Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2007, 04:21 AM   #1
Nickboxer7
CF Enthusiast

Question about Hyros and Bags

Ok, I've been looking at some minitrucks that have either hydros or are bagged.

I live in the midwest where it snows, rains, freezes, etc. It can get COLD! Now I was wondering if it's not a good idea to have a truck like that around here. All of the compressors and lines and everything look like they are in the bed, so will the lines freeze or anything? Even if it had a camper shell it would still be cold.

What do you guys think? Does anyone run those in cold places where the parts will get cold, b/c in a car they are usually in a warmer area.
Nickboxer7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 04:43 PM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickboxer7
Ok, I've been looking at some minitrucks that have either hydros or are bagged.

I live in the midwest where it snows, rains, freezes, etc. It can get COLD! Now I was wondering if it's not a good idea to have a truck like that around here. All of the compressors and lines and everything look like they are in the bed, so will the lines freeze or anything? Even if it had a camper shell it would still be cold.

What do you guys think? Does anyone run those in cold places where the parts will get cold, b/c in a car they are usually in a warmer area.
Yes, people up north do in fact run hydraulics and pneumatic suspension controls on their cars. As a matter of fact many vehicles from cars to 18-wheelers come from the factory, and have for years, with these types of controls.

I personally would stay away from hydraulics for a few reasons. They are almost always heavier than air systems, they generally use more space, they tend to be harder on suspension and chassis parts because they're stiffer and because of that they also ride harder. Also don't forget that if you have a leak on an air system, you leak air. If you have a leak on a hydraulic system you leak fluid, sometimes lots of it. I can tell you a story about dumping five gallons on the road in the middle of Calexico at two o'clock in the morning sometime...

Anyway, a pneumatic system also has the benefit of not being bothered at all by cold weather. As long as you have a drier in the system between the compressor and air tank, you'll never freeze up.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 11:09 PM   #3
Nickboxer7
CF Enthusiast

What exactly is a pneumatic system?

So it would be better to look at something with airbags instead of hyros? I always figured hydraulics were gonna be rough with the frame, and i like the ride of air bags.

And airbag system doesnt seem extremely complicated either. I would just have to do a little research to make sure the car/truck had been set up nicely, and not rigged up.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:06 PM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
What exactly is a pneumatic system?
I'll take "do you know how to operate a dictionary?" for $50 Bill.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 02:20 PM   #5
Voda48
CF Lance Fan

Hobo, this is why I love to read your post. Helpful info an great sarcasm.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:09 PM   #6
Nickboxer7
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
I'll take "do you know how to operate a dictionary?" for $50 Bill.

And I did do that, and this is what it said

A system in which gas pressure differences and their rates of change are related to gas flows, their integrals and their rates of change.

A pneumatic system uses a gas, usually air, to convert, store or transmit power.

------
What is that supposed to tell me? Air ride? I was looking for some actual help, not just telling me to look it up! I don't want a dictionary answer, I want something in common terms.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:25 AM   #7
What
Banned

Quote:
What is that supposed to tell me?

Dude, it is there...
"A pneumatic system uses a gas, usually air, to convert, store or transmit power."

...opposed to a hydraulic system that uses a liquid to transmit power for whatever use you want it for.
What is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 06:21 AM   #8
Nickboxer7
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by What
Dude, it is there...
"A pneumatic system uses a gas, usually air, to convert, store or transmit power."

...opposed to a hydraulic system that uses a liquid to transmit power for whatever use you want it for.

I got the air part, but how was I supposed to know if there were different types of air systems? HUH? Do you assume I know everything since I was asking noob questions in the first place?