear on what you mean by "bucks forward". You mean when you put it in drive, or does this just happen spontaneously? Explain. (That's almost a cool as "discuss".)

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 06:41 PM   #5
TexTruck
CF Newbie

Quote:
1. It could "hurt to change the belt and see what happens". If nothing else it could hurt your wallet mindlessly replacing parts. Remember, if you replace every part in the system you'll fix the problem... Eventually. And parts monkeys just want to sell parts. Inspect the belt, inspect the tensioner and most importantly, early in the morning when it's cold inspect eveything the serpentine belt turns (idler and tensioner pulleys, generator, P/S, AC, etc). Something may be getting very hard to turn due to the cold weather. Most likely is your tensioner has gone weak and now the belt is glazed. A new belt ONLY would only be a band-aid on a broken arm, until it also glazes due to improper tension. Then you get to buy another new belt and a tensioner to fix the noise. See how the system works?

2. This is not part of your problem, but it need to be addressed. Too heavy of a gear oil in a transmission will NEVER make a transmission jerk, buck or lurch. In cold weather it could make it hard to shift until warmed up, but... You get the idea. Just come and buy more parts.

3. I'm not really clear on what you mean by "bucks forward". You mean when you put it in drive, or does this just happen spontaneously? Explain. (That's almost a cool as "discuss".)

Thanks VW
Ok as for the belt.........could it be related to the whine that I am hearing from the P/S pump lately as well? Because that's something that's been happening but only on large turns.....hmm and now to think of it when I pull out in the morning. The fluid level is good so I guess it's likely the pump......can I fix it by cleaning it up??

Now for the bucking. It actually happens right on initial start up not when I put it in gear. I turn the key and at the exact point where the engine actually fires up the truck "bucks forward".

Thanks again!!
Old 02-22-2007, 02:00 PM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexTruck
Thanks VW
Ok as for the belt.........could it be related to the whine that I am hearing from the P/S pump lately as well? Because that's something that's been happening but only on large turns.....hmm and now to think of it when I pull out in the morning. The fluid level is good so I guess it's likely the pump......can I fix it by cleaning it up??

Now for the bucking. It actually happens right on initial start up not when I put it in gear. I turn the key and at the exact point where the engine actually fires up the truck "bucks forward".

Thanks again!!
1. The pump making noise could be a symtom of a contributing factor. Fluid that is old or contaminated can make the pump noisy and could also make the pump have to work harder to move fluid, especially when cold. Yes you can flush the system with new fluid and see if that helps. Obviously, your truck is over 1500 miles away. I can only make suggestions based on experience, I can't tell you absolutely what it is.

2. That's kind of confusing to say the least. If you told me it jumped forward when you put it in gear, I'd suggest a combination of fast idle and high line pressure when cold. But not in gear? I have no idea what could cause this. Perhaps you have a bad engine or transmission mount and when the engine starts up, the engine/transmission shifts and it feels like the whole thing is moving.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 05:15 PM   #7
TexTruck
CF Newbie

Quote:
1. The pump making noise could be a symtom of a contributing factor. Fluid that is old or contaminated can make the pump noisy and could also make the pump have to work harder to move fluid, especially when cold. Yes you can flush the system with new fluid and see if that helps. Obviously, your truck is over 1500 miles away. I can only make suggestions based on experience, I can't tell you absolutely what it is.

2. That's kind of confusing to say the least. If you told me it jumped forward when you put it in gear, I'd suggest a combination of fast idle and high line pressure when cold. But not in gear? I have no idea what could cause this. Perhaps you have a bad engine or transmission mount and when the engine starts up, the engine/transmission shifts and it feels like the whole thing is moving.

Thanks VW
Your suggestions are more than appreciated. And I don't mind tinkering I plan on spending a fair bit of time on my truck when I get that cavalier done or destroyed. As for the mount possibilty I will get it looked at on the weekend cause without getting into a long winded story there's an outstanding issue that makes me think that it wouldn't hurt getting the mounts looked at.

Thanks again!